PDA

View Full Version : Gulfstream 550 training CAE Dubai Q

gulfstreameric
12th Apr 2008, 10:00
Our company has recently been approached by CAE for our recurrent training. Their facility for the Gulfstream 550 is in Dubai. I was wondering if any of you have been there, and if so would please let me know their experience. If you have trained previously at FSI in Savannah, or else, please let me know the differences and are you still going to Dubai or not and why ?

Thank you

Eric

FlyMD
12th Apr 2008, 10:20
Did my initial in SAV, and recurrents in SAV, DAL and DXB. 2 main differences:

- The logistics of the DXB package with CAE are completely worry-free. From the nice business class flight in with Emirates, including fast-track through immigration, to limo service every day between hotel and sim facility, to the well-appointed customer area, everything is pretty seamless. Any changes or wishes can be discussed at the front desk, where people are informed and helpful.

- Although the sim has been getting more reliable, and the instructors are generally very good and experienced people, DXB is NOT (yet) a Gulfstream center of competence. If a technical question arises, it's down to you or your instructor, and a couple times we ended up placing a phone call to the US to resolve a technical matter. Also, you tend to meet less people from the bizjet industry, because the center is small and mostly airline-centered.

All in all, if it saves you money or a paperwork hassle, I can recommend a recurrent in Dubai. Ideally, however, I'd like to "touch home-plate" every few years in SAV if possible...

DUAL RATED
14th Apr 2008, 08:32
I was down there in February doing my GV recurrent. Got delayed by 2 days due to sim breaking down. It seems to breakdown when they do a roll change from 550 to V etc. Just beware of this and you maybe delayed due to these issues, im not the only one it has happend to.

Next year i will book a course with them that doesnt follow a roll change, so this doesnt happen to me again, very annoying when your freelance and time is money. This seems to be an computer engineering staff issue that needs sorting and the staff in the office have to clean up the mess when it goes wrong. Good bunch of people down there otherwise.

I paid $25000 which included hotel, pick up and drop off form airport plus to/from school every day, Flightsafety quoted $33000 just for the recurrent nothing else. Sim times are not at silly O'clock as well like you get in the US sometimes.

One of their examiners is a JAA licence holder not just designated (Swiss guy) so is very knowledgable of JAA issues. If you talk to them directly in Dubai, Daniel is the man to talk to with regards sales etc.

I would recommend them and use again. i have also been Savannah x2 Dallas x2 Dubai x2 Wilmington x1 all on GV/550

RH

FL470
14th Apr 2008, 11:34
I did my G550 initial in DXB. Very nice package! They have about two to three really good instructors. The SIM is a bit the downside of the CAE-Package: EVERY SIM session was delayed at least 45 mins (max was 8 hours :ugh:).

pilotbear
15th Apr 2008, 13:25
Did my Hawker and recurrent in Dubai, love it there. Have done FSI in US and Paris but better treatment all round at CAE.:ok:

BizJetJockey
16th Apr 2008, 07:08
Hey Guys,

I'm off to Dubai to do my Hawker initial at CAE tomorrow.

Anyone got any useful tips about Dubai. The do's and don'ts, places to go, hints and tips for a hassle free month in the sandpit.

I've heard nasty stories about people being lucky enough to have a free couple of nights in a prison for having their credit card declined...:eek:

Cheers Guys

redsnail
16th Apr 2008, 12:50
Take a good look at your medication you carry with you. eg Codeine etc. I believe it's a prohibited substance.

The Emirates village over the road is great. There's an Irish pub selling pork roasts, a chinese and a japanese restaurant.

There are many shopping malls and souks to prowl around. (time permitting). Gold is a reasonable bargain. Watch electrical goods though, know your prices and current models.

One thing that we all did was take the desert tour in a 4WD with a "traditional bedouin" dinner with belly dancer.

Gulfstreamaviator
19th Apr 2008, 06:26
are 100% on the ball.

The operation at CAE, is rather patchy.

The sim is mostly unreliable. (rather more then it should be), the ground mode is very bad.

Many times a coffee break called, for the techs....they did have good techs, but they have movedn on.

The ground training, is not backed up by knowledge.

The sim guys are so so.

Two, (I think) JAA examiners, one is a EU guy, and well versed in JAA land.

Yes the package is excellent value, and no sim sessions after the sun passes the yard arm.

However I would prefer 101% knowledge , and well exeperienced typed trainers, than those mostly available.

SAV, has the advantage, every time, but yes it is 10-20% more expensive.

You get what you pay for.

470: 24 hours is the best delay so far.

glf

Willie Everlearn
19th Apr 2008, 20:59
Having had first hand experience with CAE (as an insider) I can tell you this particular sim in DXB had several major difficulties ramping up. To say otherwise would simply be misleading. It had nothing to do with heat, dust, humidity or anything else. Unless you choose to be that naieve to think it was.
To date, however, with much nurturing from the CAE engineering and deployment folks, it seems to be getting better. But it ain't there yet.
Otherwise, kinda nice to spend a few days in the Gulf. Especially in a fascinating place like Dubai.

Willie :ok:

DUAL RATED
20th Apr 2008, 08:23
Something i noticed when looking at the sims from the balcony in the building, all the sims there look quite swanky and new except the GV one stuffed at the far end. Does anyone know if the other sims in the building breakdown as much as this one has done in the past. i think the 125 gets roll changed as well but doesnt have the same problems as far as i understand. Maybe its time for a new one! or just keep it as a G550.

PS ive never felt so sick in a sim when taxing in this one really gets to the senses

FL470
20th Apr 2008, 10:38
Gulfstreamaviator,

24h???? - you win :p

Gulfstreamaviator
21st Apr 2008, 01:47
Actually sweat shirt.

The machine is not reliable.

Farnborough is scheduled to get a G5 or a G5/G550, or similar.

The we will see just how the CAE dollar wins over the uk STG.

Actually the 24 was after the 4 hour the night before.