PDA

View Full Version : no Glasscockpit MECIR in OZ?

weezythef
11th Apr 2008, 16:59
I have been doing a search and asking around for a glasscockpit MECIR provider but it seems to me like there isn't a single school that provides this service.The only place that does is Flight t.... adelaide but they only do it for their airline cadets.It's really sad and ridiculous at the same time that we don't have a 21st century MECIR school, OZwide!..unless I'm wrong??

(Bushido - 7)

TwoTango
11th Apr 2008, 20:28
I don't see the problem - the first job out is very unlikely to be on a glass cockpit either. In my opinion, there are more important things to worry about with a MECIR than whether the instruments are physical or computer generated - can you fly the aircraft, can you handle the procedures, etc etc.

Alex 009
11th Apr 2008, 22:17
Well said TwoTango. The 'real' fun starts when you are doing an NDB holding patern with a stonking crosswind and on top of that it is nice and bumpy too. I loved flying on dials for the MECIR, but just make sure you get yourself familiar with scanning the instruments! :rolleyes:

Paul Alfred
11th Apr 2008, 22:31
Bruce Hartwig Flying school (learntofly.com.au) at Parafield use the latest Diamond DA42 Twin Star with the G1000 System......as do FTA at Parafield.

Hartwigs charge over $600 and hour though......:{

Cheers, PA

Diversion
11th Apr 2008, 22:37
Its easy to go from steam to glass than glass to steam. Don't waste your money on all the fancy bits.

Chips
12th Apr 2008, 01:41
does CASA differentiate between a MECIR on a steam driven compared to a glass cockpit?

Jetpipe2
12th Apr 2008, 05:02
Glass is great stuff and very good but when the FD fails and the VPATH goes out you still have to be able to land on raw data.

If you look at every glasscockpit you will see a standby instrument that looks just like the HSI in a 1970's baron, excpet that its about half the size.

When you do fly a glasscockpit there is a whole new set of problems including automation overload. Flight Safety do a good course on levels of automation, and if you cant revert back to raw data and basic process then things are going to be interesting.

Rich-Fine-Green
12th Apr 2008, 05:12
weezythef:

Why not do an IFR rating on a Cirrus or Cessna with a glass cockpit.

Then you can upgrade to Multi IFR later on.

FTA have 4 Cirrus available. Hartwigs have a Cirrus on their line as well.

morno
12th Apr 2008, 07:39
Why do you need to do it on a glass cockpit??

As has been said, you're better off learning on dials first, so that when that glass way down the track does fail, you can fly without it!

morno

QF2
12th Apr 2008, 15:23
Sorry, this may upset some of the dials heroes out there. :}

It's not exactly rocket science going from glass to dials, at the end of the day you're still flying off the same instruments, just with a different layout. Some of you guys make it sound like you can only be a legend and a real pilot learning on the dials. If I were to use that same logic, I could say that none of you dials heroes would ever be able to work an FMC in an airliner because you haven't had this sort of experience before.

Of course I wouldn't actually say this though because its a stupid argument, as is the can't go from glass to dials argument.

Diversion
12th Apr 2008, 23:00
I am no dial hero as you say. I just believe when first learning to fly IFR that the dials / old technology don't give you anywhere near the information at one quick look. e.g NDB approach's - Fixed card ADF vs' RMI. The picking up and and transposing of the needle or turning the card. Against just looking down and seeing what radial you are on. The question - what happens when the flux mag ****s itself? Back to the fixed card again. Also with glass you get alot of extra things that help eg - Track box.

So i just believe that when starting out, dials make you think more and put the glass cockpit back into our own head.

RENURPP
12th Apr 2008, 23:09
Dials or Galss.
For F^%K sake, forget the EGO and find a good instructor and a reasonable price.
I suspect if "glass" cockpit is a higher priority than the training organisation/instructor/location you need a reality chack old mate.

I hope you don't wear your uniform to the shops, wings and all.

THE IRON MAIDEN
13th Apr 2008, 03:10
Why dont you book out a 737 sim for 20 or 30hrs? Im sure you can get your ME-CIR in that. AND a 737 Endo.. so you can bypass all that troublesome and needless GA flying. and walk into a left seat of a Virgin or Qantas 737.

Im sure the interview panel would be more impressed with 20 or 30hrs DUAL in a Glass cockpit over, 500+hrs CMD in steam driven clapped out B58 and C402s