PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Network Architecture

Golf_Seirra
8th Apr 2008, 08:11
Trying to get a wireless system working in crew house more effectively. Any ideas from the boffs on how to better the current system ?

Internet Router, 512kbps - microwave link.
then to a Dlink 8 port hub...idea is to have desktops wired directly to hub if wireless goes down...not working at present because have single IP addr from service provider...

then off to Linksys Router with 4 port output to 3 Linksys54G access point ansd 1 Dlink Wireless Router.

All works fine except that wireless is a bit weak on each floor. 4 floors with about 8 rooms each...running on channel 11...does changing the channel / freq help with signal strenght ?

The crew desktop running Vista sometimes throws its toys out the cot and will not connect to the Linksys but connects fine to the DLink...

Vista also does not repair well but if you manually disconnect and re-connect, it comes right.

The Linksys is running in Gateway mode, not Router Mode...is that right ? We also have the DHCP server enabled...

The Linksys Expanders / Access Points are running in AP mode not AP client or Wireless Repeater...the idea I get from that is to use the benifit of the hardwire cables....

The units do not like being switched off and we sometimes battle to log onto the internet. Often get limited or no connectivity messages...

Anyone got a system diagram with basic settings which are good enough for typical system use....

Many thanks,

G.S.
:ugh:

PPRuNeUser0171
8th Apr 2008, 12:05
Wired or wireless with work with a single IP address. The router needs to be in NAT mode and this is ideal from a security stand point.

Hyph
8th Apr 2008, 12:26
Lots of questions... I can only answer a few of them, but maybe enough to help you.

Firstly... those hard-wired desktops... if you have a single IP address from your provider, you must be using NAT to get the WiFi clients working. Whatever is providing the NAT service for WiFi clients can also provide it for your desktops.

Why have you got a mix of Linksys and D-Link WiFi gear? Deploying mixed hardware is more likely to lead to confusion and increased support problems later on. :confused:

Anyway...

You say that the wireless signal is weak on each floor. That may be due to the construction of your building and/or the position of the WiFi equipment. Usually WiFi equipment is mounted in a high position - frequently on the wall - to ensure obstructions to the signal are minimised.

To build a building-wide WiFi network properly you need signal plotting tools (not cheap) and time to experiment.

Without these tools, you're down to experimentation by roving around the building to see where the weak spots are, reposition the access points and rove around the building again to see if it's better/the same/worse.

You also appear to suggest that the access points are running on Channel 11. Is that right? Are all of them on Ch.11? If so, they will interfere with one another and degrade the signal strength - that alone might be the main cause of your problem.

Despite the number of selectable channels in WiFi networking, in fact, they overlap one another and this causes interference. Normally, channels 1, 6 and 11 are used as there is less overlap between these. Use a different channel for each WiFi access point.

You have four access points but only three clear channels to play with. You will need to experiment to see what works for your location but you may find that you can use Ch.1 on the top and bottom floors without too much interference. If that doesn't work out, try channels 1, 5, 9 and 13 (if that's available to you).

I can't answer your questions on the config settings for your Linksys kit.

I would strongly encourage you to troubleshoot your network from the basics. Switch everything off and start with your primary connection to your provider. Make sure that is working, then move on and add only one device. When you are fully satisfied that device is working, add the next device. Only make one change at a time, otherwise you won't know what change caused the problem. Your Linksys access points should have the same configuration, with the exception of the channel.

Good luck! :ok:

The Flying Pram
8th Apr 2008, 13:51
You could download "NetStumbler" (http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/) onto one of your laptops and use its signal strength display to help you. Will also show what other networks are nearby and channels used.

Golf_Seirra
8th Apr 2008, 16:23
Thanks guys...will try the ch 11 story. I had a feeling it may be a problem. Out of interest, some Vista machines have a channel number on the wireless properties. Will it be a problem if you want to move between Access Points. At the moment the security is running on Open and WEP with a simple 64 bit key. That should not slow things down ?

The DLink & LinkSys are due to budget....the Dlinks been the orginals. I want to use them for outdoor areas / bar. The main system will run on the Linksys with same software setup.:ouch:

Agent86
8th Apr 2008, 22:29
Adding my 2 cents..
To use your 8 port hub (and I would recommend using it on any desktops in the same physical location for robustness of connection) you need to chain it thus:

Internet router (actually more a "modem" ..no routing I would guess)
____|
Linksys Router
____|__________ |__ |__ |
Dlink 8 port hub, 3x Linksys AP's
| | | | | | | |_____!__!__!
Desktops______Wireless connections

The Dlink wireless router if connected will need cofiguring as an AP and not a router ..better to go all Linksys AP's as previously selected
The Hub will now issue internal IP addresses from the Linksys Router DHCP server.

Also ..If Linksys is in "Gateway" mode I am not sure what is doing the Routing?? maybe the Dlink wirelss router is getting involved.

What IP address do you get if you stick a desktop into the Internet connection? if it is 192.168.xxx.x or 10.1.x.x then it is a router as well.If it is any other then it is just a modem. 169.x.x.x means the desktop can't find one and has gone to default (that gives you the "limited or no connectivity msg"

flynerd
10th Apr 2008, 03:57
Wireless networks should NEVER be used for database applications. TCP/IP packets can and will get lost. Database will become corrupt.

Stick to wired if ever running a database across your net.

Wireless is fine for internet/email stuff.

HTH.

Bushfiva
10th Apr 2008, 04:57
Wireless networks should NEVER be used for database applications. TCP/IP packets can and will get lost. Database will become corrupt.

Nonsense. The packets will be resent. TCP is Layer 4, IP is Layer 3, the wireless connection is Layer 2, and the application is Layer 5.

In practice, TCP takes care of most issues: it delivers a reliable bit-stream and guarantees that lost/damaged packets are retransmitted, and that packets arrive in order. The application at Layer 5 may also do its own error correction, and Layer 2 may do its own stuff, too.