PDA

View Full Version : Korean Air or Asiana

saltyswede
10th Apr 2008, 00:04
Of korean and asian who would you rather work for pay work rules etc as an expat captain.

evyjet
10th Apr 2008, 08:57
Korean Air by far!!! Benefits are better, and the training you get is much more thorough. Asiana ground school consists of a few "self study" days. You go to work, they then tell you to "read the manuals"!! Korean Air seems to be far more professional......and the uniforms at Asiana SUCK!

Asianlonghaul
11th Apr 2008, 08:50
First maybe this should be joined up with the post under "Asiana / Korean Air (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=280961) " on about page 3 or 4.
Secondly go for KAL it has a better commuting deal, plus there is a hiring ban so once you join one you cannot swap companies.
Asiana is a 5 * airline so maybe the cabin service is better when flying as a pax going home. But with Asiana you will only get a few days off every 2 months with KAL it is every month.

long-courrier
11th Apr 2008, 10:09
I had an interview for ground staff at CDG.

Really anti social company..... The OZ guy was very surprised the french law gives so many benefits.... and tried to know if something was possible not to give benefits.

Today they are still looking for a supervisor,
but who wish to work during his holidays?

Capt.Bee
12th Apr 2008, 16:39
evyjet you don't have an idea what you are talking about. Self study days - pure nonsense. Alteon is managing both places, at least the SIMs. In fact the working conditions in Asiana are a lot more relaxed and the locals are friendlier then Korean. Pros and cons go both directions, but generally Korea is not a friendly place towards foreigners. Korean culture is sort of problem and it's difficult to swallow sometimes.Both companies offering commuting and basing outside of the country for the big bird's jockeys.

evyjet
12th Apr 2008, 21:16
Capt Bee

I know exactly what I'm talking about. I did them when I was there!!! One thing I will admit, is that maybe this has changed recently....I don't know, but that's only part of the problem.

Alteon do the Sims as you say, but have absolutely nothing to do with ground school training. The ground school training is by far the worst I have ever seen. Friendly in training.....yes, but certainly not of a high standard! There is one epxat instructor who puts in a lot of effort, and is trying to improve the "Asiana" system. But at the moment it is a sole effort, and the "system" is still very very bad!

Make sure you have the facts before spouting off!

Capt.Bee
13th Apr 2008, 06:21
evyget, no offence buddy. Don't take it so seriously. Been there 5+ loooong years and I'm sooo fed up, that I'd better refrain from coments. Korea is a tough place to survive and it's obvious that you know a thing or two. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has decent job. Best regards!!! :=

Asianlonghaul
13th Apr 2008, 09:03
Capt Bee good to hear from someone who is "There" I understand Asiana have an 8 day commuting block every second month and KAL a 9 day block every month. I too am wondering who to go for. I am current on the 767 so it would be a cheaper deal to go for Asiana. I currently work for Sh--y company and would love a commuting deal. Please confirm that Asiana do honour the days off every second month Please? I know a guy who was with KAL MANY years and didn't mind it - he is now retired. On this basis I understand KAL is not bad, especially with the 9 days off a month. The only down side is as a 767 rated guy I will have to buy a 777 rating to work for KAL

Asianlonghaul
13th Apr 2008, 09:09
One question: Do Asiana take 777 Capts who are only flying the 757/767 like KAL do?

evyjet
13th Apr 2008, 12:36
No prob Capt Bee!

....yes it can be a very frustrating place to work at times!

Cheers
Evy