PDA

View Full Version : What Comapny

Emirates_Rulz
10th Apr 2008, 22:07
Hi,

I am 16 years old. I am wondering what company would be the best to fly with in the next 10-15years out of Emirates, Cathay Pacific, and Singapore Airlines.

Can you please tell me their pay as well and lifestyle in their countries.

Thanks

MozYank
11th Apr 2008, 00:13
You'll oft hear the phrase "first to worst". In this industry, one airline may be tops one year and the next, due to Mgt. changes, poor planning or a general lack of strategy, may be the least sought after. Also, just because an airline is number 1, doesn't necessarily guarantee the QOL expected and deserved of her pilot group; vice-versa holds true, as well. Ask that question again a few months before you meet the minimum requirements for a given airline, and it will, unfortunately, still be a shot in the dark. So it is with this industry.

dusty777
11th Apr 2008, 08:13
The best advice to anyone considering an aviation career would be: Do not become a pilot for an airline. Manage one.
Stay in school, take business and investment banking, then after a few years toiling in the Biz world, learn to fly your own lear. You will live longer, have a happier home life and sleep when its dark instead of waking up, and dropping the gear at sun up.
This after 30+ years of "My Dream" Job.
My cousin does better flying his own fleet of planes..

Apart from that, what the previous poster said about local companies is true: the conditions will be different at each company in 5 years time.
"Company accomodation" may well be in the Crew Rest Facility on a B-777 or an A380. and a layover will give you time for a smoke and walkaround.:uhoh:

kingpost
11th Apr 2008, 10:46
Little chap.

A little bit of advise. The whole industry has changed, rather become an engineer, lawyer or go into finance. Much greater social stability and you won't end up sitting looking into a black hole when you're 60 doing long haul after a 24 hour turn around on a 17 hour flight.

Stay away

MrMachfivepointfive
11th Apr 2008, 11:44
By 2015 the Mercedes S class will feature an autonomous auto-pilot
By 2020 the Toyota Corolla will feature the same
By 2022 insurances will offer a premium if you promise to not touch the wheel of your car.
By 2025 the public will demand the same technology on airliners, claiming that the (human) pilot is the weak link in the safety chain.
By 2027 Boeing and Airbus will offer fully autonomous autopilots. First class will take the front seat. The 'aircraft commander' will now reside on the ground and 'command' at least 20 aircraft simultaneously.

My advise: Computer science, virtual reality, Human/Machine interfaces. You can still pilot your private microlight.

Emirates_Rulz
11th Apr 2008, 23:35
Well I have wanted to become a Pilot of about 7 years now and that is what I will do.

Driver of Buses
11th Apr 2008, 23:48
Life is full of experiences. We have to listen and learn from others, research as much as possible and then make a decision based on all the knowledge gained.

The pilot industry is continually changing and seems to follows some 7 - 10 year cycle of shortage/over supply. The T&Cs have deteriorated over the years but then again so have the T&Cs in all other business areas (except maybe for executive management positions!)

All I can suggest is go for your dream but be smart about it. Always have a contingency plan. Find out what you second great ambition or interest is in life and get a qualification for that. Worst case is you have an options when the rose uncolored glasses no longer work...

All the best for your career.

16th Apr 2008, 12:07
I like the fact that no one has answered the poor guy's question!

Including me . . . . ! :D

speedsalive
16th Apr 2008, 12:39
It is a very dynamic industry.. keeps on changing by the minute..or rather by the second. So u need to be very smart and keep a very dynamic thinking. When the time comes u will know wot to do and where to join..

cheers