PDA

View Full Version : Any info on Oman Air?

idle gate
15th May 2001, 02:26
Does any of you guys in the area know how Oman Air is to work for,living conditions,pay,schedule,etc.
Appreciate any info pls. Thanks!!

------------------
per aspera ad astra

wonderbusdriver
15th May 2001, 14:23
Donīt know about Oman Air conditions, sorry.

But... I was in Muscat for a few days some weeks ago.
"Sunny with a beautiful ocean" - would be my summary.
Wouldnīt want to live there, not even as a single person - unless, of course they were paying mega$$$, so I could leave after a short time.
Only way expats can take it (what I heard), is by flying to DXB on a regular basis.

Just my impression from a short visit.

Good luck, if you go or not.

Jed A1
15th May 2001, 19:19
Again I don't know the inside story on Oman Air but Muscat is a fine place to be based. I visit regularly and most people enjoy living there. It does take a while to get into the expat community as there are lots of small companies employing small numbers of expats.

Lots to do in Oman, boating, diving, sports, concerts, mountain walking, drinking etc etc. Only trouble is beer is a bit pricey at US$5 a pint. However buy your own at the bottle shop (with liquor permit) for US$15 a case.

I agree that if you want to walk away with any money you need a good salary package. Food, groceries and entertainment are about twice as expensive as the UK. Most people go to Dubai for a change of scenery, cheaper shopping and shagging.

idle gate
20th May 2001, 20:10
Thanks for the info guys!Oman dosent sound bad at all!Anyone else out there that knows a little about Oman Air itself, and conditions?

divingduck
29th May 2001, 23:16
yep Oman Air fly F27's out into the scrub, B737/400's wet leased from Pegasus, A310's and a swag full of ATR45's.

muscat is a great place once you get used to the life style...not sure about the double the price of living in London... I've been her over 3 years...

Come on over and have a ball.

Lapsus linguae
30th May 2001, 14:24
When do the 737NG's arrive, what are the current conditions of employment like. Is high quality accomodation provided. Thanks.

idle gate
8th Jun 2001, 19:38
thanks for the info divingduck. It sounds pretty interesting to me, so I guess Im going if Im offered the position. see Yaa!

ironbutt57
10th Jun 2001, 16:37
hey diving duck...you a scuba diver?

divingduck
10th Jun 2001, 18:10
Hey Ironbutt....

Yep, I dive here at every opportunity, great place ;)

Water is a bit warm at present, around 32C for the top 10m.

------------------
turn the plane! turn the plane!

Charliebob2000
21st Jun 2001, 15:02
I worked in Oman for 8 Yrs, having left about 5 Yrs ago.

What the guys above have said is pretty accurate.

Salalah is the second city, and is about 1000Kms to the south. It has a large Airport area, though not too many buildings yet, and has been trying to become international for some time.

Masirah Island is probably the next largest destination for internal flights.

There is an oil installation about half way down the Country (I forget the name) which is served by the F27,s or Dash 7,s (not sure which), you can't miss it, just follow the big black tarmac line that runs the length of the Country.

There's not much at these places, though I'm sure Salalah is now much bigger than I remember.

Muscat, where you will undoubtedly be based is quite cosmopoliton, and expanding rapidly.
Accomodation should be fairly good, but keep an open mind, most modern buildings were constructed by European firms, but the upkeep has been left to local contractors.
There is plenty to do:
Bowling,Ice-skating,some theatre,plenty of restaurants,hotel bars,hash-house-harriers,an active rugby club,very good diving,some interesting sight-seeing, weekenders in the desert,and of course everyone escapes to DBX now and then.

The Omanis are generally very friendly and accept Europeans Aussies etc without any obvious problems. Most of the service industries are manned by Asians. English is widely spoken, but it's worth the effort to learn a little Arabic.

Oman is not the richest of the Gulf States, so expect this to be reflected in your salary offer, you can always move up to Bahrain later.

Can't tell you much about Oman Air it-self, other than I am hoping to apply to them my-self some time in the future (maybe that's some kind of recomendation). If you have any useful information to share I would be very grateful, as good reliable info' is hard to come by.

Finally, I left Oman 5 Yrs ago, many things will have changed, so please bear this in mind.

Good luck.

Bob Brailsford
[email protected]

newswatcher
21st Jun 2001, 17:11
LL,

Earlier this year the schedule for delivery for the 737NGs was - 2 by December 2001, 1 May 2002, 1 July 2002, and 1 May 2004. There are options for a single one in 2006 and 2008.