PDA

View Full Version : Turboprop traning

wallyb
10th Apr 2008, 11:28
Can you train to be just a turboprop pilot and is it cheaper.
Also say after traning and you find it hard to get a job with an airline, could you not just work as a flying instructor untill you land a job?

sketchy
10th Apr 2008, 11:51
Hows it going Josh?

Yeah, if you wish to become a turboprop pilot, all you need to do is a fill in a form that you can get from the Post Office and send it to the CAA along with a cheque for £21.50 to cover their administration costs. After allowing the obligatory 28 days for delivery, a turboprop licence shall fall through your letterbox, at which point you may start looking for jobs. As you can see, it works out a helluva lot cheaper than training for a jet pilots licence.

With regards to being an instructor, you sound far too intelligent for that line of work so I'd just concentrate on flying the big birds if I were you.

No Country Members
10th Apr 2008, 11:53
Not really, your type rating after CPL/IR determines turbo prop or Jet. ARGUABLY turbo prop type ratings can be cheaper - hopefully your company pays anyway.

To your second question. Yes, of course, when you have qualified as an instructor. You might need a more vocational attitude though to become a good one.

I know, I'm biting.

mad_jock
10th Apr 2008, 11:57
A turboprop is just a type of aircraft.

To be able even start the type rating course for the turboprop you need exactly the same qualifications as someone doing a jet type rating.

turboprop operators tend to prefer ex instructors because you will be considered for LHS in a relatively short time compared to Jet FO's.

Deano777
10th Apr 2008, 11:58
Or, on a more serious note, (from sketchy's post) no you can't just train to be a turbo-prop pilot, the license is exactly the same regardless of jet/TP, the type rating is "generally" cheaper for a TP but that's all.

And yes technically you can just flight instruct until you land a job but it isn't as simple as that, the work won't just fall in your lap.
Usually the training from 0 hrs to fATPL is a long hard road, but once you get that license it will feel as though you are back at the bottom of Everest again (unless you're quite fortunate).

I suggest you do some research, like check this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=251490) post for instance.

D777

speedrestriction
10th Apr 2008, 20:47
Everyone knows that TP pilots are the blondes of the airline world......

.....we have more fun;)

sr

preduk
10th Apr 2008, 22:38
wallyb,

I'm sure if you got an job with a TP operator they would love for you to stay for the whole of your career. Most of them are used by low hours pilots as a step into bigger aircraft so have problems retaining experienced captains.

As others have said, it would be the same training as other aircraft, however when it comes to getting your type rating the cost/bond would be cheaper.

The only issue is they get a smaller paycheck than Jet pilots, unless you did your training with OAA and have a £130k loan to re-pay.