PDA

View Full Version : Degree including fATPL - any use?

Viola
8th Apr 2008, 20:42
Someone I know is considering enrolling for a Degree in Air Transport (I think) with a fATPL. I assume it will teach him the theory, but that he will have to pay for the flying. (I don’t think he quite appreciates how much that will cost.)

The entry requirements for this particular degree are not very high.

He is expected to get very good A Levels – a couple are relevant subjects to flying.

What do you think?

tupues
8th Apr 2008, 23:25
Its more a fATPL with a 'degree' added on. The degree is just a couple of essays as the groundschool makes up a large amount of the modules required.

BerksFlyer
8th Apr 2008, 23:47
Not sure whether the 'degree' would be respected. Probably best to either go straight for the fATPL the usual way, or do a proper degree first then train for the fATPL.

They've got to ask themselves the question why they want to get a degree? If they want to fly but want a 'back up' then I don't see the benefit of this particular course as It isn't going to hold as much weight as a 'proper' degree. If the purpose would be just to satisfy the parents that they are going to university, then maybe :}

Kerosine
9th Apr 2008, 06:48
(I don’t think he quite appreciates how much that will cost.)

I was originally going to go for a degree in Aero Eng with fATPL. When I asked about finiancing and how much the degree and ATPLs are combined, the Uni explained that they just allow time in the schedule for you to revise/fly etc. There is no financial help, at least not where I applied.

Also he must consider the workload. Tremendous amount of knowledge retention needed for ATPL exams, that on top of his degree?

Kerosine
9th Apr 2008, 11:47
Uni of liverpool is where I was applying actually. They requires, as part of the course, 20 hours of PPL training to be completed. You have the option to take time out of your timetable to study for ATPLs etc in year 3.

Kerosine
9th Apr 2008, 12:26
You had to do your flight training through RavenAir at JL Airport and your ATPLs through Bristol from what I remember, so it's no more expensive than modular outside uni. It's the fact that your paying for that while paying for Uni! Unless you have seriously loaded/generous parents you would be pushed get finance for the lot over 3 years.

Viola
12th Apr 2008, 15:32
Thanks for all the replies. I don't have much knowledge about this.

I wondered if it was worth doing.

Was it better to do a degree in something relevant (engineering maybe) if you had good A Levels OR go for a fATPL instead if you really, really wanted to be a pilot.

To do both a degree and a fATPL at the same time seemed a huge amount of work.

I was also concerned that the exams for the fATPL would run out before you could get all the flying in, if you were a poor student (ie not much money).

preduk
12th Apr 2008, 15:42
Personally... I think the degree is worth nothing.

A pilot with a degree should be using it as a backup plan in another subject incase things go wrong, if things do go wrong with that degree you are stuck.

Either do the ATPL theory OR do a Degree in a subject and the ATPL after

My opinion.