PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Flying Training in Bournemouth

russellmounce
10th Apr 2008, 22:15
I've got my PPL, and now I'm looking to do my ATPL groundschool

I live in Dorset, and at Bournemouth there is the choice of BCFT or Cabair. Their prices are very similar, and the course is pretty much the same set up, I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who could help me make my mind up between the two.

I will probably be looking to stay with the same flying school for my CPL and IR.

Cheers.

HappyFran
11th Apr 2008, 08:10
If you read through the following thread it will give you a reasonable insight into pruner views on BCFT

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=319359&highlight=Bournemouth

Have you visited both ?

Both have good reputations, but it is down to personality, the cultures are different, so need to match your personality with FTO approach / culture.

I checked out both and choose BCFT, on Jetline programme, got PPL and now half way through ATPL theory.

If you want any further insight into my opinions, then happy to oblige.
Insidently I also live in Dorset / BMTH. :O

Fran

Could consider Old Sarum for hour building.....just a thought :O

wbryce
11th Apr 2008, 15:28
Russell,

Your quite fortunate to live in an area with lots of choice. I done my ATPLs at Cabair (top class groundschool course), then my CPL/IR at Professional Air Training (PAT), I wouldn't discount PAT out so early, they're one of the top modular providers in the country. Do a search and you won't find one bad word about them.

Good luck with your training.

russellmounce
11th Apr 2008, 16:04
I've heard a lot more about BCFT than Cabair.

I know they ran the part sponsorhip scheme with Flybe last year, but other than that I can't seem to find too much mention of them on here.

It would be great to hear from more people who did any training at Cabair, just for comparison.

alexpeterflynn
11th Apr 2008, 19:41
Completed my M/IR at EGHH Cabair in 07/08, a couple 'acts of God' were introduced which prolonged the course, but very happy with the quality of training and staff. Would totally recommend them for any training.

CY333
12th Apr 2008, 17:18
Lets not forget that Cabair has the 3-5-6 system while the BCFT the 7-7.
I believe that is quite good as you can take it a bit easier on each subject but recent info say that Cabair has increased the amount of students per class.

bcft_87
12th Apr 2008, 19:56
Hi,

I'd highly reccommend BCFT for your training :ok:, having done my PPL and ATPL groundschool along with the rest of it!

The groundschool is a good laugh, not a bad word to say about the instructing on it and they got me through it 1st time!

They seem to be increasing the intake of students on the courses though (ask them how many would be on yours, 14 or less is ideal). I've seen how many cabair have in one class, think its about 100 or so lol.

Its also a good place to do flying training, Im doing my IR atm and I've really enjoyed it. Its a great place to come to, they take time to get to know you and everyone knows everyone in BCFT.

I also did some hours building at a Cabair establishment, it wasn't the best. I'd rather train in paper aeroplanes than train with the Cabair place i went to. (Definately a safer option)

If you have anything you want to ask me, your welcome to

maxdrypower
13th Apr 2008, 09:54
I have just started at BCFT and so far can echo the above comments. There are 17 on our course

windypops
20th Apr 2008, 18:54
17 on your course, intersting seeing as BCFT still advertise the following on their website

"The centre is extremely proud of its high pass rate in all courses offered, and maintains this standard by training between 10 to 15 students in any one class."

I do rate their ground school but they are being a bit naughty, last class had 18 or 19 I think.

Skydrol Leak
21st Apr 2008, 04:17
i think Cabair prices are a rip off, but again it depends what is your budget and either you will do a modular or integrated training. I would recommend Fly PFT as they are really pro in what they're doing...

CY333
21st Apr 2008, 13:59
I believe that the GS prices are more or less the same at both schools.

HappyFran
21st Apr 2008, 14:25
CY333... Yes I think you are right about GS prices. They both also offer discounts / incentives from time to time.

The last time I looked Cabair offered £2,000 for ATPL GS if you did PPL at Cabair Blackbushe :hmm:. (cannot do PPL with Cabair at BMTH). And BCFT offered £2,000 if sign up for CPL/ME/IR... or something very similar ;)

CY333
21st Apr 2008, 16:55
As i said before I like the BCFT number of students approach but honestly the Cabair 3-5-6 system really makes me want to go there.

HappyFran
22nd Apr 2008, 08:00
I am at BCFT and a fan of them but having just completed the first block of 7. :yuk::yuk: I tend to agree with CY333 that breaking it up into 3 chunks looks attractive. :cool:.
If BCFT did a 3 block approach like Cabair, the choice would be a no brainer

Ptimat31
22nd Apr 2008, 08:55
Hi

i'm serioulsy considering going to BCFTfor my training ! Apparently Ryanair and Easyjet are going to Bournemouth but no one are proposing flights from Toulouse ! (South of France).
What is the easiest way for a froggy to visit the school ? Maybe going to Southampton or London ?

Thanks in advance ! ;)

Mat

CY333
22nd Apr 2008, 10:21
Yes, if BCFT had the 3-5-6 it would be most of the student pilots first choice, including mine.
For the time being I got my eye on Cabair.

wbryce
22nd Apr 2008, 12:01
More people in the class = more banter!! I can't quite remember our class size at Cabair but it was 20-ish (i'm too lazy to count), maybe a few more but it was great laugh at times...I would only consider class size being an important factor if they were sardine packing the classrooms.

Either GS provider will get you through your exams. Go with the one you feel comfortable with. Cabair GS got 10/10 from me! they have some of the most experienced GS instructors in the UK.

maxdrypower
22nd Apr 2008, 17:06
Spoke to our head honcho's today at BCFT. They state no more than 15 per class as a preference . This isnt set in stone but the classsroom will only acoomodate 18 anyway . Apparently the class sizes normally rise during the winter period , for obvious reasons . If they rise above that level then they will use two classrooms and reduce the sizes.
17 is a no problem number for me personally as was stated above more peeps more banter.
The three exam periods is also attractive but the 7-7 is a proven formula and works .Spose it depends on your view of having to goto gatwick or wherever three times instead of two .
As for Froggies coming over if you cant fly direct fto Bournemouth , Southampton is a stones throw . We currently have a french chap on our course . Not sure where he's from or how he got here etc , not doen gen nav yet so dont know where france is:rolleyes:

ATOME78
23rd Apr 2008, 16:43
I took a ferry from Le Havre, but I Think there 're new lines from Sth of Frce (Marseille or Bordeaux, with Ryan or EasyJ) Even you land at Bristol it's still better than London.

HappyFran
25th Apr 2008, 10:59
Latest ATPL theory results in :oh: at last

Very good for all students.

7 exams :sad: managed all passes got average 89% :O:O

What a relief...no school today...beer and playstation me thinks