PDA

View Full Version : Who wants a Jetstar Command??

Rostov
10th Apr 2008, 11:26
Apparently not that many!
The latsest round of commands where allocated today with 4 NZCH and 2 YMHB commands left wanting!!
How funny is it that not one person in Jetstar either has the requirements or the desire to take a Jet command in NZCH or YMHB!!!
Or 28 F/O slots through-out the network...
BBBWWWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH:D:rolleyes::E:ok:
What a Fu%^ing joke of an industry!
but the EBA got up!!!!
but there is no pilot shortage!!!

Ndicho Moja
10th Apr 2008, 11:43
Rostov, reading your post just gives me the screaming Sh1ts.

This is not a shot at the messenger.

I first listed my qualifications with JQ back when they were first starting, back in late 2004. Updated on more than one occasion. My first choice for bases was Hobart followed by OOL and then MEL. I have 1000s of hours on the bus. Still current even, have a right to live and work in Oz and even have an Australian ATPL with the rating. I have yet to hear anything from this mob.

Oh well.

There is a reason for everything!:=

dodgybrothers
10th Apr 2008, 11:53
you had to wear a blue shirt post 89 to get a look in, thats why.

Superbad
10th Apr 2008, 13:00
Just noticed this on www.climbto350.com
Jetstar??

April 9, 2008
LFXS (A319 & A320 Captains & First Officers - Australia)
Tel: (847) 735-1300
Fax: (847) 735-1320
Email: Click here to Apply
Web Site: http://www.lfxsearch.com

Non-North American airline seeks Airbus and First Officers. Location Australia

Artificial Horizon
10th Apr 2008, 17:02
I have been through interview, planning exercise and all of the hoops. Had an email to say that I had made it to the last stage and JQ would be checking my references.... That was 3.5 weeks ago and my references still haven't been contacted even though they have been sent emails to confirm when they are available. Everytime I call them I am told the references will definately be checked within the next few days, I pass that on to my referees and then nothing......!! Who carries out these checks. So now I feel like I am in limbo and the two referees are getting pissed off ... doh:}... so they can't be that desperate.

UK / NZ / OZ ATPL
4800 TT
2500 A320
1000 DHC8

Wings Of Fury
10th Apr 2008, 18:10
Well said dodgybrothers,

from what i hear must be a part of their C&T :ooh:

aulglarse
10th Apr 2008, 22:21
AH, I have a mate in OZ in a similar position. I hear everything is being put on hold to allow 35 or so visa 457 holders to start. Good luck to the 'promoted' f/o's with their 12 month wait for command training.:ugh:

Ready to be corrected on this one.

fender
10th Apr 2008, 22:30
Did you maybe consider that these Commands may be subsequencial Commands?
New positions that come about when allocated positions are filled.
Just a thought,

JMAN
10th Apr 2008, 22:46
4000HRS Total
2300hrs jet
600hrs A320
Aus ATPL right to live and work in oz. Had my application in for about 12months but no news either. I thought there was a shortage too

breakfastburrito
10th Apr 2008, 23:04
Aus ATPL right to live and work in oz.An optimist might would would hope this is just bureaucratic incompetence, a cynic that you are not "vulnerable" enough.
You can bet the 457 visa holders escaping Africa won't cause any trouble for management... until the day after they gain permanent residency.

flyneehao
11th Apr 2008, 02:10
Skills and experience have nothing to do with your chance to get an interview or to be employed by an Australian carrier.
This is a fact.

So what is they are looking for in an applicant then?

Metro Boy
11th Apr 2008, 02:11
Somebody willing to pay for an endorsement?

Rostov
11th Apr 2008, 04:12
No, they where in fact the advertised slots in Christchurch and Hobart.

fender
11th Apr 2008, 09:03
Well that explains everything. They are the bits of australia that broke off and floated away.

alidad
11th Apr 2008, 10:46
Yas, but some of them swam back across the Tismin and populated Tasmania:E

Bigbus330
11th Apr 2008, 11:54
8000TT, 4000 Airbus 320/1, 330, 340. Aussie citizen. Aussie ATPL. Application submitted twice in last couple of years, not a word apart from acknowledgement email.
Where's the pilot shortage then???
:(

Plastic fantastic
11th Apr 2008, 17:58
ooh:Ooooooooh!

Bigbus330
11th Apr 2008, 20:31
BigBus330
They're scared of you!
Mat,
Didn't think I was that threatening?
First time for everything I guess
:D

Naverick
11th Apr 2008, 21:30
Mods,

Mudflats out of line, sinbin 'im for a while.

MIIVJ
12th Apr 2008, 12:09
What is going on at Jetstar...why wouldnt anyone take the upgrades in those places?

What is it like at Jetstar....pay...rules...how do they treat you?

Someone that is there and knows; could you please fill us/me in.

Thanks.

yowie
12th Apr 2008, 12:38
How about a lack of ability to actually train anyone who wants to do it anyhow.:}

12th Apr 2008, 20:01
That is an awfully big statement and if true, should result in their AOC being pulled. You have an obligation to tell more.......

Captain Sherm
12th Apr 2008, 23:22
Around the world, right now, there are hundreds of Australia pilots who have "paid for their jobs" through direct payment for their type rating, salary sacrifice, bonds, reduced training pay etc etc. What about those guys?

I'd bet that pilot for pilot Jetstar F/Os are no different in standards, motivation and background than F/Os at any other middle size western airline. If you have rich parents and they pay for your instrument rating and multi time then you might gt a job 2 years earlier than someone not so advantaged. Someone "bought" your job didn't they.

Flying is too good a life to get all tangled up over definitions.

Kangaroo Court
13th Apr 2008, 00:04
Captain Sherm,

There can't be too many that paid for their jobs to fly abroad, especially when they could have stayed at home and done that. In fact I have worked abroad and can't think of one that paid for a job...or took salary sacrifice(???!!). What is that anyway, some satanic ritual you now do to get through the selection process?:ugh:

distracted cockroach
13th Apr 2008, 04:20
So back to the original post then, does this mean there are F/Os in Jetstar who have turned down the opportunity of a command just because of where it is based?
When the opportunity for my first command came up, I took it regardless, and that was on a turboprop. I know now that life is about more than what seat you sit in/aircraft you fly, but in the early stages of my career, initial command wasn't something you turned down....unless you weren't right in the head. Christchurch and Hobart might not be the first choice for many, but surely you are unlikely to be stuck there forever...and they are not exactly Baghdad or Kabul. There are plenty of people who go to worse places for jobs. Speak up guys.....what's the matter with ya's???

Stationair8
13th Apr 2008, 05:14
You never knock back a Command position.

Either the FO's are a bit soft and don't want to leave mum and dad, are in their comfort zone or can't be bothered doing the hard work for a command upgrade.

As one of the previous poster said Hobart or Christchurch isn't third world.
Hobart should have a Harvey Norman store and Gloria jeans coffee shop, Christchurch would at least have TV by now.

maui
13th Apr 2008, 05:20
Kangaroo Court

A bit over 3 years into my OS stint I was faced with redundancy, as my type was being phased out, or I could choose continued employment on either A330 or 777, on the basis that I paid for my rating (25,000 USD salary sacrafice over 2 years)) but on full MD 80 pay plus per diem, until I qualified.

I choose continued employment and have now spent 8 years flying a delightful machine, the 777. Interestingly, an american colleague of the time stood on his digs spat the dummy and departed back to the states where he spent several years playing keyboard on a 727, ground instructing, and eventually after about 5 years left seat of a 320.

Who do you reckon made the better choice?

My circumstances are not unique. I know of about 20 who made the same choice and probably in excess of 100 who have achieved the same by buying endo's for a specific job. I don't like it , but it is the reality of todays world.

Regards Maui

Its the Pleats
13th Apr 2008, 06:19
Re JQ commands... Most FOs have bids in for all bases. Not all FOs have the minimum hours for initial command. In fact, all FOs who have been at JQ for more than 12 months are senior enough for a command but 90% would lack the experience. So, with all these aeroplanes coming the company has been employing a large amount of DECs. A combination of enticement and the fact that some/most are training captains means that they are going to MEL/SYD.
So, its not that nobody wants the command its just that we have to wait until we have 1500 hours on type before we are given the go ahead to start the training process.

Hope this helps!

DeHav
13th Apr 2008, 06:24
Who do you reckon made the better choice?

For you or the greater good?

I don't like it , but it is the reality of todays world.

It's only the reality because we've made it the reality. we are our own worst enemy. :ugh:

maui
13th Apr 2008, 07:14
D Hav

I'll do a deal with you. I will gurantee you that I will never pay another cent for my own self interests, when you give me a guarantee of 100% solidarity.

BTW Ive got the stripes for protection of the greater good. Or are they scars?

Maui

Captain Sherm
13th Apr 2008, 09:18
I think Maui has it right. I, and many like me from THAT year, would never walk past, or over, a pilot with a legitimate right to the endorsement I was offered. But when, as a 40 year union member I am asked to reflect on whether a salary sacrificed 777 endorsement dis-serviced anyone, I have to say a resounding NO. The First Officers I helped train along the way are brothers and sisters, whatever the colour of their passport. And a piece of self-righteous stupidity like refusing to make a small down-payment on my future would have helped them and my life not one bit.

Fact is......somehow, some way every pilot pays for his/her endorsement.

As for Jetstar pilots, they have the sheer joy of waiting less than one handful of years for their command. My time to 4 stripes was measured more in decades. I wish them well.

rescue 1
13th Apr 2008, 10:47
My time to 4 stripes was measured more in decades.

An airline is a cyclical business, all booms must bust, and so will the quick rides to Command.

KRUSTY 34
13th Apr 2008, 11:10
"A combination of enticement and the fact that some/most are training captains means that they are going to MEL/SYD."

So Pleats, what sort of "enticements" are we talking about?

Q4NVS
13th Apr 2008, 13:30
Not all FOs have the minimum hours for initial command. In fact, all FOs who have been at JQ for more than 12 months are senior enough for a command but 90% would lack the experience.

So what are the Command Requirements exactly?

1500 hours on Type + ....?

:zzz:

dodgybrothers
13th Apr 2008, 13:32
yes, ok, we're here, this should be good. What enticements are there??

Its the Pleats
14th Apr 2008, 00:16
The enticement is the MEL or SYD base, thats all.

saabsforever
14th Apr 2008, 01:41
No Pilot shortage. Just short of the sort of keen young lads with a bit of Turboprop experience in some Aussie or NZ company, for that tends to be the very narrow band from which Australasian Airlines recruit, unless you have a mate somewhere in the system. Experience counts for little. I am 45. 6500 Hrs, 3200 Saab, incident free flying all over the World and no people complaints either. Have decided to come home and think I have found an old turboprop night freighter gig, pays enough to semi retire from Aviation and use my skills elsewhere. Not required by Pacific Blue, Virgin Blue, or Jetconnect and not a word from Jetstar. But a Christchurch base would suit me for the rest of my flying life, 20 years or so. Guess they will bring in a South African instead!:hmm:

GANKER
14th Apr 2008, 02:54
Have 7000 hrs 4000 airbus not a word from them either!
Why do we need a bunch of damm yarpies!

Bula
14th Apr 2008, 03:14
Despite the pilot shortage, Jetstar is full (for the moment).. recruitment is on hold for a few months.

As for some of the sky gods out there... get a life fellas, some of you really think your %^&& doesn't stink.

ACMS
14th Apr 2008, 04:18
Nicely written by a 5 y.o.

Repeat after me

" I am not smarter than a 5th grader"

( it's a good show to, sad really )

squidward
14th Apr 2008, 04:44
Yep, recruiting on hold until July / August. Thats what I heard too. Delays with the 787, and changes in the recruiting process apparently.......

flyby
14th Apr 2008, 05:23
Squid , any further info on this change to recruitment at Jetstar.Ive got a interview coming up this month and any further insight would be great. By the way any one know where they are short of F O 's at the moment and whether current recruitment is just for the A320. cheers

Jetsbest
14th Apr 2008, 07:20
...How do all the enthusiastic & almost-ready Jetstar F/Os, who were led to believe they'd have a command really quickly, feel about their managers (& prospects) now that DECs will stall their career path indefinitely despite the 787 delays which could reasonably have been expected to ensure that all current F/Os will have enough type experience for command when the next big expansion comes. :ouch:

And what of the 'interoperabilities' planned for Pacific Airlines (ie Jetstar Vietnam) as GD has been quoted in today's newspapers; perhaps more flying to the lowest bidders will be threatened again by the people who've loved the JPC's compliance so much. Or perhaps "your command slot is based in Ho Chi Minh if you want it." And I can hear the next management step already: "If those pilots all work to the same rules then why shouldn't they fly even more Jetstar-branded sectors within & through Oz?" :rolleyes:

I'm sure I've heard that many Jetstar F/Os have updated their CX/QF/EK hold-file resumes. Anyone confirm? Anyway, all the best for the tough decisions ahead folks... :rolleyes:

mohikan
14th Apr 2008, 09:11
JB

The JQ F/O's will not have updated their resumes' nor will they be looking at leaving.

The believe all the JPC tell them - after all you cant trust anyone else can you ?

Hope you all enjoy flying with a guy who has taken your command and is here on a 457 visa.....

At some point someone from within your group has to stand up and say "this is not impulse airlines anymore and we are a worthwhile commodity to an airline" and negotiate accordingly.

an3_bolt
14th Apr 2008, 09:28
Just thinking.......

If 457 visas are being used to recruit and fill positions when there are other qualified and willing people to fill these position.....

...... - instead of just taking it in the preverbal - if you are qualified and willing as some people have expressed - write to the ministers concerned - aviation and immigration. Better still - find a sympathetic minister who will raise this at question time in federal parliament......

But just thinking......

genex
14th Apr 2008, 13:41
Oh dear, someone has ruffled the feathers in the sky gods nests. Settle down little ones.

Who said all the 457 people were captains anyway? And what if JQ have managed a wonderful growth rate that sees them running out of Captains? Not everyone has to grow as slowly as the legacy carriers do they? Or is that a law? Sorry...silly question.

And if the proposed (AIPA clones) response is for JQ F/Os go offshore to get a better future how can you think it right that Australia only send pilots OS, never receive them? Isn't that hypocrisy? Sorry....silly question.

This stuff makes me feel ill. Post something positive about the world or go play on daddy's yacht at on the harbour. When Australia's carriers aren't growing fast, thats the time to whinge, not now.

ACMS
14th Apr 2008, 14:30
Australian jobs for Australians first.

And don't tell me there aren't any qualified Australian Pilots to do the work.
There is a shortage of Qualified Australian Pilot's willing to work for low pay.

You offer us the money and we'll come home to fly your shiny new jets.

Show us the money. ( and that goes for V Australia too )

mohikan
14th Apr 2008, 21:24
Genex.

I have nothing to do with AIPA or QF.

I have gone back and read a few of your posts - you are and angry angry man when it comes to the perception that someone, somewhere might have been lucky enough to get a better job then flying gerry's beech 1900.

Interesting that you would allow such emotions to influence your career decisions.

Nevertheless if the JQ pilot body is happy with 457 pilots, then thats its choice.

Just out of interest - Can you tell me where your own personal line in the sand is ?

Specifically, is there a point where you say 'enough is enough'. ?

Im curious......

motaderim
14th Apr 2008, 22:14
Getting a job in Australia ain't that easy no matter how experienced you are. You still have to know a good amount of people before you get a look in to. Like band of brothers and looking after mates. Unfortunately aviation in Oz hasn't changed that much like the rest of the world...where's the "fair go"?...it's a jealously guarded industry and if you're not one of the "mates" depending on which side of '89 you're you'd be wasting your time. Two factions in Oz, Pre-'89 and Post-'89. These two factions weigh more than your impeccable resume. That's a fact.

Keg
15th Apr 2008, 05:43
genex, you must have a farm with an excess of straw considering that you keep building these ridiculous straw men that you then take great delight in tearing down. The shame is that you're deluding yourself and PPRUNE readers- such as mohikan- are cottoning on to it.

Wingspar
15th Apr 2008, 06:31
When Australia's carriers aren't growing fast, thats the time to whinge, not now.

Be careful what you ask for, you might just get it!

genex
15th Apr 2008, 06:42
Keg you're probably right. I do go over the top sometimes....I apologize.

However a couple of points are valid whether I make them or not. Over the decades, and not just since '89, Australian pilots have been heading OS for jobs. I did it, for years, you probably know pilots who've done it. Many young Australian pilots now start their jet careers OS. I just feel uncomfortable knowing that and then seeing the "Australian jobs for Australian pilots" stuff.

I don't think that there's going to be a flood of 457 DECs. There may be some but unless JQ are very foolish, there wouldn't be one qualified F/O missing out on a command because it was taken by a 457 driver. That way would lie instant lawsuits and ministerial ntervention for sure.

permFO
15th Apr 2008, 09:07
I don't think that those outside of Jetstar realise just how many Commands have come up in the past 12 months . A figure off the top is about 80. As a lot of the new recruits in the past 2 years have been blokes with zero jet time, then the positions have to be filled by people with experience. The rights and wrongs of bringing people in from outside as DEC can and will be argued will avtur gets turned into thrust.

TCAS Shennanigans
15th Apr 2008, 09:12
As a current employee who occupies a RHS, myself and many others have no desire to gain a command with this airline.

When the time and opportunity presents itself which will hopefully be sooner rather than later, we will move on and leave the blue shirts and visa acheivers to it.

As I said, I am not alone, better to move on than become one of the bitter and twisted.

Jetstar - had the potential to do great things and yet .........................

Keg
15th Apr 2008, 10:22
genex. Fair enough. I tend to agree that we won't see many/any 457 visas. The reality is that these were a bogey man and I suspect their use will be quite limited.

I do disagree on a point about expat pilots. Traditionally we have sent our guys o/s to airlines that had NO home grown ability to develop their own pilots. Emirates, CX, Qatar, Royal Brunei, etc have no GA industry in their location to support the development of their crew. Therefore they had no experienced pilots to draw upon and thus crew for these carriers came from all nations. This is a very different thing to Australia where we still have a number of quite experienced aircrew in GA- and continue to train them- to draw upon before considering foreign crew. I'm not adverse to foreign pilots but using foreigners to keep pressure on lower pay and conditions of local people isn't right. If 457 visas are used then there certainly are F/Os missing out on upgrades....all members of the QF group too! See my next point for more on that.

permFO. There are at least eight hundred pilots in Australia with multiple thousands of hours on heavy metal who could immediately upgrade to command if only J* were prepared to pay more- and QF prepared to release them. That would solve some of the 'experience' issues that some seem so concerned about- concerned enough to be sending recruiters to foreign shores to find suitably qualified personnel. The truly sad thing is that many of us are only too well aware of the opportunities being offered to people who aren't even members of the QF group- or those that have become members of the group within the last couple of years- whilst those with many years service behind them are ignored and marginalised. Ironic that Joyce bangs on about 'leveraging the considerable experience of Qantas' to expand J* into Singapore and Viet Nam whilst at the same time excluding from his mind the possibility that mainline pilots make up a very significant part of that 'considerable experience' that he continually bangs on about.

The reality is that were J* F/O slots opened up around the QF Group in the immediate aftermath of J* kicking off- and the same for subsequent command slots once all the Impulse F/Os had their opportunity for upgrade to command- then we wouldn't be talking about F/Os having too little experience for upgrade. They would have had five or six years online as S/Os and F/Os by now. It may have also minimised those like TCAS Shenanigans who are only passing through.

obie2
15th Apr 2008, 10:42
TCAS is not alone in his comments re dissatisfaction with the "system" operating within Jetstar. Others in the past have made similar comments on Prune.

But what exactly are these complaints? I'm not aware of anyone expanding on them!

galdian
15th Apr 2008, 11:45
TCAS
Have to ask the question as confused (more so than usual, sadly :()

If you are "happy" to not gain a command in pornstar would mean one of two things:
1. using porn to gain jet time and look at Emirates/Cathay etc as a DEC F/O with the time contraints to command that will apply; or
2. taking your "extensive" non-command time overseas and trying to convince/con someone you are worthy of a command.

Happy to be corrected but command time still king, copilot time relative tits on a bull.
If you've found a third plan, a "cunning plan " as Baldrick would have described it, I'm sure many would like to hear should you wish to be heard.

Asking from ignorance
regards
galdian

permFO
15th Apr 2008, 12:09
Keg- If its about the money then QF is the place to be as you will get more money as a 744 F/O than you will as a Jetstar Captain. All QF pilot's at the time of the MOU were eligible to go to Jetstar and all who did so are now Captains. I'm certain that Jetstar would have taken as many QF pilots as it could have because of their experience, but were not permitted to take LOA by mainline HR, as you yourself said. That would seem to have limited some of Jetstar's options for obtaining experienced crew.

In this modern world of aviation politics there is idealism or pragmatism and for my own reasons I chose pragmatism to attain the goal of a LHS. Idealism would have seen me retiring as a permanent F/O.

CaptCloudbuster
15th Apr 2008, 23:42
All QF pilot's at the time of the MOU were eligible to go to Jetstar and all who did so are now Captains.

Not true. := Cookie springs to mind

I'm certain that Jetstar would have taken as many QF pilots as it could have because of their experience

Only problem is Jet* Management insistence on Mainline guys resigning from the mothership first. :rolleyes:

Veruka Salt
16th Apr 2008, 09:48
.... as well as having to pay for an A320 rating :yuk:

permFO
16th Apr 2008, 12:07
CC- Not sure who Cookie is but there would probably be a reason why he doesn't have a Command yet. There are unfilled Q numbers below me and so his seniority number should not be a factor. Jetstar only insists on the resignation when you become a Captain. As my post said its idealism over pragmatism if you want a Command but can't stand the thought of floating free from the mothership, the same choice applies for paying for the rating.

You don't have to pay for any rating and you can earn good money on good conditions in Qantas but if you want a shot at the LHS you have to have time on your side. At Jetstar while the money and conditions are not as good, the time factor- at the moment-is favourable.

Aviation has demonstrated repeatedly that the window of opportunity can in fact be a career guillotine if you don't get through it in time.

mohikan
16th Apr 2008, 12:10
Keg can confirm this but friends in QF have told me that the issue is that Qantas mainline will not release F/O's and S/O's who want to go to JQ

Ochre Insider
16th Apr 2008, 21:31
Word is the 6 extra A330's will be on wetlease.

The crew will have very strange accents...

hotnhigh
16th Apr 2008, 23:23
How many new commands in Jetstar in the last 12 months? 80,90,100?
How many new commands in mainline in the last training year? 54. Geez what a huge number for a large pilot group. I haven't had a chance to pull the seniority list and actually work out what the actual new commands forthis year are, as opposed to just changing types are for the next training year. But I wouldn't be suprised if it's radically less after the less than pretty fso detailing next years training. The future is bright, the future is orange.:yuk:

Keg
17th Apr 2008, 08:11
One other point to my earlier post.

QF pilots also dislike the fact that QF pilots been excluded despite the SH contract stating that QF would discuss LCC with us, despite assurances that we'd get a seat at the table before J* even took off on their first service and despite assurances that if a particular EBA got up then we'd be a seat at the table to discuss J* international. The very same pilots who have played a significant part in the 'reputation for safety'- deserved or otherwise- that Simon Westaway bangs on about whenever a journo questions any incident to do with J*.

:mad:

Spaghetti Monster
17th Apr 2008, 12:36
despite the SH contract stating that QF would discuss LCC with us

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from memory it actually said something like 'QF would discuss a B737 LCC with us'. In other words, there was a whopping great hole there which Geoff drove straight through.

despite assurances that if a particular EBA got up then we'd be a seat at the table to discuss J* international

Again, what Geoff actually said was that if the EBA didn't get up, then there was no chance of a seat at the J* International table. Which was of course completely true. It's just that he forgot to say that the same thing would happen if the EBA did get voted up.

Nuthinondaclock
17th Apr 2008, 13:29
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from memory it actually said something like 'QF would discuss a B737 LCC with us'.

The statement was in the preamble to the S/H EBA and it made no mention of any specific type.

Keg
17th Apr 2008, 13:29
Yes and in the aftermath of the cargo price fixing Geoff also said that he expects all business units to work ethically and morally when it comes to the manner in which Qantas does business.

Nuthinondaclock
18th Apr 2008, 00:12
Yep. I remember it being bought up later at a meeting when it hadn't been complied with and they stated the preamble was basically a bit of a feel good statement and held no legal/contractual weight. Machiavelli would be proud. "The situation has changed,.....blah...blah...blah...blah...blah...."

Jetsbest
18th Apr 2008, 01:49
Did anyone else note in today's "Australian" that AJ is talking up the opporunities in "J* Pacific"? Clearly, the plan is that intended operational similarities will mean junior pilots will be able to promote into J* Pacific LH seats and then, in time, return to Oz. It is "a huge potential retention activity for us long term" says AJ. And, "Joyce also believes the new airline will help Jetstar keep its pilots".

Did J* pilots expect this? DECs right now for Oz basings, and yet any current non-captain's first promo may come via an indefininte Hanoi/Ho Chi Minh basing. Good deal! :yuk:

Of course if any current pilot employee is so ungrateful as to decline such benevolently inspired & considered opportunity then AJ will undoubtedly find alternative sources of suitable pilots. :rolleyes:

CX, QF, EK may not be so bad after all again? Good luck folks. :sad:

permFO
18th Apr 2008, 03:25
"Joyce also believes the new airline will help Jetstar keep its pilots".

Interesting that he is expressing some concern at having to provide opportunities to retain pilots. Its a far cry from the "burn 'em and churn 'em" mentality when J* first started.

Keg- I understand the frustration that mainline pilots have with the lack of opportunity within Jetstar. I experienced something similar when Kendell got the CRJ and unless you had an Airforce background Ansett F/O's didn't get a look in. My pprune user name is not a reflection of my abilities (IMHO) but it was a reflection of where I thought my career was going at the time. I have often said that aviation careers are dictated at board level and the current debate is a perfect illustration of that.

excellr8
18th Apr 2008, 06:05
With all this talk of low-cost carriers it's interesting to note at the other end of the spectrum high value/high yield customers are trying to be attracted by other airlines. Qf seems to be hell bent on increasing profits by reducing costs..................what about new products driving more revenue?

A new idea possibly???

From todays Australian

All-business flight
SINGAPORE Airlines's five Airbus A340-500 ultra-long-range aircraft are going all business class on flights to the US. The current two-class, 181-seat arrangement will be replaced with 100 new business-class seats. SIA will be the first to operate an all-business flight on the trans-Pacific route.
ess flight on the trans-Pacific route. :D

Wingspar
18th Apr 2008, 06:53
Yep, a novel idea?

obie2
18th Apr 2008, 08:50
Well it was a big success for Ozjet wasn't it?

DutchRoll
18th Apr 2008, 11:13
Well it was a big success for Ozjet wasn't it?
Well, to be clear on it, Ozjet flew a miniscule number of totally clapped-out aeroplanes on said "business only" routes. I'm not sure what they were thinking. You can stick a comfy leather seat in it, but a sh*tbox is still a sh*tbox, and a very limited schedule is still a very limited schedule (not to mention the other facilities at each end, etc, that business people like).

aulglarse
18th Apr 2008, 13:26
I thought the demise of OZjet was due to poor/lack of marketing? The public don't know any better than an reliable albeit iconic QF 743 now do they?

Whiskery
19th Apr 2008, 01:53
Spot on Dutch Roll ! :ok:

International Trader
22nd Apr 2008, 01:53
Must be working for SIA because I couldn't book an economy seat when I wanted it and the Biz class bookings are full. On a wait list months ahead!

Boomerang
22nd Apr 2008, 06:16
And this has ?what? to do with Jetstar Commands??

-Edit- to prevent offending the poster above (International Trader), I would like to clarify that this is aimed at the general thread creep which often occurs and tends to make some threads drag on as the current sub-topic changes. As such it is perhaps more accurately addressed to excellr8 but was brought up to head off the change in topic.

frangatang
23rd Apr 2008, 07:43
Regarding those with a chip on both shoulders. There are numerous australian pilots working for BA and other British companies. Should these pilots be rounded up and deported , as . after all , they are depriving poms of legitimate commands, and l know of a few who have no right to work in the UK,period. Funny how none of us mind actually!

ACMS
23rd Apr 2008, 09:19
What? If they don't have a right to be in the UK then THEY SHOULD be shipped home ASAP.

prove it.

I hardly thing old Nigel BA is that dumb.

International Trader
23rd Apr 2008, 10:10
Boomer,
My reply was to the last 4 or 5 comments above mine.

However, it does have as much to do with Jetstar commands as your reply has to do with english expression.Nothing at all.

Jetstar have a screening process that you will have to pass in order to get that command

Pin Head
26th Apr 2008, 08:12
when do you think Jetstar will re-open recruitment again? Is it all B787 related or are there other reasons?

squidward
26th Apr 2008, 09:54
maybe this has something to do with it...... (see post #20) :eek:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=323765