PDA

View Full Version : What's it like to be a KAL expat FO?

president
12th Apr 2008, 00:04
Hi all,

I am looking at some offers to go and work for Korean Air on a contract from risworth or ccl. The deal looks pretty much the same to me? Has anyone made the shift to Korean Air as First Officer on the 737 and has it met your expectations? How is your roster, days off in korea, pay and so on? It's a 5 year deal so what happens if you quit after 1 year because you don't like it? and finally... what's up up with the :mad: korean girls?

best regards,

president

angryblackman
12th Apr 2008, 01:07
Once your hired at Korean as a First Officer, you will spend your life there as a First Officer. The Koreans will not upgrade you, the foreigner...PERIOD.
The Koreans themselves don't want you or like you as a foreigner. They are a very nationalistic people who take great pride in self-reliance or JUCHE.
The korean girls will not date you, not that they don't like you, but they will find themselves in trouble with both their families and there employer (loss of job) if caught dating.
It's similiar to American society in the 1960's involving interacial associations between a blackman and a white woman. The movie..Guess who's coming to dinner with Sidney Poite, comes to mind.
If you realize where you sit in the pecking order within Korean society, you will find life easier, if not, your life will be a living hell.

azlee_19
13th Apr 2008, 01:01
Thats right, KAL will never upgrade. My friend said if we quit within 1 year, we'd have to pay some amount, like USD13k. after 1 yr, none so its okay.
Life sucks there, yes, u stay in Incheon Hyatt, goto work and come back, thats all. So if u r looking for LIFE, dont go there. Moneywise, YES. given 9 days continuous off days + 2 commuting days every month, thats better than living in sandpit.
Have u guys heard KAL closed their cadet programme? Why? thats why they're hiring FO on every fleet now.

Mat Tongkang
13th Apr 2008, 05:38
I learned from ex KAL boys in EY that KAL management reckoned pilots from their cadet programme were more likely to go on strike during industrial disputes. With the weak USd, they think it's more cost effective to hire foreign f/os as their Korean f/os are expensive ( relatively stronger Won ) as well as disruptive in industry issues. They prefer ex military pilots as these are pro-establishment " yes sir, pls do f**k me, no problem " types, who will support the management to the hilt as a form of misguided national pride. Foreign f/os are there until the military ( air farce, navy, armyair corps, marine air corps and police air corps ) can release sufficient number.