PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Crew of QF189 YSSY-NZAA 07/04/2008

HardCorePawn
8th Apr 2008, 06:34
You sure did sound a little surprised after making your call at 10nm:

NZAA TWR: "...Be aware you may get a TCAS alert, traffic is a 152 orbiting to the south of the threshold"

QF189: "errrrr can you confirm traffic type"

TWR: "Traffic is a Cessna 152, orbiting to the south of the 05 right threshold"

QF189: "A 152... at night?!?!!? he's brave!"

Not brave mate... bravery is letting computers (and/or instructors) fly your aircraft! :suspect: just a happy (newly night qualified) PPL on his way to a CPL enjoying the nightlife at NZAA... :ok:

And you're not the only one who was disappointed that it was just a low approach and overshoot...

NZAA TWR: Cleared low approach and overshoot, then direct to the city, 1500' or below

Me: "Cleared low approach and overshoot, direct to the city, 1500' or below"

QF189: "awwwww... I wanted to see him land with the crosswind!"

I would have loved to have demonstrated the 17kt crosswind landing ability of the 152 for you... I was even willing to pay the $50 "landing" fee for a T+G... but apparently this is not allowed :{ And with that sort of breeze (140/17), I was actually considering using the 45m long/3635m wide, runway 14... tough approach with the terminal and tower on short final tho... :E

Thanks for making the evening even more memorable... and for putting the CFI in a good mood... he was chuckling all the way home! :p

Also, a big thanks to the Controller at NZAA for letting me have a play in the big boys sandpit... I owe you a drink!

FlareArmed2
8th Apr 2008, 06:37
Finally - a posting that is a joy to read

Ex FSO GRIFFO
8th Apr 2008, 06:51
Sort of reminds me when I was doing the CAGRO job at BRM for a spell,

One Sunday arvo, a nervous- sounding student pilot was being sent on her first solo, which she completed very smoothly.

Several pilots offerred congratulatory calls as she was taxying back in, inc. the parked NationalJet RPT - made her day.

T'was just a nice thing to do 'at the time'.
Nobody got upset at the 'extra R/T' at all.

I made sure she got a copy of her 'Flight Progress Strip' denoting 'First Solo' - just for her logbook / souvenir book. ;)

Wyle E Coyote
8th Apr 2008, 07:40

I quite agree!:ok:

Reminds me of when i was training, got a bit late (and dark!) heading back south to Ardmore, and as I couldn't be bothered taking the long way around I requested to use the Victor lane to the east (I guess it's still there) and got a ,

"Negative, there's a 747 turning final right now.......infact if you look up now, you might just see him"

after looking up and seeing the enormous beast, far closer than I would have liked (I guess they look big from the cockpit of a 172!)

"ahhh, I have him in sight"

"Good! you can follow him through the victor then"

And my instructor didn't even notice I was late. And I had to land with the dome lights on, as some sod had broken the knob off the instrument light switch. Always carried a torch after that day;)......I would have been buggered if the dome light didn't work!

Bundy Bear
8th Apr 2008, 12:44
G'day Hardcore,

You'll have to excuse the QF driver's for not realising that a hero like yourself was behind the wheel.

-JLS-
8th Apr 2008, 13:08
I was actually considering using the 45m long/3635m wide, runway 14Get the old tape measure out to find the centreline!

carbon
8th Apr 2008, 18:09
Quote:
I was actually considering using the 45m long/3635m wide, runway 14
Get the old tape measure out to find the centreline!

Haha, love it! Sounds like 23/05 to me!

Artificial Horizon
8th Apr 2008, 19:18
Reminds me of the time when I was on a corss country solo from Paraparaumu up to Whanganui, like the steely eyed aviator that I am I expertly crabbed my might 152 into wind and at the last minute kicked her straight and put a wing down, before I knew it there was an all mighty crunch which launched me back into the air by around 20 feet, this was followed by a series of ever decreasing bounces from one wheel to the other until I finally came to a stop. Taxying in towards the terminal I was thankful that it was an unmanned tower and no one was there to witness my utter embarrasment. I shut the beast down and climbed out to be greated by a raptuous round of applause from two ANZ link pilots and a trolley dolley:O who where just walking out to their aircraft. I should have said something but instead I hurried away and had a pie.:}:}

Wombat35
8th Apr 2008, 19:44
I would also like to say that AA controllers are great!

I have been allowed to do the same approach in the Citabria (photo's on PPrune somewhere) and regularly thrill the PAX in the DC3 with a trip over the top of the AA tower at 1000'.

They might not realise how much the PAX enjoy seeing an international airport from above :ok:

Good job guys and gals, your helpfulness is appreciated :D:D:D

umop-ap!sdn
9th Apr 2008, 00:50
G'day Hardcore,

You'll have to excuse the QF driver's for not realising that a hero like yourself was behind the wheel.

Haha...... I would have said "you'll have to excuse the QF drivers, we think we're all hero's."

Going Boeing
9th Apr 2008, 02:02
Great post Hard Core - all the best for the rest of your flying career.

umop-ap!sdn
Haha...... I would have said "you'll have to excuse the QF drivers, we think we're all hero's."

Actually, we think we're all lucky - lucky to have a great job travelling and flying some really good aircraft.

RadioSaigon
9th Apr 2008, 02:28

Bloody hell Bundy Bear; lighten-up, take a chill-pill, get a grip on yourself and read the post in the spirit it was offered!!! Certainly no reason that I can see for having a crack at a bloke like that.

fixa24
9th Apr 2008, 02:49
Sort of reminds me when I was doing the CAGRO job at BRM for a spell,

One Sunday arvo, a nervous- sounding student pilot was being sent on her first solo, which she completed very smoothly.

Several pilots offerred congratulatory calls as she was taxying back in, inc. the parked NationalJet RPT - made her day.

T'was just a nice thing to do 'at the time'.
Nobody got upset at the 'extra R/T' at all.

Still happens here mate, There's some nice controllers put here still...:}

Propstop
9th Apr 2008, 03:51
Many years ago I have had the pleasure of flying a C152 from AA and landing back there as well as many transits over the tower at 1000' on the way to the city. It was always much easier from AR to the city over AA rather than use the Victor at 500' due to traffic. I found the controllers very helpful when they were not busy and have also watched a B747 land below me on one transit. Just awesome.:ok:

LocoDriver
9th Apr 2008, 07:24
Gotta have my say on this............
I was the CFI (chief flying instructor in the 152, NOT certified flying instructor) :E
BUT, most of my students think I have been certified by the men in white coats! :E:E (DONT answer that MattyJ!)

I take PPL's doing night endorsements into Auckland for approach and overshoot, so they get famil with Aucklands layout, reporting points etc, and radio work with a real live tower!- IF, they ever get fogged out of ardmore, and need to divert to Auckland, they know what to do.................

We had to orbit late downwind, to allow the Qantas 767 to land, thats when the hilarous comments started!:ok:

It must have been the first time in my life I was speechless!!:E

Mr 767 pilot, we didn't land, 'cause we didnt wont to show you up with a PERFECT 152 crosswind landing(17 knots in a 152 is no big deal, IF it is done correctly)- we saved a $50 landing fee anyway............

It was a quiet nite, the 767 pilot and the friendly efficient lady controller made the flight a total pleasure... hence me not thinking of a suitable comment! The 767 looked great, landing in the dark, as does auckland's several KM of runway.

I also do ATO's into Auckland in lighties, and the controllers are always excellent, and for my night sorties doing training, we time it for the quiet periods, sometimes even going on controlled night VFR cross countries, in a152/172/182 at 1am (NICE and quiet then!) that is also usually good for a laugh from controllers and the night freight lads!

Like to hear from the 767 pilots from that nite, send a PM to myself or thread starter, hopefully you are P Pruners!- like to meet for a coffee sometime!Cheers,

:ok::ok:

cunninglinguist
10th Apr 2008, 00:27

Give him 15-20 years in commercial aviation, he'll be as bitter and twisted as the rest of us :} ;) :E :{ :cool:

Clearedtoreenter
10th Apr 2008, 02:08
$50 for a T & G? - come try that at Sydney! - sounds like geat fun over there.

Flight Detent
10th Apr 2008, 02:35
WEC....

Let me get this straight in my mind....you're going to follow a B747 in a 172,
I seem to remember that wake turbulence is proportional to the generating airplane's weight.
You would need to be about 10nm astern wouldn't you, I would... at least!

Cheers...FD...:eek:

LocoDriver
10th Apr 2008, 03:23
Nope,
we followed a 767 in a 152, well ABOVE said wake turbulence.

Whats a landing fee worth for a 152 in Sydney??? (if you can take a 152 into sydney)

:ok:

Wyle E Coyote
10th Apr 2008, 04:53
Let me get this straight in my mind....you're going to follow a B747 in a 172,
I seem to remember that wake turbulence is proportional to the generating airplane's weight.
You would need to be about 10nm astern wouldn't you, I would... at least!

I didn't really have a choice, he was passing over me as the controller was speaking. Should have been 2-2500ft between us if he was on slope. Never felt a thing, strangely

Got to agree the controllers at AA were pretty good to us:ok:

(I've never beat up the tower either...... and if I had, they never would have encouraged it;))

LocoDriver
10th Apr 2008, 09:18
WoW!
wont go to Sydney for our night sorties then!
Thats expensive.

When I was a young fella in the 1970's, we used to go to AKL for a coffee...usually in a Piper Cub, no landing fees then!

Now, its just under $50, we do approach and overshoot, thats free!

AKL is quite good at letting GA thru the extended centreline, or over the tower, probably Sydney is a tad busier, but AKL can get busy with all the domestic traffic.

We cant complain over here!
I have always found controllers helpful.........

:ok:

Nuthinondaclock
10th Apr 2008, 13:41
HardCorePawn and Locodriver,

If you guys are brave enough to fly that 152 across the pond to Sydney I'd be delighted to pay the landing fee and the coffee's.

Bravo.:D Best post of the year.