PDA

View Full Version : VS 747 & A340, best economy seats?

come on
11th Apr 2008, 11:29
Hello to all you good people from Virgin.

I'm using some Virgin frequent flyer miles for a trip to the US shortly, LHR/SFO and JFK/LHR. Could any Virgin cabin crew advise me on the best seats in economy class please? There's two of us travelling and I've pre-booked 65A and C on the 747 to SFO which I believe is the back row in economy and has a little more room around the seats. We're returning from JFK on one of your A340's, which would be the best econopmy seats to pre-book on this aircraft? I appreciate the exit rows are preferable but can't be reserved in advance. I'm 6ft 2in and I normally travel at the front of the aircraft so I'm not very familiar with economy seating (I'm very happy to say) so I would appreciate any suggestions - many thanks in advance and thanks for the many good flights I've had with Virgin.

VFR Transit
11th Apr 2008, 11:55
Everything you need to know about Virgin and seats, can be found at http://www.v-flyer.com/

I went with VS to orlando and was on a gatwick 747, and checked what seats were the best before hand and booked them online FREE.

I would also point out if you can get tickets to the VS clubhouse, then make sure you get them, They are worth the weight in gold if you ask me.

VFR

I Just Want To Fly
11th Apr 2008, 12:37
The 340 configuration is 2 4 2 so it's much better. On the A346, the exit/bulkhead rows are 31 and 51, so try and get them, I know you can pay extra for them when checking in at the airport. Otherwise all the seats are pretty much the same. I would suggest getting a seat in the front section of economy. This zone is served their meals first, and therefore ensures that you will receive your first meal choice.

spoilers yellow
11th Apr 2008, 12:41
Try www.seatguru.com

lowlypax
11th Apr 2008, 13:19
If you order a special meal you generally get served first where ever you are seated. I am not a vegetarian, but find that airline vegetarian meals are more palatable than the regular ones. I have had the vegetarian curry on Virgin a few times and that has often left me wanting more.

Departures Beckham
12th Apr 2008, 09:28
I like Lowlypax's suggestion. I'd go as far as suggesting an Asian Vegetarian meal which many airlines offer, I used to normally get a curry dish of some description. When it wasn't curry it was noodles. Try it!

Virgin Boi
12th Apr 2008, 12:03
Tut tut tut... you guys know how to wind the crew up don't you!

Just remember, if you do decide to order a special meal that you don't actually require, not only will you slow the service down even more, but you will have to eat the meal you end up with, whatever it is, as catering is 100% to the pax load!

You have the best seats on the -400 already, and as for the -600, they are all very similar due to the 2-4-2 config. I'd perhaps say sit towards the front of Y on the -600 as its a bit quieter and less bumpy in turbulance.

Eboy
13th Apr 2008, 01:59
I'd go as far as suggesting an Asian Vegetarian meal which many airlines offer, I used to normally get a curry dish of some description. When it wasn't curry it was noodles.

If you like that, I suggest ordering the Hindu meal. Vegetarian and nicely spiced.

VAFFPAX
14th Apr 2008, 09:33
Now now Virgin Boi... We love you guys. Really. That's why _I_ fly VA. And I have to agree... sometimes the special meals are great - perhaps because they are less of a conveyor belt meal than the main meals (although - that said, I do like the main meals I get served).

VFR Transit - Thanks for the link to V-Flyer. It's brilliant I didn't know about this resource.

I'm happy to pay for emergency exit row seats, my legs wouldn't manage otherwise. And to open an emergency exit is, these days anyways, not the biggest of problems.

S.

PAXboy
14th Apr 2008, 12:10
VAFFPAXAnd to open an emergency exit is, these days anyways, not the biggest of problems.Until you have tried it - in an emergency + pax breathing down your neck and shouting at you to tell you how to do it etc.

You can buy the seat but occupation of it is subject to the usual requirements - or should be if all staff are following instructions. Many threads on that topic in this forum.

Enjoy the flights, I agree that VS are a good carrier.

Leezyjet
15th Apr 2008, 21:09
If you are tall, on the A346 avoid the window seats, and centre section aisle seats as these are where the IFE boxes are and take up half the leg room.

If you do get a 2 seater on the window side, make sure you take the aisle and let your travel partner have the window then you will have more leg room and you can always lean over them to look out.

:E