PDA

View Full Version : Life insurance recuperation..

FJ2ME
9th Apr 2008, 18:42
Hi all,

Sorry to bother you with yet another finance-related triv question, but does anyone know how to go about reclaiming the aircrew life insurance weighting in the new JPA era? I have only recently become a home owner and life insurance contributor and understand that you can claim back from MOD the additional charges you have incurred on your life insurance due to the nature of military flying and the risks involved. Does anyone know if this system is still in place and if so how does it work?

Before any of the usual smart alecs pop their heads up, I am somewhat displaced from my normal unit at this time and have no access to an adminer to ask.

Thanks,

FJ2ME

Yeller_Gait
9th Apr 2008, 21:01
You can still claim back 90% of the excess flying risk premium. Check with an adminer when you get a chance, you cannot claim the money back yourself through JPA.

Y_G

FJ2ME
10th Apr 2008, 11:41
Thanks anyway-

i'll look in to when I'm back at my normal unit. Silly me for thinking I could just self-administer it throught the MOD's shiny new self-administration system. Of course an adminer and forms would be required, how dumb I am...

cazatou
10th Apr 2008, 12:16
Back in the mid 1960's it was pointed out to us trainee Pilots that the RAF would only pay for your funeral if you died on Active Service; therefore it was a good idea to have insurance. I took out a policy for £2000 (which was 231,900% of my daily pay before tax and national insurance). The selling point of the policy was that when the policy matured when (if ?) I reached the age of 60 it might (with accrued bonuses) be worth as much as £5000 "which will be enough to buy a house and a car".