PDA

View Full Version : Broadband house move advice

Cornish Jack
11th Apr 2008, 19:17
Will be moving next month to a rented address for (I hope) a short period - 4 months-ish. The owner (a friend) has broadband activated with (God forbid!!) TalkTalk:yuk::yuk: My present provider is (almost as bad) Tiscali. My partner is on dial-up with Orange.
The question is - can I continue to use my Tiscali setup via the TalkTalk link and will my partner be able to continue to use her dial-up, similarly? The alternative, signing up with TalkTalk, is too horrid to contemplate:eek::mad:
Any thoughts, gurus, please?
TIA

frostbite
11th Apr 2008, 19:49
Not answering your question but I (rather nervously) signed up with TT six months ago and had no problems at all. They did what they said they would, when they said they would, and it's all worked from day one.

Keef
11th Apr 2008, 23:47
You should have no problem connecting via the TalkTalk broadband.

The only change you will probably have to make is to the SMTP server you use to send e-mails (if you use SMTP). Keep everything else the same - your POP mailbox will work fine from a TalkTalk connection.

Background Noise
12th Apr 2008, 09:00
You should have no problem connecting via the TalkTalk broadband.

But presumably using the existing Talk Talk account logon, not his own Tiscali one - ie not , as he says, 'my Tiscali setup via the TalkTalk link?

I have often connected via other peoples lines but by using their account details.

Cornish Jack
12th Apr 2008, 16:39
Frostbite - With that sort of success, I reckon you will be guaranteed a lottery win whenever you wish!!:rolleyes:
Thanks Keef and Background Noise - I think BN is looking at the area of concern .... in other words I will need to log on initially using the TalkTalk user name and password and then change to Tiscali - just like using an internet cafe?? and costs, if any, will accrue to the present TalkTalk customer??:confused:

Background Noise
12th Apr 2008, 18:42
I don't see why you will need to 'change' to Tiscali. You log on using the account that's on that line, once connected you can go anywhere. You may need the Tiscali home page if you use their webmail I guess. The great thing about normal home broadband connections is that they don't cost any more the more they are used (within any max usage plan) so you using it won't have to cost any more than not using it.

Keef
12th Apr 2008, 21:15
If his modem/router aren't already there and connected to TalkTalk, then you'll need a modem to connect using his TalkTalk details. Once you're on the web, then it's as I said above.

My daughter visits me regularly, with her laptop, and uses my WiFi with no further ado. She has my ISP set up as an alternative SMTP server, and that's it.

Cornish Jack
13th Apr 2008, 17:24
Thank you Keef and B N.
Sounds as though there should be no great problems.:ok: