PDA

View Full Version : Emirates Where Are You?

ETOPSTRACKX
28th Dec 2000, 01:39
Ok so I've finally found the online application for pilots last month..but I was wondering...are they hiring F/Os??..in my 30's with 600hrs on 310s..do I stand a chance?

411A
28th Dec 2000, 05:02
Still trying to process the applications from direct entry Captains, I believe. From all accounts they certainly NEED them.

ETOPSTRACKX
28th Dec 2000, 05:46
Cheers!! I would appreciate any further info. you might come across.

Seeyouentee
29th Dec 2000, 08:14
No direct entry Captains ( at least for the time being) but company does reserve the right should the need arise. A310 driver in mid thirties has every chance of gaining an interview assuming he/she meets min requirements of 1000jet/2500 total. Emirates need lots more pilots so keep application updated.

ETOPSTRACKX
30th Dec 2000, 05:52
Many thank youz!!... I meet the min. req's and will take any flight deck position to get a start with them.
Regards !!

Bob the Builder
30th Dec 2000, 19:32
Lots of people applying but lots of jobs too so keep trying! A great company and a great place to live. My standard of living has improved greatly and my peers are all top drawer. I would definately recommend it but it may take some time. Well worth the effort!
Good Luck
Bob

Mach None
30th Dec 2000, 19:45
Good luck everyone.

ETOPSTRACKX
31st Dec 2000, 02:25
Thanks to all for your input...now Im even MORE anxious for the call. Best for the New Year & Happy Crossings !!

loadsheet
31st Dec 2000, 14:38
411A I still see you like too stir SHI* about dircet entry captains. Give it a rest.

411A
1st Jan 2001, 04:50
LOADSHEET
I call 'em as I see 'em. Sorry if this disagrees with your point of view.

batu
6th Jan 2001, 04:02
Hi everyone,

...a question...pilots at emirates who have passed Nikas, Vesar, Mut, Antalya (AYT) or tombi, you could have spoken to me.....just a reminder...the callsings where like Emirates 003,001,013...etc....Bye

Dropp the Pilot
7th Jan 2001, 18:36
For 411A, in whatever dole line he may happen to be:

Only problem in "calling 'em" is your head is so far up your ass you will need surgery to "see 'em".

I hope you enjoy your hobby, it's a source of continual amusement (tinged with contempt) for all of us who have jobs.

[This message has been edited by Dropp the Pilot (edited 07 January 2001).]

411A
8th Jan 2001, 06:04
DroppThePilot-
From your attitude, I would presume that you were dropped on your head (repeatedly) as a small child.

Whoaaa
10th Jan 2001, 23:07
411A - Your initial doesn't happen to be "RB" is it? Perhaps you are the "Butts" of everyone elses jokes.

411A
11th Jan 2001, 10:56
Whoaaa,
No sorry, not RB. Who would he/her be?

Speedbrake Lever
12th Jan 2001, 04:58
Emirates ??

You people ought to check things out first

I think you're taken in by the Advertising

In Fact I know you are !!!

Just Wait ! I'll be Happy to explain
in due course

Tintin
14th Jan 2001, 09:18
I'm working on the airbus for another airline in the golf, I came here to get closer to EK, but recently somebody told me about an anti poaching agreement between GF,QR, and EK is it true???

Thanks

nelly1066
18th Jan 2001, 02:21
OK Speedbrake spill the beans
I applied for EK just before Xmas and in between sectors await the infamous phone call from them.
Explain how a tax free salary and free accomodation, sunshine, beaches and sorts would not be the best,
By the way any EK recruiters reading this Im actually current on 4 jet transport aircraft and bloody good at flying all of them
keep well all and it comes to all who wait

YPJT_Noodle1Departure
19th Jan 2001, 08:42
OK, so you seem really interested in the TAX FREE salary....with FO starting on 16040 DHS/month which is around 3200 quid/month amounting to some 32000quid a year...which really aint that much more than say flying with BA or QF on a 757/767/777 320/330 after tax.

OK benefits being accomodation paid for along with utilities and education allowance for dependant kiddies!

Draw backs.....stay with BA or QF for most of your career and you'll retire on a pension equivilent to your Capt salary on the 747..(or possibly the A380).
With EK you'll get given an emirates watch, a gift voucher and a hand shake saying cheers for 15-20 yrs service!! You way it up! Although they do have some scheme in place.

On the whole EK is a great carrier DXB is a great place to live, the beaches are fine and the place is very liberal....the wx well if you like hot+humid 8 months/year you've got it made.

All the best.
JTN1Dep

Bob the Builder
24th Jan 2001, 02:25
YPJT...ummmh! How many FOs make £3200 hard cash, no bills, and have sun day in day out in the UK? I wouldn't make that as a Captain in the UK.
EK is in expansive mode. I have absolutely no complaints with the company. No arse licking involved here but I have to admit to be having the best time of my life. The management is probably the best I've ever seen. The training department likewise.
It's hot here for about 3 months when you choose your time to go out ( but it was the same in the UK...but about 6 months of the year when you stayed inside or froze!).
This is the first time in my career that I have money left over at the end of each month and have a great time during it!
I would recommend it to anyone. Good Luck to all those trying to get in. It's worth it!

nelly1066
25th Jan 2001, 01:56
Bob
Gis a job

3500hrs 4 jet types good looking and want EK
maybe when i get the job ???? we can have a few beers to celebrate
hope to see you soon ?
nelly

Fogrunner
26th Jan 2001, 05:16
I would like some useful information.

I applied to EK on-line. Received the standard, "On Hold" letter with a reference number. Asked to update in six months. 4 months later (mid-Dec) I get an Email from Emirates asking to update on their on-line application with a different ref #.

What gives?? Why 2 different ref numbers?

I have looked at the info on EK contained on PPRUNE. I currently live in the USA. The interview process appears to be diametrically
opposed to what goes on here. Can anyone advise on some study material. Is the written the same type of questions as Cathay??
I here there is one American at EK. It would be great to be able to correspond with this individual.
Thanks in advance!

FOG

[This message has been edited by Fogrunner (edited 26 January 2001).]

Bob the Builder
26th Jan 2001, 11:42
nelly1066...HI! Just keep updating your resume/application regularly. It may just work wonders. We all think that the recruiters look for several different criteria ( and they seem to have got it right if you were to meet the happy bunch of people that we have here ).
It's really a wait and see game.
Good Luck
It's sunny outside and I'm off to the beach so BYE!
Bob

cpdude
30th Jan 2001, 10:14
Anyone please,
OK, I've seen the starting salary. But, how is the salary after 3-5 years or as a new captain? How much can a 10 year captain earn?
Thanks.

cpdude

YPJT_Noodle1Departure
30th Jan 2001, 12:41
Bob the Builder,

I would agree with you that you would be hard pushed to get sun day in day out in the UK! On the salary side I disagree, you tell me that BA senior CAPT's aren't making more than 3200/month hard cash. (FO EK 16000DHS=2800quid not 3200 my mistake!)

Yes cost of living out there is very cheap compared to the western world. Yes DXB is a good place to live.....but you can't retire there! Surely it's best to get in with one of the UK carriers and retire on a pension equivilant to your Capt's salary!

I am not disputing that EK is a good co to work for, there fleet is new, they actually expand and upgrade their fleet and maintenance facility is good. Most of the FA's are quite nice too.

But really salaries aren't that much higher than the UK after TAX.

YPJT

Warlock2000
31st Jan 2001, 15:42
411A(rsehole),

You HAVE GOT to get a life! In case you had not realised, no-one seems to like you. You ARE AN IDIOT with nothing worthwhile to contribute to society. Rather play computer games than waste our time and Danny's space on this forum!

411A
31st Jan 2001, 23:22
WarLock2000
I couldn't care less whether you or anyone else likes what I say, if you don't agree with it, then don't bother to read. If you disagree, then be polite, something that I am quite sure you are totally unfamiliar with. But then....there are jerks like you in every profession.

Warlock2000
3rd Feb 2001, 09:18
Dear 411A(rsehole),

To quote you from a posting in Aircrew Notices (Misc).

"...about CRM, in actual fact in our company it is NOT required nor desired..."
"As the Chief Operating Officer/Chief Pilot, what I say goes."

Now, what is it you said about JERKS in every profession?

----------//-------------

Sorry guys, I know this has nothing to do with the original posting about Emirates, but had to get it straight.

411A
3rd Feb 2001, 10:33
Warlock2000
>>had to get it straight>>? Failed again I see.

LadyMatilda
4th Feb 2001, 09:13
411A & Warlock2000

Boys will be boys, having read the posts above and followed it back to misc, it makes me smile.
411A a captain like you would not last 5 seconds in any modern airline. Which means that you are probably the 'chief pilot' of your neighbourhood microsoft flight simulator club. :)
Look on the bright side, at least you won't be eating any 'pan steaks' on your next intergalactic mission.

411A
4th Feb 2001, 21:33
LadyMatilda
I see from your profile the you are a Flight Attendent. So now you are an expert on Flight Deck procedures and company policy with regard to pilots? Hmmm, think NOT. Never met a F/A who knew ANYTHING about the front end of an aircraft. Better stick to your "riding horses".

deepee
5th Feb 2001, 08:47
411A
Chill out,get a life.Go for a swim or a ski wherever you might be.

------------------
"I don't suffer from stress.I'm a carrier".

LadyMatilda
5th Feb 2001, 18:29
Dear 411A,

I don't claim to be an expert at anything. I simply call the game as I see it.

Since you question my aviation knowledge, I have passed my commercial pilot examinations and am currently building hours in order to take the flight test. I am also busy with the third year of an Aeronautical Engineering degree. Being cabin crew simply pays the bills!

I might not be an expert, but I certainly know the difference between a real pilot and someone with a bad attitude and a small dick!
Now I see why some people refer to you as 411Arsehole! They're being kind!

Stick to Microsoft flight sim!

[This message has been edited by LadyMatilda (edited 05 February 2001).]

LadyMatilda
5th Feb 2001, 19:15
...?OOps

[This message has been edited by LadyMatilda (edited 05 February 2001).]

411A
5th Feb 2001, 21:10
LadyMatilda
So you are a Commercial pilot? Better stick to your day job, your attitude and rudeness will not likely get you hired at any airline.
Leave the front end to guys.

cpdude
6th Feb 2001, 04:19
It's nice to know that this forum is an avenue for great information and intelligent interaction between professionals. I would hate to see what could be the dialog if immature, rude and just generally rotten people filled the threads!

Thanks

Warlock2000
6th Feb 2001, 08:06
cpdude,

I appologise for the outburst, all I can say is "some peoples children..."

To answer your question, (I got this from a fairly reliable source) a 10 year line Captain at EK is on about US$7500 pm. Not that great for a heavy longhaul command....!?

cpdude
6th Feb 2001, 22:08
Warlock2000,

Thanks!

cpdude

skidcanuck
10th Feb 2001, 04:39
I say....Maaagnummm!

PPRuNe Towers
11th Feb 2001, 13:58
A very important thread. EK hiring plans are so huge over the next few years we refuse to allow it to be hijacked.

Anything that stops people getting information to make a considered decision regarding their future destroys the basic reason for this site existing.

A first, final and public warning to those who want to bicker rather than contribute to this and other similar topics.

Regards from the Towers
Rob Lloyd
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by PPRuNe Towers (edited 11 February 2001).]

topday
12th Feb 2001, 18:17
Hi all
Would a pilot with 10000 hours mostly on small turbine twins have a chance of a getting a jet job in the Gulf, if so with who.

[This message has been edited by topday (edited 13 February 2001).]

high & fast
13th Feb 2001, 05:14
Does anybody know how many pilots EK have at the moment? Also, how many pilots do they plan to have when they have fully crewed the A340's?

PPRuNe Towers
13th Feb 2001, 09:56
I can't answer as to how many presently with EK but at recent public presentations they have stated a need for between 550 and 800 pilots.

The figure for this year alone is a considerable percentage of the above numbers.

Regards from the Towers
Rob Lloyd
[email protected]

411A
13th Feb 2001, 11:16
Where will they find experienced guys? DE Captains WILL happen, IMHO.

Warlock2000
16th Feb 2001, 03:16
411A,

I realize that DEC's for EK is obviously a well embeded idea in your mind. I don't wish to get into another shooting match with you, but sit back and THINK for just a second. Who are the B777 and A330 operators around the world. How many suitable B777 and A330/A340 Capts are out there ready to throw in the towel at there present companies to move to the desert and join EK. Anyone from United or BA??
Go back to the EK DEC thread a couple of months ago, the direct entry problem at EK was resolved with EK management.

I might be wrong......

411A
16th Feb 2001, 21:12
Warlock2000
Suspect that the supply of 777 & A340 Captains are not too thin as these types have been around for awhile. For example, there will be a few available from BA this year as the retirement age there is still 55.
UL obtained A340 Captains from PR some time ago, i'm sure they would move to EK for the lifestyle and cash. Also, as we are entering a slight downturn in business, there may well be early retirements, as these affect the bottom line for many "mature" European airlines. If EK continues to expand at a very rapid rate, and especially IF they have another incident with a junior guy, then expect DE Captains to be the solution. If they want EXPERIENCE, it will have to come from outside the company.

Warlock2000
19th Feb 2001, 23:50
411A

"UL obtained A340 Captains from PR some time ago, i'm sure they would move to EK for the lifestyle and cash..."

Do you think an EK Captain makes anywhere close to what a UL Captain makes...?

Why do you constantly keep knocking the young guys? I've seen a lot of very capable youngsters, the days of only getting a command after your 45th birthday are gone!

Warlock2000
19th Feb 2001, 23:51
411A

"UL obtained A340 Captains from PR some time ago, i'm sure they would move to EK for the lifestyle and cash..."

Do you think an EK Captain makes anywhere close to what a UL Captain makes...?

Why do you constantly keep knocking the young guys? I've seen a lot of very capable youngsters, the days of only getting a command after your 45th birthday are gone!

Pengintai
24th Feb 2001, 08:04
Keep the applications coming gentlemen. EK needs every pilot it can get it's hands on.

Next year, estimated 48 Commands on the A330, similar number on the B777. Direct Entry Commands not on the radar at the moment, but there has been a few Captain's leave over the last year, which is now starting to stretch the capabilities of the training department to keep up. Two A330 sims now, and they are all booked up!

To all who are interested, keep on applying!

411A
25th Feb 2001, 10:23
Warlock2000
Nothing wrong with the young guys and yes I had a command on heavy jets (B707-320) at the age of 30, wide body command at 36. But then I had around 8000 hours before my first jet command, mostly heavy turboprops. NOTHING succeds like experience!

Boroko Baron
25th Feb 2001, 13:32
Emirates is and will be recruiting madly for at least the next 12 months or so. For those who may not get a response immediately, or get conflicting replies with regard to reference numbers etc... don't give up, be persistent and just keep knocking on the door. It seems that blood is not only thicker than water it is also thicker than the electrons that run through computer wires, so a there are areas in the admin that are still labour intensive. Don't let it get you down.

On the numbers front, EK now has approx 550 pilots and will most likely require 800 to 1000 by the introduction of the A380 in 2006. There is room for all of us, so keep on trying.

Dan6
25th Feb 2001, 20:00
Boroko Baron
If I know a pilot in EK ,will it give a kick to my resume?and how does it work over there?

[This message has been edited by Dan6 (edited 25 February 2001).]

Jopa
27th Feb 2001, 23:30
Boroko Baron,

I bet your message gives us all, wannabes, a lot of hope.

You mention to be persistent and to keep knocking on the door. Any suggestion on what door to knock? Shall I try to get in touch directly with the recruitment dept. at EK? Do you know of the pool, i.e. the average experience of pilots in it?

Many thanks,

ex DOUBLECHECK
28th Feb 2001, 00:21
Another question to this highly interesting thread; Have 1400 hours heavy jet but only 1800 hours total time. Will this give me any chance or would it be better to wait until I've reached 2500 total?

Keep :-)

ETOPS MAN
28th Feb 2001, 02:36
Sorry to interupt you drivers, Would any of you M Rats have to know anyone in the Flight Operations Dept who I can contact to arrange a visit. The area of concern is Flight Dispatch/Navigation. I am passing through Dubai in late March and hope to visit the Emirates operation and thought it be better to officialy arrange a knock on the door than just pull up out of the blue!

145qrh
28th Feb 2001, 14:19
Just had an e-mail to say that I am the holding pool for interview, what is the likely waiting time ?????????????????

Can anyone give shed light.?

[This message has been edited by 145qrh (edited 06 March 2001).]

Boroko Baron
1st Mar 2001, 03:19
Dan 6, yes it would be advantageous if you knew a pilot in Emirates, especially someone you have flown with in the past. They will take written recommendations from colleagues who have operated with you and who can give some assessment of your piloting skills.

Good Luck.

skidcanuck
6th Mar 2001, 02:45
Vaguely reminiscent to a similat situation in Burma, forty-three. Corky Bostwick and I were pinned down by enemy fire, and needless to say the situation seemed desperate!

grusome
6th Mar 2001, 15:29
Eh?
Was that the Great Sandy Desert of Burma, you slippery Canadian, you?
Gru

Noddy Staltern
7th Mar 2001, 18:04
Can any current Emirates F/Os let us know what the current allowances package is? The website states basic pay, but does not mention allowances. Also, what is the anticipated current time to command?

Thanks, Noddy

Check 'Six'
13th Mar 2001, 18:22
Greetings Emirates Wannabees. I have been with this airline for seven years now and a captain for three. I am presently on the A330. To discuss salay issues, allow me to try and put it into perspective. When I joined Emirates as an F/O, the salary was 14,700.00 Dhs (3.65Dhs = 1.00US) Today an F/O receives 16040.00Dhs. The salary has increased by 1340.00 Dhs in seven years. So, some of you could be thinking that prices have not gone up that much during that period. They have! Very significantly. When I arrived with my wife and child seven years back, we moved into a nice villa, which generally speaking still is the case. After having bought the obligatory 4x4, not that we ever take it into the desert, but because most Emirates pilots have them. The company loans you an amount of 55,000.00 Dhs as a once off payment, repayed over four years interest free. In my time it was 50,000.00Dhs. For the purpose of buying a car. Anyway, my story is not about 4x4's, which are about the only liability that is still cheaper to own in the Gulf than anywhere in the world, however, you do not uproot your family for the sake of a vechile.
My monthly home bill in 1994 was 4000.00Dhs, today its 9,000.00Dhs. So what has changed? Well in my case, we now have a total of three kids.But everything is paid for,you ask? Maybe for other professionals and with their respective jobs! However, schooling is not completely paid for, it is subsidised up to a certain value, 90% there of. Anything above the company's target for you childs age, and you pay for that. Never was like that though. "Peter pays Paul and vice versa." I am sure we are all familiar with the saying. "Goal posts moved." Well, get very used to these sayings, working for Emirates. Whatever "contract" or "agreement" you sign today about benefits, will change in the future! You can bet your life on it!!
Any extra activities you want your kids to attend after school, you will pay. The schools here are allright, not fantastic. Please do not let anyone try and tell you different. The 9 big ones that I pay every month is for food,maid,household cleaning products and kids extras. Going out for dinners or movies, thats extra. A lot extra. Unless you want to eat in Karama(The Bronx)

Medi-care, anything more serious than a nose bleed, you will take yourself or family overseas! I promise you this.

I love it when I hear some of you use the term "House paid for." Accomodation is paid for, only. Your villa in Jumeira(Beverly Hills) will be worth absolutely nothing to you or your family in monetary terms after 20 or more years, only memories and money spent to make it home.

My current salary is 25,700, three years ago it was 24,200. An increase of 1,500 in three years. Top end scale is a whopping 36,700 per month, it will take me twelve years from present position to reach it.

Recently, from one of my newly employed colleagues, I heard a really good one. "When I joined Emirates, they gave me two buckets. One big and one small. The big bucket is to fill it up with money, the small one with sh*t and whichever one fills up first, you leave! Do I sound cynical? Thats because I am!

Dubai in general is a nice place to live with young baby kiddies. When they start getting older, generally in their teens, is when people leave. For various reasons!

If however you are single, or married with no kids, you get an apartment and maybe if you are lucky, you get to live in "Jumeira."

My advise to all aspiring Emirates wannabees Is please weigh up your decisions very carefully. Especially for your family's sake. For those of you who do not have the luxury of weighing up decisions, apply! I look forward to flying with you.

The one really positive statement that I will make is about my colleagues. They are all generally an excellent group of guys! If ever I leave, that will be the one aspect of this job that I will miss.

God's speed to all of you out there, and may the force be with you!

wonderbusdriver
13th Mar 2001, 20:00
Thank you "six"!

That must have been about the most honest and comprehensive answer about EK and life in DXB - It summarizes exactly what I´ve read, heard and heard first-hand.

Really looks like the guys at the interview last year (very nice and extremely professional) did me a favor by making the decision for me...

Jopa
14th Mar 2001, 00:40
Check "six",

Thank you much for your opportune comments. I will, for sure, reconsider the opportunity from a different perspective.

However, I wonder if the buckets are "paid for"? :rolleyes:

Cheers and thanks again,

Check 'Six'
14th Mar 2001, 01:14
"Wonderbusdriver," you are very welcome. I have just been reading so much about colleagues the world over, who aspire to join Emirates and I feel it is very important to let them know as much as possible, before they make up their minds.

Not so long ago, a friend from a major airline visited us here in Dubai. He too was very keen on this place. I promised him that I would not try and fill his brain up with Helium about this place and company and that we would rather discuss the every day issues of expat life in the Gulf and what it is like working for Emirates. We all make certain decisions in life that we feel are important at the time. My decision to come to Emirates was and still is the right one for me. It might not however be the right one for somebody else!
My friend decided not to apply after discussing numerous issues with me and other pilots. I am sad he did not for my own selfish reasons, as he is truly a good friend, but I on the other hand, I am very satisfied that he and his wife decided to remain where they are.

I know that you are probably wondering what these issues are? Well, one of the most important issues here is being human. By being so, you are prone to making mistakes, like the rest of humanity. At least when you do make a mistake somewhere else, you are not standing alone!

Rostering? We receive them one week before the end of the month. Sometimes, four days before!

You will work for every Dirham they pay you.
Overtime starts at 83.5 hrs for a 31 day roster.

Tolerance!! It will become your only saving grace. Tolerate it all and life is absolutely blissfull! Fight back, and soon you realize just how alone you really are!

Well in case some of you are wondering about which one of my buckets is filling up more rapidly, it is the small one. The big bucket has a long way to go. But then again, I have the patience and tolerance to last a while longer.

My Best wishes to all of you, where ever you are!

Check 'Six'
14th Mar 2001, 01:36
Hello "Jopa."

The buckets are not for free my friend, only my experience here is.

Regards!

Dropp the Pilot
15th Mar 2001, 08:25
Check 6's comments should be tempered with this observation:

I've been here longer than he has. In my time I think about 10 pilots have left voluntarily and every single one of these left for personal taste reasons (ie. a desire to live in Europe, an opportunity to live closer to home). No one has ever left Emirates because they found a comprehensively better package.

Tram-Boy
15th Mar 2001, 08:41
Have to agree with Drop, same old story....home is home and eventually most people return regardless of the conditions.

goldenrivet
16th Mar 2001, 00:09
Good to see that you are all quite happy with your lot in the desert! My outfit give you two small buckets when you join and when they're full you get two bigger ones to put them into!

TOGA Thrust
16th Mar 2001, 00:36
The answer from Check "Six" is pretty balanced. Weigh up the odds very carefully before comming to Dubai.

Emirates is a good company. The people you fly with for the most part are a great bunch. Dubai is a pleasant, peaceful place to live.

However the current time to command is now very long despite the projected number of pilots required. A consolidation period is coming for a number of reasons. The current pilots will upgrade in longer and longer times but anyone joining will have quite a wait.

As for the cost of living - Simply it is skyrocketing. Basic inflation in Dubai is nine percent. However for the type of life that most pilots aspire to its much higher.

Emirates Salary is basically unchanged, a three percent step each year for years of service. This is in fact not even guaranteed as we are so often reminded. A joining FO today is far worse off than one joining seven years ago.

The little things are tightened as the economies of scale take place as the company grows. This allowance is trimmed, that benefit revoked.

Schooling is becoming limited with new joiners having real problems finding any schooling at all.

Emirates has been good to most of us but as they grow their bills get bigger and they try to keep them down. The airline of milk, honey and a quick command is no more.

Nite_Flite
17th Mar 2001, 01:50
If one was to join EK today, well OK tommorrow morning, how long time would it take to command?
My friend you joined 2½ years ago is upgrading as we speak...

10/4
17th Mar 2001, 02:19
Greetings Gentlemen.
I must say after reading Check 'six' and TOGA Thrusts contributions above, I am slightly confused about Emirates Airlines and life in Dubai. I have been given a different impression, maybe the glorified version.
I have been invited to a interview in Dubai for Emirates. I am at present a captain for a European airline flying medium size jets.
I have a family with children under the age of 11.
I do not know anyone in Emirates, so if you kind gentlemen who work for and know the company would take the time to answer some questions I would realy appreciate it.

Here goes:
How long can a experienced jet captain expect to fly as a F/O?
It sounds strange that as the company grows, the time to promotion takes longer?

What is the average derdiem/allowance per month?

How is the roster, do you get days off between flight to spend with the family?

Schools, TOGA says one may have problems finding one. How can anyone expect pilots to move to Dubai if there is not room for their "hopefuls" in a good school?

Medi-care was mentioned, I`ve been told it is very good, but 'six' is obviously not impressed. Can I not expect good medical care for my children if they get sick or injured?

Do you live in the same area and what is this area called?
How is it for the children to grow up in the area where you pilots live?
What kind of activities are there for them at different age levels?

To 'six' and TOGA, would you, knowing what you do, joined Emirates today?
Would you feel safe on the bottom of the seniority list?

And last but not least, what goes on during three days of interviews???????

Lots of questions. If you please could answer some of them you will have one less confused pilot flying around in your airspace. Thanks in advance and happy landings.
Regards a "maybe Emirates Wannabee"

Check 'Six'
18th Mar 2001, 03:15
Hello 10/4.

Here goes!

Time to command anything between 3 and 6.
Schools: As I mentioned reasonably good, however,educating your kids in home country is one thing! Dubai is a transit stop for many expats, including teachers and all professionals.

Medi-care: Same as above!

Area that I live in, is nice. Kids play within the complex. Swimming pool, tennis court. All other activities, you pay for! Going to the beach, piano, ballet, etc....

Would I join Emirates today? Depends, where and for who I am working for. If am with a good employer living at HOME and paying all the bills without a problem, the answer is NO! If I could not afford to pay bills( include the mortgage with the bills) then, YES!

Roster? On average 10 - 12 days off, If the airline employs the right amount of crews (8 -8.5) per aircraft, then rosters can be favourable. Bidding system is not world class by any stretch of the imagination, only because of the pilot shortage and the number of flights we have to cover, therefore manual intervention by the schedulers!

Per diem? NONE! Meal allowance paid in local currency of that particular country, across the reception desk of the hotel. Meal allowance is EXACTLY what it says it is! Including the discount the hotel offers for these meals, that discount has already been factored into your allowance. Most layovers average 24 - 36 hrs. Less layovers on B777 than A330.

The grass does always seem greener on the other side. However, over here, there is no grass, so bring your sand rake with.

Regards.

Check 'Six'
18th Mar 2001, 03:27
What would be very welcome, is a whopping increase in salary. Currently, it is under review. So, let us wait and see. Rumours range from 0 - 30%. We should know by May.

Regards.

high & fast
18th Mar 2001, 20:36
As someone who is about to embarke on a career with EK the one thing that would reinforce my move would be a substantial salary increase. After all, the boys have not had a pay rise for a long time. Six years I believe. Especially with the B777 bases in OZ for Singapore airlines and the current lucrative rates for contract widebody skippers in mind. The company should reward their vauable asset. Their pilots.

MarvintheMartian
20th Mar 2001, 19:06
All the best in your interview 10/4! Hoping to get one myself soon. Just wondering what sort of time frame you experienced from the "in the hold" list, to the invite for an interview?
Thanks in advance.

10/4
21st Mar 2001, 00:17
Dear Check 'six'.
Thank you so much for your answer.
I work for a good company. I can pay my bills and morgage. But I also pay my 50% tax and freeze my b.. off 6 months a year.
Still uncertain, we`ll see. All the best to you and your family.
Regards.

[This message has been edited by 10/4 (edited 21 March 2001).]

high & fast
21st Mar 2001, 16:52
My thanks too Check 'six'. You have been very informative and honest about EK. It's a difficult decision for most people whether or not to go to EK. Lets hope you guys get a healthy pay rise come April.

Check 'Six'
22nd Mar 2001, 00:08
Dear Colleagues, you are very welcome!

Regards

Check Six.

Gusset lock
24th Mar 2001, 20:57
Hi Guys!

Very interesting thread. I am keen to apply. However, it would appear that a main criteria for happiness be a happy 'er in doors'...please help!

1) How easy is standby travel with family of four, considering all porbably travelling during school hols...

2) Is it easy/difficult/frowned upon for pilots wives to work & is salary fair...

3) Is everyone happy with the standard of schools there and how much extra would you expect to pay to upgrade if nesc...

Any help appreciated, thanks. Looking forward to the move..

------------------
'...flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground and missing..'

offblock1
25th Mar 2001, 02:05
great info check 6, thank you very much.
What it all boils down to is that you may work for these conditions but you have no right on it.If they change things it is take it or shove off to where you came from.So tolerance is the a and o of life there, so it seems.
Quite a decision to join a company where you have basically no rights, union to back you and your contract. Nevertheless it is tempting I must say. Been there seen the lifestyle and was a bit impressed.Hope management sees the real assets the company has! The guys who I met in DXB where top.