PDA

View Full Version : EASYJET RECRUITMENT

execmanuk
24th Aug 2001, 03:42
Although easyjet claim to be desperately short of experienced crews, and despite their continual advertising and pilot roadshows, it seems they are not replying to significant numbers of online applications from very experienced crews. Anyone care to comment….

Nacaduck
24th Aug 2001, 13:05
I got a reply within eight hours and offered an interview within three days.
4500tt mixed jet and prop.

It's a mystery!!

1/2pv2s
24th Aug 2001, 13:27
noteveryone suits every situation, perhaps you did not fit the company profile. :)

execmanuk
24th Aug 2001, 13:46
Myself, I have not sent an online application form to easyjet recently, the comment has been made to me by a fair number of pilots who have, many of whom are very good operators. I have noticed all the adverts they place, PPrune included, looking for pilots. Due to the high costs of advertising am just curious.

The Bluesmobile
24th Aug 2001, 15:20
3000 hrs, half of it P1 turbine, 3 applications, other than the usual automated e mail not a sausage!

Guess I ain't orange enough :D

[ 24 August 2001: Message edited by: The Bluesmobile ]

Gypsy
25th Aug 2001, 00:58
Hey execmanuk - you're not related to Capt Kirk on the easy v Go thread in Terms and Endearments are you? Like you he is another low time Ppruner that suddenly launched with some posts that were critical of eJ. I wonder where you work at the moment!

All I can say is that recruiting days are usually busy and significant numbers of new guys are turning up for line trg at eJ every month.

wysiwyg
25th Aug 2001, 12:16
Bluesmobile - from what I can gather, at the moment they are almost solely taking people with significant jet time.

Floppy Link
25th Aug 2001, 14:05
5500hrs of which 2000 on Boeings
and nothing heard
maybe I should reapply

Oleo
25th Aug 2001, 15:18
When I went to one of their (barely bareable) road shows and gave them a severe listening-to about how wonderful EJ was (and how crappy every other company was), their personnel person (whatever the EasyJet nomer for that is) said they "had no way of sorting" their much touted internet application process and it was therefore "a lottery" on whom got contacted.

This was a few months ago now, maybe it has changed. :rolleyes:

The Bluesmobile
26th Aug 2001, 00:17
wysiwyg,

Thanks. The selection process does appear to be a bit random. I guess they're just holding out for guys with hours and ratings, although I would have thought the 'floppylink' above with all the hours on boeings would have heard something.

Can't say I'm too worried, I already have a good job I was just wondering if I could improve it!

[ 25 August 2001: Message edited by: The Bluesmobile ]

Katy
26th Aug 2001, 14:55
I know thats been said many times before, but pilots who are serious about flying with eJ must appreciate that to stand a chance of being selected you must be professional in your approach to the airline.

An 'I'll try it and see how I go on' approach will not get you very far! Previous experience is only one aspect of the selection process and I know of many pilots with far more experience than myself who have been turned down in the past.

I set my stall out, was extremely keen to join, and in the end was offered employment.

eJ is not a half-hearted employer and it does not, therefore, expect half-hearted applications.

If you like the idea of eJ then do your best and I wish you well. If not, then you are wasting your time and that of the airline.

Low cost does not equal low quality!

Dudley
26th Aug 2001, 16:28
Katy

sorry nobody here is at your level. That is why they got no response when they spent hours filling up their application forms... Of course you did it a lot better, and if you got the job, it is only because you are so good and so commited... Sorry Katy but in front of you... I am impressed... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

[ 26 August 2001: Message edited by: Dudley ]

Gypsy
26th Aug 2001, 20:51
Dudley - Katy never said any of those things.

I checked the database of applicants a few months ago and at the time, about 3000 applications had been received. It takes time and the Company wants to get the right people, not just those with the most hours in their logbooks! If you are seriously interested then keep trying.

Secret Squirrel
26th Aug 2001, 22:25
Sorry, Katy but it is a lottery.

I can appreciate that you are trying to laud the many virtues I'm sure EJ has but make no mistake, they don't know their @rse from their elbow as far as recruitment goes.

Just before I went on holiday I got a call from a lady, who's name escapes me now, saying that they were interested in interviewing me. Now, I work for the recently defunct CityFlyer and have just got my command a few months ago so I politely declined her gracious offer as EJ really don't have an awful lot to offer me compared to Nigel.

However, my point is that I applied ONCE in two and a half years (or so) by internet and have NEVER ONCE bothered to either update my application, or badger them in any way and yet I get a call. Also, when I applied I think I had about 1000hrs, if that!

I am very good friends with one or two who left CFE for EJ and I can tell you they are kicking themselves now! They may have been getting more money than me for the past year or two and have a 737 on their licence but they work twice as hard and they have to jump through all the hoops if they want to get into BA - and at least one of those I know desperately wanted to.

My advice, just wait for the phone to ring: and if it doesn't, thank your lucky stars!

The Bluesmobile
27th Aug 2001, 00:31
Katy,

Well, I consider that I was keen to Join EJ each time applied!

I mean what is the point of sending a an application if you've got to 'keep at em', by updating it every other week. I figured once every 6 months was enough, that equating to about 300-350hrs and perhaps worth updating a CV for. The only other thing that could change during that time is the creative stuff you have to put in the boxes about 'why do you want to work for easyJ?', and 'what makes a good 'EJ pilot?'etc etc.

Having thought about those questions long and hard the first, second and third time I began to run out of ideas without sounding cheesy and that I was grovelling for a job.
I thought they wanted team players that fit in and don't mind working hard for a living, as opposed to grovellers?

I dunno, It beats me (and few of my mates that work there). Recruitment is a strange one, I really think its the luck of the draw on the day! If you fit the bill on the day someone spots your application, you're sorted!

cheers

[ 26 August 2001: Message edited by: The Bluesmobile ]

rhythm method
27th Aug 2001, 02:44
Katy, actually you don't have to be too over-keen to get into eJ to be offered an interview.

I filled in the online application months ago during a period when I was p*ssed off with my current company, but I put in no real effort; e.g. why do you want to work for easyJet? my answer... 'want a change'. My whole application was like that. Within 2 weeks they were offering me an interview. I haven't a clue what possessed them to contact me! Maybe it was the old 'treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen'!!!

But sorry Katy, having seen some of your previous postings on different easyJet threads, I think you're quickly developing the over-swollen cranium "Hi, I'm a jet pilot" attitude. Ease off and realise that some excellent pilots don't get in there, when plonkers like me not really interested get offered interviews.(I hope for your sake you fit in to the correct group!) IT'S A LOTTERY!!!! :p

(edited twice cos of my cr*ppy spelling)

[ 26 August 2001: Message edited by: rhythm method ]

[ 27 August 2001: Message edited by: rhythm method ]

Pointer
27th Aug 2001, 22:19
I don't know about no reply and so on because i've tried several times to submit an application on the net and every time i was unsuccesfull in submitting it only to be returned to the page with blancks on the entry's. Does anyone know why this happens? I am very keen to apply( i would like to fly 'ducted turbo prop').

Airbrake
28th Aug 2001, 01:50
Pointer.
Have you tried cutting and pasting your text from word into the relevant boxes whilst 'on line'?

eagerbeaver
28th Aug 2001, 15:21
I filled the online application out about 10 days ago and so far not a sausage, i am unsure whether to apply again because i dont know whether they actually recieved anything from me because there is no acknowledgement.
I thought i wrote quite a nice little piece on why i want to work for eJ too!
Anyone else unsure what to do next with them?

cruella
28th Aug 2001, 20:02
How about some facts from the 'horses mouth' for those of you who are interested.....
Firstly, to confirm your application has been successfully received you should receive both an e-mail and, at a later stage, a copy of the application form you submitted.
Secondly, we screen the database daily and all those who meet our requirements are invited to a workshop. We see up to 9 pilots at the workshop every Friday and successful candidates at that stage are then sent for a SIM check the following day. This allows us to offer contracts to the successful candidates within one week of their assessment.
Thirdly, our basic requirements are the right of abode in the UK, and a UK or JAA licence. In addition to this we look at hours, aricraft type/s, current/previous employer/s, reasons for leaving previous employment and reasons for wanting to join easyJet (basically everything you would expect a reputable airline to consider when screening an application).
Finally, whilst we are currently focusing on Direct Entry Captains our planned axpension means we will continue to look for pilots with a variety of experience. The on-line application form allows us to communicate with a large number of pilots (6000 currently) effectively and quickly.
So, whilst the current recruitment process may not be considered perfect,it is certainly not a 'lottery'!!

lets go nads
29th Aug 2001, 17:57
And there you have it LADIES and GENTLEMEN!!
SO TAKE THAT!!

Now when do the supplemantary numbers get drawn?? :D :D ;) :D :D

PS CRUELLA When are you going to ditch those two EX BA HAZBEEN "ROD WOLLOPERS" and do the sim checks yourselves?
:rolleyes:

[ 29 August 2001: Message edited by: lets go nads ]

1/2pv2s
30th Aug 2001, 14:09
take it you failed then. :cool:

Van Goff
30th Aug 2001, 15:57
From my experience, Cruella is correct.

I applied online (yes, I also lost my first application and had to do the whole thing again!). Anyway, I applied online approx 6 days ago and received a very pleasant reply this morning inviting me to one of their Recruitment Workshops. I am not 737 rated.

fireflybob
30th Aug 2001, 16:10
You guys with interviews should consider yourselves lucky!

I have 14,000 hr total time, 9,000 on jets with circa 4,000 on B737 variants but have been away from airline type flying for 6 years for personal reasons. I am 50 but am in good health etc.

I have applied through the website and received the usual acknowledgement but after that there has been a deadly hush.

I am thinking of applying as a black lesbian with 1,000 hours - perhaps this would increase my chances??

Oleo
30th Aug 2001, 17:03
Email acknowledgement?! Loooooooooxury!!

I have 43,000 hours in 737s, am a TRE and Boeing test pilot. Stelios is my brother-in-law and I have orange hair.

I attended 23 road shows (accomplishing some serious schmoozing) and applied 36 times on line (on the 1st of each month for the last three years) without so much as an acknowledgement. (In fact the website gave me a virus and I had to buy a new 'puter.)

I shall try harder Katy and Cruella, the prize is in sight ;)

FlapsOne
30th Aug 2001, 17:54
Oleo,

I thought you would know that Stelios hates his family members trying to muscle in on his business interests!

Try changing from vodafone to orange and divorce his sister.............

Katy
30th Aug 2001, 20:25
Hi Rhythm Method

Thanks for your kind words.

I am pleased that you have taken the trouble to follow my previous posts so closely!

Sometimes there is no better way to prompt a response than to be slightly controversial. Devils and advocates I think.

Do not worry my brain is still contained in my cranium.

After all the studying and all the expense and all the frustration, yes, it is nice to fly jets. But when it comes to 'aye, Lads, aye' I think I have a balanced view - really.

Talking of spelling, if you arrange the following letters I hope it does not reflect your own personality - KWARNE!!!

Seriously, all the best, no harm intended.

rhythm method
31st Aug 2001, 03:11
But Katy, surely easyJet don't fly to NEWARK!!!

No harm taken!

:D :D