PDA

View Full Version : Piston Powered Dash 8 on "Patrol Boat"

GFPT
8th Apr 2008, 04:00
Did anyone else hear the "Piston Powered" Dash 8 appearance on ”Patrol Boat" Ch9 Last night? :ugh:

I had better run and tell my mate who is a Dash 8 CAPT that he is only accumulating piston time,not turbine :E

Stationair8
8th Apr 2008, 04:38
Nothing like being at sea and having the mighty normally aspirated Dash8 overflying your patrol boat.
Would have thought customs would have gone for the turbocharged version to expedite the transit times to the search area.

Sue Ridgepipe
8th Apr 2008, 05:01
Did anyone else hear the "Piston Powered" Dash 8 appearance on ”Patrol Boat" Ch9 Last night?

I'm sure it would look great parked next to the turbine powered Aztec I saw on the Flying Doctors many years ago (can't remember if that was Ch7 or Ch9?).

marty1468
8th Apr 2008, 05:29
Crack another one up for the people who make television programs and have no idea about aviation. How many times have you seen a turbine powered helicopter on tv, only to hear a piston sound similar to the Bell Sioux's in MASH????? :ugh:

Back Seat Driver
8th Apr 2008, 05:35
30 seconds into the video, lays the victim of your challenge.
Sounds very turbo proppy to me.
DH8 (http://seapatrol.ninemsn.com.au/videos.aspx?tab=1)

Channel Nine:- You're still the One.:D

FoxtrotAlpha18
8th Apr 2008, 05:46
BSD - don't be so quick off the mark. Try the Dash's second pass at about 1.12... Otter anyone?

Back Seat Driver
8th Apr 2008, 05:56
No .... that 2nd pass was without a doubt, a DHC4 Caribou. Nothing else sounds like that. At the very least channel 9 got the DHC part correct.
Well picked-up FA18. I tips my lid.
and Apologies to you too GFPT, I should have watched all of it.:ok:
ps. checkout the cameramans offsider (off screen) fending the tinnie off with an oar @ 1.57

atminimums
8th Apr 2008, 06:37
ps. checkout the cameramans offsider (off screen) fending the tinnie off with an oar @ 1.57

Well spotted, BSD. You would think the skilled editors would have picked that up... oh wait. :ugh:

Zhaadum
8th Apr 2008, 09:50
:yuk: What a pathetic show. Everyone is too busy rooting everyone else on the boat. Like Neighbors at sea. I hope the Navy isnt really like that, oh wait it is! (ducks...) :ooh:

G-ZUZZ
8th Apr 2008, 14:25
no one would watch the show if there wasn't any rooting going on.

just be glad it's between men and women.

obviously that won't last forever; I'm sure next year will feature a "gritty, cutting-edge" gay navy love scene...... :yuk: Jesus...:rolleyes:

"Aaaaarrghhh, it be YOUR turn in the barrell today, Leading Seaman Staynes!! Head first, there's a good lad!"

Capt Claret
8th Apr 2008, 21:24
TV shows seem to have a penchant for turbine sound effects for piston engined aeroplanes, and vice versa.

Years ago, watching the Flying Doc, I nearly fell off the couch, when MSF (?) was cleared to FL500 ex Bankstown! :D

tinpis
8th Apr 2008, 22:03
C'mon its Boganwood TV at its worst
surprised anyone would admit turning it on

GFPT
8th Apr 2008, 22:54
Very True Tinny, but it does mean I don't have to watch the " Fattest Loser " or " I can't Dance " :yuk::yuk::yuk:

atminimums
9th Apr 2008, 00:29
Very True Tinny, but it does mean I don't have to watch the " Fattest Loser " or " I can't Dance " :yuk::yuk::yuk:

good point.. Its no longer about finding the best shows, but trying to avoid the ****e ones. :ok:

kingtoad
9th Apr 2008, 23:21
Crickey! I'd fall off the couch too with Mike Sierra Famous being cleared to FL500.

That 2nd Dash 8 sound in the clip is definitely Caribou-esq.

Big Sky aviation (on channel 10) used to crack me up too. Ab-initio training in Chieftains etc...

Missus Toad (who is a nurse) cracks up at the likes of All-Sinners, so such in-accuracies occur across the board.

... so much cr@p on TV these days - even on ABC(1) and Sex Between Soccer.

aileron_69
10th Apr 2008, 04:45
My personal favourite with aircraft sounds on TV and movies is when helicopters power up as they rise into the air!!

Desert Flower
10th Apr 2008, 05:33
Years ago, watching the Flying Doc, I nearly fell off the couch, when MSF (?) was cleared to FL500 ex Bankstown!

Same here when watching an episode of the Flying Docs many years ago. They had just got back to base in the Slomad oops sorry Nomad after stooging around in a bushfire. Pilot chucked the refueller the keys as he walked away, with the instructions to "Fill it up & check the engines for ash ingestion!"

DF.

Davidius
1st May 2008, 12:15
"Sorry, this video is unavailable" Is what i got when i tried to play the video! I was really looking forward to viewing this masterful piece of Australian drama. :{