PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from Unlicensed Version of Windows

Megaton
12th Apr 2008, 05:40
Numpty question I'm afraid: I'm running Windows XP through Parallels on a Mac. The copy of Windows is unlicensed and I would now like to correct this. Essentially I would like to use BBC iplayer but this requires latest Microsoft software which I can't download since Microsoft doesn't recognise my installation.

Presumably, I need to buy a licensed version of Windows? What is the cheapest and best way of doing this?

Many thanks

ZFT
12th Apr 2008, 06:20
I don’t know about the UK but upgrading to an official version here in Asia via the Windows Genuine Advantage programme was very cost effective. (Some of my staff thought they were doing me a favour by using ‘cheap’ copies of XP!!!).

I recall it was about GBP70 but I may be wrong as it was a few years ago.

green granite
12th Apr 2008, 07:56
Even if you update every thing you may still not be able to use the abortion that is the BBC IPlayer. It keeps telling me I haven't got the latest copy of flash player, which I have, tried all the work arounds it still told me that, gave up in the end.

cats_five
12th Apr 2008, 08:00
Buying an OEM copy along with a small bit of hardware is usually cheapest in the UK. Also, educational licences can be worth investigating.

Spitoon
12th Apr 2008, 09:48
http://www.ebuyer.com/search/?strSearch=&bolShowAll=true&intStoreID=6&intCatID=107 any good to you?

Megaton
12th Apr 2008, 15:29
Thanks guys but do I need an upgrade or full version? :confused::confused:

Spitoon
12th Apr 2008, 16:21
The copy of Windows is unlicensed and I would now like to correct this. To be legal I guess you'd need to buy a full version. I've helped someone do an upgrade from XP Home to Pro without any difficulties.

But I wonder whether MS would permit an upgrade to work on the same product - it would suggest something strange was going on. However, if you have, or can lay your hands on, the installation disk for a previous version of Windows and use this as the qualifying product for the upgrade I'd guess you have a good chance of it installing (you'd probably be best to uninstall the iffy copy first).

Background Noise
12th Apr 2008, 18:47
Just get the OEM version. That's what I have on my mac. You may be able to re-install it but the easiest (and recommended) path is to start a new virtual machine from parallels, install XP on that VM and then delete the old VM. Incidentally, XP installs well automatically with parallels and includes Kaspersky internet security which I found to be good. I think parallels tools installs automatically too.

Megaton
12th Apr 2008, 18:51
Many thanks guys. I knew someone would be able to help.

HP

planecrazy.eu
14th Apr 2008, 18:18
BBC Iplayer did that to me too, said i dont have the newest version of flash...

I tried on my other laptop, and it works fine?

Old laptop has Flash 8 = Works

New laptop has Flash 9 = Keeps telling me to install latest version

Strange hey...

I am lead to belive this is due to IE not configuring permissons corrent in IE security settings, setting everything to prompt or allow made flash 9 work on IPLayer, however, setting to default stops it...

green granite
14th Apr 2008, 20:25
It worked sort of on my old pc but it slowed everything down because it was p2p and my anti-virus software was checking all incoming ports.:ugh: