PDA

View Full Version : How much of an advantage?

Culio
9th Apr 2008, 22:35
Hello all :ok:

OK, so I'm starting to talk a bit TOO much about the RAF and being a pilot, I'm sorry (maybe I'm a bit too keen...but whatever)

I was wondering how much of an advantage being a member of ATC (Air Training Corps NOT Air Traffic Control :\) was in becoming a pilot in the RAF. I joined a few weeks back (it's great fun :P) and I was just wondering how much of a margin it creates between an Air Cadet enrolling and civvy (dare I use that word :ouch:) for being an officer in the RAF, if any.

I should also have my gold Duke of Edinburgh Award by the time I "sign up" and I was an avid Scout! :P

OK, in all seriousness, does it have an advantage? It's not going to stop me going to ATC, I love it too much, I was just wondering ;)

Cya around,

Culio

SkyCamMK
9th Apr 2008, 22:54
Well, just how long is a piece of string? IMHO it could help if you did these well for the right reasons and if you are a solid character so to speak. You may find a service family with offspring that have lived with their operational parents trumps that, or a young keen girl with a PPL and who is a runner or active spiorts person, or another chap who is simply very bright and has just "seen the light". There are no free lunches. See the threads about OASC Officer and Aircrew Selection Centre. RAF is small now compared with when I joined in 1975. Competition is firerce. Skill, experience and knowledge are limited due to age but you can see that if you were the recruiter how impressed would you be with someone who has just discovered there is life outside school etc? It will not do you harm of course. Go for it! You will get to fly with them if you are keen and capable too. It is a good organisation but you will only get out in relation to what you put in. Any help?

matt_hooks
10th Apr 2008, 23:05
Culio. I have to say that your being a member of a cadet organisation will not DIRECTLY affect your chances of success in joining the RAF. However, it does have a few good points to recommend it.

Firstly, the opportunities that it affords you. Not just flying, but all the teamworking/leadership training that is on offer. Also all the other activities. If you are willing to really throw yourself into it, take every opportunity that's on offer and work damn hard, then you will come out the other end not only with an impressive set of experiences to talk about at interview, but hopefully with a more mature and balanced outlook on life. There are 16 year olds, and then there are 16 year olds. I know some 16 year olds with the maturity of others who are much older, and much of that tends to be down to their willingness to commit themselves fully to whatever it is they are doing.

Also the discipline aspect will stand you in good stead, wherever you end up in life.

And there is, of course, the fact that the RAF recruiters are more likely to be available for help and advice for members of the cadets.

So I say go for it, live it, love it (and you will, I still long for the cadet days, many years afterwards) grab every single opportunity with both hands and wring every drop of experience and life out of it you can. Even if you end up not going in to the RAF (and the sad fact is that competition is SO fierce that many very good people never do make it in) you will have equipped yourself with an attitude to life, a lust for living, that will transfer into all areas of your life.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Which squadron have you joined, just out of interest?

Culio
10th Apr 2008, 23:11
Matt, I've joined 2486 (Lytham St. Annes) in Cumbria and North Lancs Wing :)

Thanks for your replies so far guys, some very interesting info

matt_hooks
10th Apr 2008, 23:19
I was in the fortunate position of being a member of both the CFF and the ATC at one point or another, and I would say they both offer great things, but in a very different way.

The CFF RAF sections tend to lean more toward the officer types, though this is probably because they mostly belong to public schools, wherefrom the majority of officers will inevitably be drawn. The ATC tends to be aimed more towards the rank and file. This is of course not a hard and fast rule. I know ATCers who have taken the queens commission, and I know CCFers who have started out as the lowest of the low as junior aircraftmen/women.

Have to admit I got far more flying through the CCF RAF section, but our section always had strong links to 5AEF, then based at Marshalls in Cambridge. I will always remember my first ever flight, in a Chipmunk, now that dates me a bit! It just reinforced my love of anything and everything to do with aeroplanes.

preduk
11th Apr 2008, 01:24
I enjoyed the cadets. Was in it for about 3-4 years, learned a lot about working in a team and was the guard of honor for the Queen which was pretty cool.

Flying is beginning to slow down dramatically, however I got plenty of shooting and went abroad a couple of times which was cool.

You only get out what you put in will be told to you throughout your membership, they will always put your name forward for extra training and camps if you do that.