PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Player

frostbite
10th Apr 2008, 19:51
I use WMP (9) to play a series of .wmv files from a fairly large collection in a folder.

Trouble is, it only sorts them in alpha format for playing, whereas I would usually like them to run according to file date.

The 'open file' box gives no view option to change the order and I can't find anything else.

Am I missing anything?

Farmer 1
11th Apr 2008, 07:10
Have you made a playlist?

If not, add them in the order in which you want them to play.

frostbite
11th Apr 2008, 17:04
Thanks, I did consider that but the list is quite fluid so it would mean a fair bit of messing about on a regular basis.

Idleness rules.

Farmer 1
11th Apr 2008, 17:52
How about sticking a number at the front of each title when you save them, then? Start with 001, and then list them in name order.

matt_hooks
11th Apr 2008, 18:57
I've got WMP 10, and if I bring up the library view with the folder I want, I can select which columns to show in the view by right clicking on the tabs and selecting "choose columns".

Then all you need to do is deselect a few of the columns, most of the default ones are completely unnecessary, then select either "date created" or "date recorded", date created probably the better of the two.

Now click save.

Now open the folder and click on the title at the top of the "date created" column. One click should give you ascending order, two clicks descending (I think, could be the other way round).

Now select a track, then hit control+A to select all the tracks, then drag them into the playlist window. The track ordering should be preserved. :)

bnt
11th Apr 2008, 19:41
In addition to the above, WMP10 has Folder View, which WMP9 may have too. (I've forgotten - that's how long ago I went to WMP10). You get it by a right-click on "Library" and selecting "Show More Views". That way, as long as the folder is included in your Library, you can browse and play from it directly, which is useful when the ID3 tags in the files are not present and correct.