PDA

View Full Version : Airside security pass, anyone else had any problems?

tikka man
8th Apr 2008, 17:00
Hi there, I thought I'd post this in this form as it seemed like the best place to be read by currently employed pilots, sorry if its in the wrong place.

Just heard today that my application for an Airside/Security pass has been turned down. Apparently my 5 year history is not up to scratch as there are a large number of different jobs/ references on there, some of which they were unable to check. Apparently I need to send them some further information for the application to be processed.

Has anyone else out there had any similar problems? I'm a bit concerned to be honest.

A Very Civil Pilot
8th Apr 2008, 17:32
Sounds about right.

Even if you had 1 day spare between jobs, it needs to be accounted for.

Tell them you were on a training course - in Afghanistan!

No Country Members
8th Apr 2008, 18:13
Unfortunately the terrorists don't need the same paperwork before being allowed airside. No idea why.

Mercenary Pilot
8th Apr 2008, 18:18
No idea why.Because they get their mates to vouch for/ falsify their whereabouts! As with most current security procedures, they do little to deter real evil doers and only discriminate against honest people. :ugh:

A Very Civil Pilot
8th Apr 2008, 20:07
On a more serious note, get confirmation of the exact dates you were working, in education or registered unemployed.

If you were registered self-employed at any time, HMRC can supply a letter stating the dates of when you started and stopped. From my experience you need to tell them exactly what you want.

If you were out of the country, airline ticket stubs, receipts, boarding passes and visa stamps can prove where you were. If it was for any length of time you may have registered with a British consulate, or be on another countries tax, social security or immigration system.

Any other bits, I think a referee of 'good standing' (like for a passport application) can supply a letter stating what you were doing.

Assuming it all goes OK for this application, KEEP THE RECORDS, as you'll have to do it all over again for your next pass!

Wilton Shagpile
8th Apr 2008, 21:04
I had quite a few big gaps in mine and they were happy with a personal referee of good standing to verify that I was where I said I was....just the time I took off between modular courses and gardening leave between previous jobs etc.

What does "unable to check" mean? Are the companies you worked for out of business? Maybe your referee has moved on?

The tax office (I think somebody said) is a good place to go - they might be able to verify your employment. Alternatively, maybe organise better and/or current referees at you previous places of employment.

AFAIK, they aren't allowed to discriminate agains you and deny you an airside pass if you have had over a certain number of previous jobs!!!

Good luck!

tikka man
8th Apr 2008, 21:28
I'm not quite sure what has happened to be honest, I went to a fair bit of trouble in the first place to make sure all the references and contact details were correct and ok, some of them I rang myself this afternoon to check.

Lets hope its nothing to worry about would be terrible to lose my career due to something which should be no problem whatsoever.
Needless to say my employer isn't too happy, its a bit embarrassing to be honest.

Dit
8th Apr 2008, 23:25
I've had problems with security checks too, basically cause no-one at the company you used to work for cares about you getting it!

It might be good if you've had lots of temp jobs to put it down as one job with the temp company for the entire range of dates rather than each individual place you went to.

Same with education - make it cover all you're holiday dates unless they specifically ask you not too, or the education establishment will not provide it.

I can only echo Mercenary Pilot's sentiments that it does 'little to deter real evil doers and only discriminate against honest people'.

As with most things, a little 'creative paperwork' can save you a hell of alot of trouble.

Mercenary Pilot
9th Apr 2008, 07:08
As with most things, a little 'creative paperwork' can save you a hell of alot of trouble.

And as much as it pains me to say, you wouldn't be the first and you certainly won't be the last. :(

silverhawk
11th Apr 2008, 06:53
Which just goes to show what a crock the Disclosure system is.
Just another useless initiative that hoodwinks the public into believing that our security is robust.