9th Apr 2008, 07:23
Its April and……..Nothing :{

Homo Ludens
9th Apr 2008, 08:08
Was anything REALLY expected?

loc22550
9th Apr 2008, 08:58
Only for the cc this year...
Indeed no increase,No bonus...NOTHING...For cockpit crew ...what for.., Qatar has just the highest inflation in the gulf, Dramatic devaluation of the currency last year...,and i dont think thinks will change in the near future ,so everything is perfect here...:\.
Why Spirit 1 do you want an increase....??:ouch:

Spirit1
9th Apr 2008, 09:38
O yes. ;)

Time is running out.
The last year I lost 30% of my salary.:sad:
AAB do not care.
He is lucky.
We are still doing a damn good job, course we have our pride, dignity and care about other people.
Shame on you AAB. Shame on you:oh:

loc22550
9th Apr 2008, 09:54
Spirit ..i think you are ..too negative...;)
You lost 30% of your salary....so what..leave it..:ouch:, there are plenty of desperated pilots to come here after having failled EK or EY assessment...
So really MR AAB has no reason to be worried...:ouch: (well that's what he think..)

Spirit1
9th Apr 2008, 10:07
;) I can see it:ouch:

bufe01
9th Apr 2008, 13:23
Hello,
I will join QR in july.
Is there any Brit or pilot with a Uk license that could clarify me on a couple of issues?
Please send me a PM.
Thank you very much!

.......and guess what, I haven't failed EK or EY! Now go ahead and hit me with proper humour!

See you soon

Bufe

loc22550
9th Apr 2008, 14:11
Bufeo1:
Me too....i'm in Q.A. and guess what..: i haven't failed EK or EY...because i didn't try it before join Q.A.!!Is it what you mean..must be typical british humour...?1:O

Smirnoff N21
9th Apr 2008, 15:42
b.01 welcome man. guess u'll help to achieve the unenviable safety record of ours.
Don't take it personally take it on the rocks!!!:ok:

bufe01
9th Apr 2008, 17:59
I will sure try Smirnoff!
No offence meant to anybody, just trying to lighten up things with some good old pilot banter!
Thanks for the British humour, I have worked so hard at it......but that's where I live not where I'm from.......
To be completely honest, Loc you are actually partly right, I applied and they won't call me without commercial experience....so technically I haven't failed!
Still looking for some info on UK licenses!
Cheers
Bufe

CEO PITA
10th Apr 2008, 07:15
Why would anyone jojn Qr this days ?
Airline which underpay there pilots ,airline where cabin crew has more authority then capt,ailrine which has termination department becouse there is 2-4 person every day beeing terminated,ailrine which is run by person who is hated from north to south of globe ,airline which have more things resticted then allowed , ailrine where you cant eat on ground ,airline where crew can not have orange juce and dates,airline where acapt is more stressed over gruming then over flying .
QR is known that on intervew promiss many good things like fast upgrade ,house ,good roster and slots of 5-8 days off in roster but ones you jojn and resigen from youre previous airline you just get to know that upgrade is 5-8 y, you get apartment ,no 5-8 off in slot,salary dont follow euro rate or $ fall and you can be terminated becouse cabin crew in her VR stated that you asked for orange juce or you bring youre small kid into cockpit and so on . . . . .

bufe01
10th Apr 2008, 08:01
I guess probably for the same reasons you and many joined and/or are not or yet leaving!
I'd like to see for myself only then eventually join the club, then you can tell me " I told you" and I'll buy you a drink!
Trying to stay positive here!
Cheers
Bufe

CEO PITA
10th Apr 2008, 10:11
Dont jojn !
Many stay only becouse kids going to school and some of pilots took a big personal loans to invest back home or so and one more trick if you take loan in Qatar you cant leave without paying full amount off and cancel youre account so you get stuck .
You read at least 150 negative post about QR dont tell me that all of us lie or just hate Qatar or so . We tell you true man !
Try Etihad or Emirates its 100 % better then QR .
If you are desperet and can get only into QR then jojn take type rating and leave man !
When you jojn QR first 60 days the world look pink and you are so happy but after you step deeper into shi....! You will come back on this forum and start telling true to others .
DONT JOJN QR if you love youre self and youre familly !
QR could be a nice airline if a CEO would be A. Johar or a reall Qatari .

salamalikum2
10th Apr 2008, 10:52
Stay positive..i wish Bufe 01, but when you see your salary everyday melting like snown in the sun..+..inflation.., believe me everyday you keep asking yourself.."is it really worth to stay here....?" (and im just talking about money..)
Anyway..welcome to Q.A. Bufe01.
By the way ,Don't worry you will realise what i'm talking about as soon as you land in Doha..its almost everyday in the newspapers here...!:\

OOuuups:ouch: ..in the mean time today the U$ (and his fellow friend;the qatari riyal:ugh:) has reached a new low level record...1 euro=1,59U$
Stay away!

PIPE RIDER
10th Apr 2008, 12:39
Bufe 01: do the selection process for any other gulf carrier, spend a couple of pounds and see Doha (schools, hospitals, facilities) and see the others across the gulf and make your mind, I assure you it will clear your view and don't say you were not warned....

On a separate line any news about fleet transfers or news from april the 7th meeting???? (320 to 330 maybe???)

Smirnoff N21
10th Apr 2008, 17:20
You asked for it you shall get it:
Hope the guys didn't make you come:}.
Don't take it personally take it on the rocks!!!:ok:

Black Stain
11th Apr 2008, 00:13
there are plenty of desperated pilots to come here after having failled EK or EY assessment...

To be completely honest, Loc you are actually partly right, I applied and they won't call me without commercial experience....

What an interesting passage of play....

How funny the realization that an opponents pawn does not even see the game, or realize that he has just joined the losing team. A fish that John West rejected. That is the Goat recruitment pool; and this not by chance.

When the game is over and the Goat finally goes down, all airline CEO will witness moral to this dark story: Don't neglect safety personnel, take good care of your pilots.

bufe01
11th Apr 2008, 08:18
Like I said......"partly right".......and I'll leave it at that, no need to know the story of my life!
On the other hand i sort of asked for it......and as they say this part of the world "if you can't take it shouldn't have joined"! So no hard feelings.
Cheers

salamalikum2
11th Apr 2008, 14:26
....Today i would rather say...:"if you can't afford it..don't join it...!":hmm:

salamalikum2
18th Apr 2008, 03:09
Anyway Bufe01:i think it's our duty to give you some(true) Advice before you come here:

-Be very carefull on the road, a four wheel drive investment is probably worth to save your live and your family in case you are smashed by an idiot driver with his powerfull heavy car.!
- you better choice the right slot to drive on the road (3...4pm is probably the "best" or friday morning).Just keep a eye friday approaching any major mosque,as people use to park their car on the right hand lane of the main road (police doesn't care).
-I recommend you the same slot for shopping,otherwise you may end up in a total mess,parking.....(the city is becoming oversaturated)
- Avoid any public toilet anywhere (shopping center,airport..), just disgusting!
-Hope you are not an F/O with kids,because Q.A. will only give you an appartment, you can look by yourself to rent villa, but when you will see the price, you will propably be chocked and will change your mind immediatly!
-School..well i hope you will not have to put your kids on a waiting list (i guess this is the last think you want).
-All public area(shopping center..) have been declared "non smoking area"...that's a very bad news..for ..non smokers.. as noboby respect the rule!Who cares!( but.. by the way don't try to have a cigaret during the Holy month Ramadan in the street or even inside your car..you will be in trouble!!)
-If you have some free time, you can go to the cinema and enjoy numerous violent, and blood bath movies(no censure for that,censure only applied on"litigious love"scene...),or a walk on the corniche: just make sure any accidental(indian,chinese..) spit ends up on your shoes or trouser.
-To be free and able to leave the country whenever you want you have to pay for it and need a multi-exit permit (..120U$/year).
-Hope your are not resident in Europe,as mentioned before,you will see your salary melting like snown in the sun(not betterV/S other currenecy actually) except U$.(personnaly i'm planning to leave next year.. hopefully; this devaluation of the Riyal doesn't make me laugh anymore!)
-probably i forgot a lot of think,.but don't forget..what i mentioned is 100% true...
For the rest just enjoy it..!
Cheers.

otbd34
18th Apr 2008, 06:03
All true. Sallam.

_FL600_
18th Apr 2008, 08:34
whatever people,, get a life!

sacul12
18th Apr 2008, 10:01
Choosing a slot to drive??? What about if you have to drive your kids to school? I heard it's at least a 4 hour drive a day just to get them in time for classes...

getreal
18th Apr 2008, 17:48
Bufe01 if you have a family, or you want to have a life...have a look at the "wet t-shirt contest in company housing" that should give you a good insight to "life" as we know it in qatar. The airline itself is like any other, but with tons of money to spend......life however is a whole different ballgame. depends on what your expectations are and how tolerant you are. :confused:

let me just sum it up with this......get used to the color black. and leave all your normal shorts, t-shirts, dresses, bathing suites at home. they won't be needed or welcome here:=

Maverick
19th Apr 2008, 08:33
Qatar is definitely more liberal than 'getreal' puts it.

bufe01
19th Apr 2008, 08:52
Hello gents,
actually getreal I found that thread refreshening! Someone actually managed to keep a sense of humour! Thanks for the tips everybody!
How about company housing? Any good tip, description, types, where?
I'm married no kids.
Thanks
Bufe

salamalikum2
19th Apr 2008, 14:08
..Tons of money to spend..Sure,..But just a few grammes for the crew...!.NO bonus!,NO profit share!No increase!No pension! just a Skinny end of service benefit!:yuk:
Qatar .."liberal" country..?...well..compared to Saudi:yes..compared to any other place in the gulf :No .

Low IN Fuel
20th Apr 2008, 07:54
With all do respect,plz don't get me wrong tom..,if you aint happy don't you think it's the the right time to make move like i did..!

CEO PITA
20th Apr 2008, 09:29
QR is the best airline .

You spend 6 y as F/O and when you reach a point to go for command OOOPS ther eis an intervew where any question can be trown .
You been waiting for 6 y and then what happen ? FAIL on intervew !
You think we joke ? Aske others : there is 32 % chance for you to pass.

getreal
20th Apr 2008, 15:32
bufe01 dude...glad you liked the thread and that it made you laugh. but keep in mind, i was talking about a company housing. the situation with the swim rules appear to be under control. the compound is really nice,,,,so less complaints:D in my opinion all depends on if you come as a capt or f/o. f/o...dont bother:ugh: capt....different story. also depends on the flexibility of your wife. this place is not for everyone and the women tend to get board and shop:eek:.

all in all....there are better places that are hiring at the moment:cool:

bufe01
20th Apr 2008, 16:10
Hello.
Do any of the wives work at all and/or is it difficult to find a job for the ladies?
Cheers

loc22550
22nd Apr 2008, 16:47
Indeed Tomuchwork...People from the "euro" zone should stay away from here unless they like to loose money everyday...While some people don't even feel the pain of the devaluation of the U$...(and the Qatari riyal), others have seen their salaries devaluated by more than 40%!!!

salamalikum2
23rd Apr 2008, 09:04
For all of us who love(and im sure they are numerous) mosquito's,..a new layover to...India(YES!).. is coming soon .. :Calicut(Kozhikode) from the 15 of june, daily flight....!

handsome one
24th Apr 2008, 12:26
if every Fo keep failing thier command interview who the hell is getting thier command there?

buboso
24th Apr 2008, 12:33
if every Fo keep failing thier command interview who the hell is getting thier command there?

mmm... DEC could be a nice answer!

take care.

buboso

salamalikum2
28th Apr 2008, 04:53
DEC...from where...?
No increase,no Bonus...and no roster yet for next month for some people.., thinks are not improving!
Great job again from the roster team....!:\

Dune Surfer
28th Apr 2008, 12:12
I have been in Qatar now for a few years, now these are a few true facts about the country and about Qatar Airways. I am employed on the Technical (sorry, Engineering) side of the company.

Housing allowance at the moment includes a temporary allowance, including this temp allow it is still impossible to find accomodation (without sharing with other familes as our Indian colleagues do) due to the expense.
It is now rumoured that any wage increase (not before, quote 1st July as company is re-evaluating the complete package/structure unquote) will also result in the removal of this temp allow so therefore there will in effect be no wage increase as we will have to subsidise our rent out of our own pockets.
The company has an unwritten rule, you work late, usually 7pm every day and Saturdays also even though your contract states 3.30pm finish and Friday and Saturday off, the company does not pay overtime pay. If this is not acceptable to you, leave or be fired! The Indians will do this so it makes you look bad!
There has been no pay increase for the last two years even though inflation is running at 14% per year.
The only cheap commodity is fuel.

European swimwear is quite acceptable on private (hotel) beaches or public beaches, the only problem with women wearing bikinis on public beaches is invariably a Qatari will park at the edge of the water in his Land Cruiser watching and waiting for the woman to come out of the water so that he can ogle.
Litter on the public beaches is a very big problem, biggest culprits being the Qatari's and Indians.

Driving, is quite safe as long as you have your wits about you, you not only have to think about what your going to do next but try to predict what the two or three cars around you are going to do next and as they don't know how the hell do you?
The Qatari's drive fast and have to be first, this you get used to, they come behind you and flash their lights, just ignore them, stay in the lane your in if your driving at the maximum speed limit (if that's possible due to the queue's), they will just drive around you, the most dangerous drivers are the Indians, they truly do not know what they will do next, they approach roundabouts in the right hand lane and exit at the left hand exits cutting in front of anyone going straight ahead without warning.
They also sit in the centre lanes when both lanes either side are free because they are told at the time of their tests that this is safest, for them maybe, but they only prove to frustrate everyone else who then proceed to overtake on both sides of them.
Nobody uses indicators, nobody! except when there's fog and then the hazard warning lights come on, without putting headlights on, even when turning, so basically know one knows that they are going to turn.
Parking is impossible except at Villagio Mall which has a large car park.

Simple tip when driving is be aggressive, especially at roundabouts, get your nose in front and then you won't be chopped in.

To live here, basically, you get used to it, smile at the Qatari's and they smile back, sure they are arrogant but you get used to it.

The country in itself is ok, it's the Qatar Airways pay and in particular the housing that makes it difficult and makes everyone unhappy, if the company looked after you, treated you fair then life out here would be good but they don't, they just don't care which is very sad, so many people from all sectors are leaving every month thus costing the company money, if they looked after their employees (quote 'our employess are our No1 priority' unquote...that is one absolute bullsh*t statement) the company would benefit.

Finally, beware, anyone planning to come to Qatar Airways, the Indians will stab you in the back, they believe that it is the only way for them to progress in the company and they are encouraged to do so.

Other than that, it's great here :))

As a footnote, I have no immediate plans to leave, I live in hope that the company will recognise us all financially...we can all dream can't we?

loc22550
29th Apr 2008, 02:17
Dune surfer..:ok::D
Just be careful ..you dare to criticize Qatari,indian way of driving.....:cool:How comes...?!
Sure some people will come here and say that you have to accept like it is...and that YOU are wrong....not them....Of course!!:ugh:
Have to admit that after so many years here,i'm still amazed(daily) by the stupidity, selfishness and caotic way of driving here...
Still i can't understand what's happening in the brain of those drivers...

Maverick
29th Apr 2008, 05:31
Here comes another first world citizen bragging about how great and perfect he is and how imperfect the others are - Mr. Righteous Dune Surfer..

Watch out poor third world citizens as working long hours is a bad thing to do..and dont you know how to drive?

Lets ask Dune surfer to stop working and teach the world how to be perfect and make it a better place to live in.

Dune Surfer, if you were a wee bit educated the first thing they would have taught you is ' DONT GENERALIZE'.

Cheers and Out.

Mav.

PIPE RIDER
29th Apr 2008, 08:39
The dune surfer post is delicate and stereotypes are bad, but accurate mostly, believe it or not , some people live in other 3rd world countries with less than 9 people in the same room, and you dont have to have an economic degree to know that if the average salary income in a country is 30us they come to doha and earn 200us a month is still a good deal!! so have respect to one persons opinion based on his background

Sadly just go around the offices and ask for any service from the secretaries or staff, first answer is NO but if you rise your voice and act like locals do they run and go crazy, and after talking to 5 to 10 subcontinent individuals you get what you need..... These staff are not qualified, they are in their positions because they have lived long enough to climb in the posts, why because their background allows them to survive the abuse and shortcomings of their salary.

Dune Surfer
30th Apr 2008, 09:36
I seem to have upset some (Maverick) but tell me that what I have said is untrue?

I personally have nothing against the Indians or anyone else for that matter, I was simply pointing out the way it is here for anyone thinking about coming.

Maverick, I was not saying that I am better than anyone else but if you live in Doha you must surely agree that the problems on the roads are caused by the locals and moreso the Indians, their driving education is quite clearly sub standard to Europeans and Americans (to name but two), so based on this then yes my driving standards are better.

As for working extra unpaid hours, this also is true, it is the fear factor that creates this, whereas the "European and American" sectors do not crumble to this as there are more jobs out there that they can walk into as opposed to the Indians who have struck their pot of glod out here and know that if they lose their jobs then consequently their 'high income' also goes.
Pole Rider is correct in his comment of unhelpfulness from the Indians, you have to talk with authority to get any kind of response.

This is my opinion and I know that opinions are like a**holes, we've all got one.

Maverick
1st May 2008, 07:30
I see you giving driving tips to your so called brits and americans (just to name two)...Maybe, just maybe the Indians are one step ahead of your advice...Maybe you are taking it from them.

I have many and I say Many Indian, Qatari, American and other nationality friends and I have been in Doha for more than 23 years...I think the Indians are the ones ( especially the women drivers ) who are ultra careful, specially when it comes to drinking and driving, let alone rash driving...

The last time some one was booked for drunken driving it was a first world national!!! Please check your stats before you print....

And about long hours....Maybe they have no other option... Maybe they like their job...Maybe its some reason you and me dont know about...And maybe its the little extra they want to earn for which they have left their homes and come over....So please once again dont generalize...

You aint upsetting me Dune surfer....its just that you are not giving out facts....

Have you written about what the Brits and Americans do at their workplace to get ahead of the others and go home early....If not find out and then print......

Spirit1
1st May 2008, 09:19
Yeah yeah yeah
If you have been here fore more than 23 years, you no longer have a clear vision of the real world.:oh:
Sorry.

By the way, April has finished.
It is the 1st of May. International workers unions’ day…
In QA, we have no union and therefore no chance to speak with one voice.
The only thing we have is a very bad management.:ok:

AERO DYNAMIK
1st May 2008, 11:00
I was driven round Doha in taxi's for 6 years by Indians, Pakistani's and Sri Lankan's. Never once did I have a safety issue or problem with their driving.

Right shower of whinging cu*ts on here most of the time.

otbd34
1st May 2008, 12:11
He was saying about the Indian's. Not the others or even the red once.
;)

Maverick
2nd May 2008, 12:07
Hello dear Spirit1

being based in doha doesnt mean that one hasnt seen the world! And that they dont read or see the news or stop learning for what matters...
Dont have to know how to milk a cow to be able to drink milk....and know its quality....

hmmmph.....

Again single track minded people.....

sad...

and april is generally the beginning of the fiscal year and things MIGHT happen....never said that it WOULD....

Read and write well dear

Cheers!
Mav.

notrocketscience
7th May 2008, 06:21
Hey, guys, don't get all hot under your collars: Dune Surfer was in fact sticking to the original thread, which was . . . bufe01, based in Europe, wanted to know what life was like in Goatland. Dune Surfer, to judge from his standard of written English, is also from somewhere west of Calais, gave bufe01 a pretty accurate picture of life in the Middle East, Qatar in particular. Either it will make bufe01 hunger for life in Doha, or it may just put him off: either way, it was a sufficiently accurate picture for him to make an informed decision.

However, from the perspective of Mumbai, Kuala Lumpur or Jakarta, what Dune Surfer said could appear racist, but hey, that's life. Happy flying to all of you in QR.

Maverick
7th May 2008, 13:18
Howdy gentlemen,

what we said could Appear like we are hot under our collars, but its not.
Hey, Its just life!
We are just voicing facts and true opinions.. No Offence. No pun.
It is allowed isnt it?

Life is what You make of it.

Live life Kingsize!!!

Cheers.

Mav.

A300Man
7th May 2008, 16:51
Qatar Airways will order more A380's, in addition to the five that they currently have on order. Source: Reuters.

A320 memo man
7th May 2008, 19:27
Cool more A380 ! Naw they just have to find pilots ! lol lol

Heavy-Jet
12th May 2008, 10:05
Hi guys,

I have been invited to attend the Non-Type-Rated F/O selection early June. Does anyone have any good info regarding the selection PLEASE!

I have searched PPRUNE but could find very little of value.

It would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

A300Man
19th May 2008, 15:05
What causes smokey tyres, such as this? (Genuine question.) I have never seen it quite as heavy as this before.

Thanks,
A300Man

http://www.myaviation.net/search/photo_search.php?id=01358787

RnR
19th May 2008, 18:04
That's brake dust methinks,

automatic brakes on the gears on retraction!!!!!!!!

open to correction,

Cheers,

Off to,

RnR.

Tintin
20th May 2008, 04:49
I think he took off with the brake fan on....Because it's on both...It's carbon dust....

knotaloud
23rd May 2008, 05:25
If he took off with the fans on, he'd have been operating against procedures. And in any case if he did, the dust would have been blown away well before this or there'd be nothing left of the brakes.
GB

Black Stain
24th May 2008, 00:32
Left field bet.....

It is a Delhi departure and what you are looking at is a swarm of flies desperately trying to flee the stench of India.

A300Man
27th May 2008, 14:44
Looks like A7-AAH (the dreaded A343) hasn't disappeared after all, but is rather in Texas undergoing some work.

One assumes it is coming back to Amiri?

http://www.myaviation.net/search/photo_search.php?id=01366653

BUSTRASH
27th May 2008, 14:52
Just did the interview in Doha.
Why Qatar Airways,any accident incidents,how did you get into aviation a few technical questions on your airplane or general stuff, approach ban , cat 1 cat 2 emergenct scenarios. Easy and quick.
Good luck

bufe01
2nd Jun 2008, 19:54
Sorry lads but I turned down QR for a major!
I am almost disappointed not to have the chance to have a look myself and verify what is really like down there.
Don't brag about it, it's not because of your warnings, it's just one of the best airlines offering me exactly the job I was looking for.
See you all down route somewhere, I will still buy you a drink even if you will not be able to say "I told you"!

All the best

bufe01