PDA

View Full Version : Poor bugga him!

Capt Claret
9th Apr 2008, 01:30
Mrs C, getting her NT fix, brought the following NT News story to my attention.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2008/04/08/plane_flip.jpg

Plane flips on soggy sea landing

REBEKAH CAVANAGH

09Apr08

A SEA-PLANE crashed into the ocean yesterday when it flipped on landing at a popular Territory fishing spot.

Onlookers feared the worst as they watched the plane overturn and land upside down in the water. But the shaken pilot soon resurfaced to say he was "OK''.

Police said the plane arrived safely on the Crab Claw Island airstrip in Bynoe Harbour, about 130km southwest of Darwin, the night before. But when the pilot went to move it into the water to collect passengers on the waterfront yesterday morning he struck trouble and crashed.

The Northern Territory News understands he failed to pull up the tyres for a water landing.

Crab Claw Island Fishermen's Village owner Bill Briscoe said the pilot was lucky.

"We had boats here and they all shot right out and got the pilot off and checked him out,'' he said.

"He had a bit of a mark across the nose that's basically about it.''

The sea-plane, valued at more than $1million, was last night still stuck belly up in the water.

At low tide in the afternoon the plane emerged from the water as it sat on a sandbar.

Police from Palmerston travelled to the scene to investigate further. Insurance assessors also visited the scene yesterday.

Or, click here (http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2008/04/09/3819_ntnews.html) for the original article.

Flying Binghi
9th Apr 2008, 01:51
Lets not be too hard on him...

try the caption - There but for the grace of god go I.

Capt Wally
9th Apr 2008, 02:32
..........now on the "flipside" to life as a pilot being a submarine Capt might be the go..........:)
OR

.......................now to set the QNH below sea level .................:)

CW

RadioSaigon
9th Apr 2008, 02:48
There but for the grace of god go I.

Well spoken Flying Binghi. So very true for most of us, not only in this circumstance but so many others that see the "experts" offering their "wisdom" in these pages.

It's a phrase that should be tattooed on every pilots forehead, I reckon.

Socket
9th Apr 2008, 03:02
I'm sure the aircrafts owner won't be saying "don't be too hard on him". The :mad: moron obviously believed himself too good to need to use a checklist. Wonder if he still has a job?

Rich-Fine-Green
9th Apr 2008, 03:18
The sea-plane, valued at more than $1million, was last night still stuck belly up in the water

Curious about the aircraft type...

More than $1,000,000; was it a C208 on floats?.

troppo
9th Apr 2008, 03:39
See tin's thread 'van seaplane arse over kite...'
he sh:mad:t the bed yesterday before you and broke the news

tinpis
9th Apr 2008, 05:12
Yeah,what troppo said....:hmm:

Capt Claret
9th Apr 2008, 06:08
Well poor bugga me. I didn't see that!

Mebe I'm a sillier git than Tin. :}

NDB Alpha
9th Apr 2008, 06:14
Saw something fairly similar, when a cool wee microlight float plane landed on a runway WITHOUT lowering the wheels...very good (gentle) landing accompanied by a showers of sparks:eek:...with the help of Rescue Fire they picked it up so that the wheels could be lowered and he taxied off. Considerably better outcome than the above!

Mach.29
9th Apr 2008, 06:21
Bloody illegal crab pots!

tinpis
9th Apr 2008, 06:33
Posted by The NT News
Plane flips on soggy sea landing

The NT coppers emptied a huge haul of muddies out of the cabin when they hauled it up the beach.
The grateful owner said for them to keep half of the crabs and he would empty the water out of the fuel start 'er up and set it again tonight...:hmm:

joke

The Voice
9th Apr 2008, 09:07
:ok: onya Tinny - see, there's always an upside to everything!

Capt Wally
9th Apr 2008, 09:18
"the Voice", you mean "the flipside" not the upside!:E

CW

Mr Milk
9th Apr 2008, 09:36
Anyone know the rego?
a picture's worth 1000 words hey. shoulda pulled the dunlops in.

kingRB
9th Apr 2008, 09:40
I'm sure the aircrafts owner won't be saying "don't be too hard on him". The :mad: moron obviously believed himself too good to need to use a checklist. Wonder if he still has a job?

to be fair, looks like he at least remembered to keep the rudders retracted :p

goin'flyin
9th Apr 2008, 10:00
So much for "The Lights are Blue, the gear is up for a water landing"

Obviously didn't pay attention to that important little phrase during the endorsement

Not a poor bugger as far as i'm concerned. :ugh:
Enjoy the insurance paperwork on that one.

GoDsGiFtToAvIaTiOn
9th Apr 2008, 11:51
A bit of a **** up, eh!

GG

Capt Claret
9th Apr 2008, 12:46
There but for the grace of the deity, ..... FIGJAM.