PDA

View Full Version : What can i fly with a CPL?

aviatordom
11th Apr 2008, 09:32
Hey all,

This may seem like an absolutely ridiculous question but anyway....

I doubt that i will get my ticket to fly airliners so what could i fly with a CPL?

Do airlines such as Eastern Airways allow pilots with just a CPL?

Kind Regards,

aviatordom

Juan Tugoh
11th Apr 2008, 12:43
You can fly most things with a CPL, as an FO - provided that you have a rating for it. Most pilots start off this way, as they do not have the hours for an ATPL, they will have a "frozen" ATPL. Essentially that is just a CPL with ATPL knowledge, i.e they have taken all the ATPL exams. When they have the requisite hours for an ATPL they upgrade their licence. You would in practice find that many employers will not let you fly long haul without an ATPL as they like you to be able to act as commander when the Captain is in the bunk, but that is down to the individual company. Quite what the rules are regarding being a Captain are with just a CPL I'm not sure, but then most people don't start that way. Hope that helps. Anyone else with greater knowledge please feel free to correct the above.

No Country Members
11th Apr 2008, 13:25
a "frozen" ATPL. Essentially that is just a CPL with ATPL knowledge,

To be more precise it is a CPL with Instrument Rating and a pass in all 14 of the ATPL theory exams.
Many airlines would like to see a Multi Crew certificate on top of this as a pre requisite to selection for a First Officer position.

13th Apr 2008, 19:32
You can fly most things with a CPL, as an FO - provided that you have a rating for it

Not quite.

In answer to your question, you stand to operate nothing in the airliner world without an IR.

Bear in mind that 99.9 percent of commercially operated flights around the globe are flown under IFR, your CV without an IR is going to get filed in the tray marked 'SHRED'. . . .

G-BHEN
14th Apr 2008, 19:10
A CPL is not tied to a type of aircraft. It is purely a license to allow you to make money from flying. If you wanted to fly a Cessna 150 for profit you would need a CPL.

To fly a twin engined aircraft to make money you'd need a multi engine/wobbly prop/bendy gear rating + CPL. For

So in theory, in answer to the question, you can fly pretty much anything with a CPL, provided of course you have all the other ratings you'd need.