PDA

View Full Version : PPL Costs

wallyb
8th Apr 2008, 18:56
How much on average would it cost to do a PPL?
Also how much would it cost to build 150 hours.Im intrested in flying turboprop in the future if im lucky engouth.

Thanks
Josh

Mercenary Pilot
8th Apr 2008, 19:03
How much on average would it cost to do a PPL?Around £5500

how much would it cost to build 150 hoursAbout £10000 - £15000 in the UK should cover it.

I suggest you read the sticky at the top of the forum for all the info about the training you need to complete before you can start flying commercially, be it on turbo-props or jets (It's exactly the same licence BTW).

:ok:

Shunter
8th Apr 2008, 19:04
If you get through in the minimum 45hrs (some do, most don't) you'll probably bend the best part of £6k all in.

Hours building prices vary enormously, but the states is by far the cheapest. Anywhere between £7-10k I'd guess, depending on what you fly, and that's flying only. Then you've got accomodation etc to deal with. When all is said and done it may work out cheaper and more convenient to join a no-equity group in the UK and fly it at your convenience.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
8th Apr 2008, 19:33
Wallyb,

Just another piece of advice for you, when doing your research, make sure you know what is included in the price. You will notice alot of schools will publish a price as a package, and sometimes at a discounted rate if you pay in advance. There are sometimes a few hidden costs that you need to take into consideration, and that goes with any flying course.

The exams, both ground exams and flight tests are often at extra cost. Also you will need to consider the course material you will need to purchase. Another thing is some schools do not include the landing fees, so budget for that. With the above in mind, you could be looking at an additonal £1000 ish.

Also as mentioned by Shunter, is most courses are priced at you going through in minimum hours. One of the most common contributing factors to you not going through in minimum hours is lack of continuity. This will most likely be through no fault of your own i.e. poor weather, but it is something to consider.

All the best with your flying, it's a lot of fun.

sketchy
8th Apr 2008, 19:50
Is that you justjoshing? Hope so, I missed ya!

student88
8th Apr 2008, 21:02
My PPL in a PA28 cost around £7K and that's not inc. text books, exam fees and other necessities!

S88:ok:

Mercenary Pilot
8th Apr 2008, 21:20
£7K

:eek: Eeek. When I did my PPL, it cost around £3000-4000 all in.

Thanks for making me feel old guys! :{

;)

Merritt
9th Apr 2008, 07:01
I did my PPL in exactly 45hrs at Thruxton and it cost just over £7600. The link below is a spreadsheet for all my costs from last year - it is surprising how much exam fees, books, medicals etc add up!

PPL Costs (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steveb.merritt/PPLcosts.xls)

:ok:

Just wanted to add - its well worth it when you can then go and take photos like this ;)

Piccy 1 (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steveb.merritt/1.JPG)

Piccy 2 (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steveb.merritt/3.JPG)

Piccy 3 (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steveb.merritt/4.JPG)

Piccy 4 (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steveb.merritt/5.JPG)

Steve

Shunter
9th Apr 2008, 08:34
My advice when doing the PPL would be to do it in the cheapest aircraft possible - usually a 152. By learning in a PA28 (yuck, by the way) all you're doing is jacking up the hourly rate to the extent that you'll probably pay at least another £500 over the course of the, err, course.

It's very quick and easy to get a checkout on another type once you've got your ticket. Note that this isn't a legal requirement, just clubs/schools protecting their aircraft. An SEP is an SEP is an SEP, after all (unless it's got a wobbly prop and disappearing wheels).

CAT3C AUTOLAND
9th Apr 2008, 08:41
Shunter, not always the case for people who are slightly overweight :=.

Parson
9th Apr 2008, 09:02
I did my PPL on a piper which has lots of 'elbow room' - don't think I'd have enjoyed it as much, squeezed into a 152. You're paying alot of cash so make sure you're enjoying it in the best possible environment.

Mercenary Pilot
9th Apr 2008, 10:41
What's wrong with PA-28's??? :p

I do agree that it's cheaper to do a PPL in a 2 seater though. However, It's an often overlooked fact that many flying schools operate their training aircraft overweight due to the average instructor/student combo being a little hefty these days. ;)

student88
9th Apr 2008, 22:49
By learning in a PA28 (yuck, by the way)

You're obviously not 6'4".

S88:ok:

Merritt
10th Apr 2008, 06:36
Its not just about finding a school that can offer 152's for cheaper hourly flying - you have to be within close driving distance of it too. I live 5 minutes from thruxton which only operates PA28s. Popham is my next closest but does not offer the PPL. My next closest training school is an extra 15 to 20 mins away (and im not even sure they operate 152s). Take in to account the extra cost of fuel getting there over 6 months and you probably negate the benefit of training in a 152!

Steve

bri1980
10th Apr 2008, 06:52
Money: I did my PPL in 45 hours (and 45 minutes) and I'd say all told it cost nearly £8000. That includes all of my own kit pre-planned for commercial training (so the more expensive options e.g. CRP5 rather than CRP1 etc.). I did all of my training except for the first 4 or 5 hours on a brand spanking new Warrior III (had about 150 hours on it when I started).

As a previous post says, when I look at at some of the photographs I have now it was worth it. There is more to a PPL than being able to fly. I found it extremely rewarding and I found out a lot about myself and my capabilities doing it. I think the experience improved the way I look at problems and setbacks!

Bri