PDA

View Full Version : New Eye Test for EK Pilots

Uplink
10th Apr 2008, 12:31
Has anyone got any feed back as to where the best place to go for this ridiculous eye test?

Is there anywhere that will not dilate your eyes ?

I have heard that this has opened a can of worms and has caused much distress for those concerned.

Any feedback appreciated.

Boeing 777-300ER
10th Apr 2008, 12:43
As part of the JAA extended eye exam, I did this eye pressure test (for glaucoma if not mistaken).

Instead of dilating the eye, a machine was used were a small jet of air was directed into each eye and the readings are as accurate and not painful.

oz in dxb
10th Apr 2008, 12:45
I went to the American Hospital. Went there and back by taxi.

They will have to dilate your pupils by use of several eye drops.
It won't hurt!!!!!! Honestly!

Oz

Oceanic
10th Apr 2008, 12:46
You now have to make an appointment on yet another of your dwindling days off to see a doctor at an external clinic, have him dilate your eyes in addition to the normal Ishihara and visual acuity test. You cannot drive for 4 hours so taxi's each way there and back home. Print the forms out yourself, white background photo etc, etc.

(It is not a glaucoma test as there are no drops administered for that, merely a pressure reading, if elevated can cause damage to the optic nerve.)
:ugh:

millerscourt
10th Apr 2008, 13:38
I guess that White Knight will have to take off his rose tinted glasses for this test. How will he cope with that?::D

Sheikh-It-Easy
10th Apr 2008, 13:59
What does this test look for?

Never heard of it and been doing medicals for years.

Persoanlly I think it is just another way of "control" to add to the long list.

Can anyone tell me if this is done anywhere else in the world. How well does one have to see to be a pilot anyway? Personally I think this is way OTT.

White Knight
10th Apr 2008, 14:15
He did just fine, thanks for your concern millers:yuk: Now crawl back into your hole...

Back to subject, there's a place in the new Healthcare City - the Ibn Sina building, or also the Fairmont Hotel. I went to Healthcare City - it was all quite pointless. I had heard that they didn't do the eye dilation there so I drove - they used the eye drops:rolleyes: Actually, driving home wasn't too bad with dark glasses and a peaked hat (luckily it was a cloudy day too!) The puff of air in the eyes I didn't like....

misd-agin
10th Apr 2008, 15:52
U.S. Air Force required the test when I applied a long time ago. Allowed a better inspection of the eye.

Several doctors have stated that looking into the eye is like looking inside the body. Several diseases can be seen in the eye before it becomes noticeable(cardio vascular disease being one?)

FAA doctor found a spot on my eye several years ago. Possible cancerous so he wanted it checked out. Required eye dilation by eye doctor for better exam. Had to do that once again several years later for routine followup. No big deal. I drive myself home afterwards(3 times)

You look crazy afterwards with your eyes completely dilated. It looks like you have completely black eyes. Folks ask "are you OK?"

millerscourt
10th Apr 2008, 18:23
So White Knight would become Black Night and look even crazier is that what you are suggesting misd-agin?:ugh:

EGGW
10th Apr 2008, 22:09
Fairmount was fine, no drops as the Doc got my eyes to co-operate without. They put some dye in the eyes, to check for something else, apparently the EK doc said this woman doc has a thing about this..... Anyhow, wasn't so bad.

EGGW

Ramboflyer 1
10th Apr 2008, 23:04
There is also a new rule from GCAA stating it must be done within 2 months of your medical expiry. Mine was outside of this and i have to repeat it all again.

whatzmyname
11th Apr 2008, 04:39
Go to Dr.Millicent at Fairmont Hotel,Shk Zayed Rd. She is very good.

schismatic
11th Apr 2008, 05:17
Its interesting to note how EK are pushing more and more stuff into our free time.

They also offload most of their printing onto individuals, not to mention the overhead in actually finding the necessary stuff to print through their contorted websites.

In many cases these admin tasks require multiple trips into town through gridlocked traffic and no parking.

On top of this they load flying duties into free time. For example duty ending at engine shutdown. Shutdown and securing procedures are being done for free. These are procedures in the FCOM, to be performed in time off!

On some flights it is mandated that we leave CBC at Departure -75 mins. Again briefings, security and aircraft transfer are taken with no recognition in terms of duty or pay.

To compound this, its impossible to get support on some admin issues. Try contacting anyone sensible on the phone....Recorded messages, full voice mailboxes, and endless promises to phone back are the order of the day.

There is a steady increase in admin being passed on. Soon issues will get missed and of course this will result in diciplinary action.

There are things that the company could do to aleviate the burden but they dont. Our free time is irrelevant to them and resented.

Rant over...

ODMEA
11th Apr 2008, 08:11
Guys if your pupils are not dilated its not a full examination. Yeah so your blurred for a couple of hrs afterwards.Small price to pay me thinks. Take sunglasses and use a cab or get someone else to drive you there and back. You def should not be driving if you're going to be dilated!:=

There are 100's of eye diseases to be had, glaucoma is just one.
If you're over 40 have it in the family you need to be checked. Your cornea, Iris, the jelly inside your eye, the blood vessles, optic nerve head, retina all need to be seen to rule out any probs.

Oddy:)

BYMONEK
11th Apr 2008, 15:05
Schismatic

The Company does allow for the shutdown checks etc by adding 30 minutes to the on chocks time for post flight duties. It's just not part of the flight pay. Also, not seen anywhere where it mandates us to leave CBC STD -75 minutes. It only advises us that the Cabin Crew will finish their briefing by then. There's a big difference!

I do, however, agree with the rest of the post regarding all the admin duties that are expected to be done on days off. I'm surprised so many guys were prepared to get up at 6 on a day off to stand in line for 2-3 hours to get a US visa. I always seem to have a prior appointment on the day they plan and will continue to do so until they roster it!

Unfortunately, the lack of a visa means I miss those popular IAH trips :rolleyes:

robert lewis
10th May 2008, 16:03
I just interviewed last week. I have a 5 year old daughter who would be starting kindergarden this fall. I hear its impossible to get you kid into a school for next year this stage in the game. I don't care if its an OZ, Limey, or Yank or international school. (Just a good one.) Anyone have suggestions. I would love any ideas or input or school suggestions.

Farrell
10th May 2008, 16:09
I've had this dilation thing done.
It doesn't hurt at all but it is weird!

Light sensitivity is the real drag. Bring out the darkest souq raybans you can find.
Focussing was a bit of a problem too but manageable.

Trader
10th May 2008, 18:41
Royal Dubai has spots available and I am sure others do as well.

Wizofoz
11th May 2008, 03:35
Shall we nominate Inverter for "Blackest Pot calling Kettle same" for critisizing Robert Lewis' English? We should all have a whip-round and buy him a computer that does capitals and full stops.

"To Interview" as an alternative way of saying "To be interviewed" is a common derivative in North American English. Incorrect to our ear, but it is a living langadge and subject to change through use.

Had the eye thing done at American Hostpital, but my neighbour who is a Doctor reckons it's all now been stopped.

Vibrant
11th May 2008, 18:56
Is this eye test with drops also done at Etihad?

Wiley Post
12th May 2008, 06:13
Vibrant,

It is a GCAA requirement so yes. Emirates, etihad, Air Arabia, Ga operators... all the same.

Cheers,

W :)