PDA

View Full Version : Post operation - who to tell...

Ian_Wannabe
12th Apr 2008, 11:09
Hey - I've just had my toncils out and I have a recovery time of two weeks.

I hold a JAA Class 2 medical and I was wondering if I have to let the CAA know about my operation?

Thanks

Bahn-Jeaux
12th Apr 2008, 14:28
According to the certificate, you need to contact your AME for advice, he will tell you what if anything needs to be done.

poss
12th Apr 2008, 14:47
Sounds strange to have to inform them of a toncil operation but I think you have to and they will advise on, if your taking any medication etc for it, whether you can fly or not.

DX Wombat
12th Apr 2008, 16:15
Sounds strange to have to inform them of a toncil operation Not at all, a tonsillectomy is performed under a GA (General Anaesthetic) so is considered more serious an event than having a couple of sutures put in under a Local anaesthetic. It can also make you feel rather rough for a while afterwards. Hope all goes well Ian. Remember - it's a good excuse for lots of ice cream and soothing drinks. :ok:

Bahn-Jeaux
13th Apr 2008, 09:56
According to my certificate, its not just an op under anaesthetic, its also any invasive procedure so that means if you have a local and end up being cut and stitched, the AME should be consulted then too.

The ice cream bit sounds good, yum.

Ian_Wannabe
13th Apr 2008, 15:00
cheers for the replies.

Im not intending on going flying because it just makes you feel really awful!

But, I wasnt sure if i was under any obligation to let them know of any operation that I have

Rocket2
17th Apr 2008, 12:05
Ian - I truly hope you op went better than Mrs R2's did last year, it has totally b@llocked her taste buds (by damaging a nerve in her throat) causing foods to taste bitter, sickly or "just plain horrible", this is a rare but apparently not unknown possibility & her chances of recovery are now virtually nil - even the NHS consultants have given up.
Wombat, only kids get ice cream, adults have to endure eating dry toast to stop any scabs forming :{, it's a quite serious (& very painful) operation by all accounts & in the event, not one that I'd recommend to an adult but I am somewhat biased.

gingernut
17th Apr 2008, 14:28
I think people tend to think tonsillectomy is the magical solution for their problems.

Whilst the majority of people make a speedy, uneventful recovery, it's worth bearing in mind that about 1 child a year dies as a result of this operation.

Worth bearing in mind when considering the surgical approach.