PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest way to JAA single engine IR?

moona
7th Apr 2008, 20:14
Im looking to find the cheapest route to a JAA SE-IR, cheapest I can currently find is aerofan which is about 8000 euros all in including test fees aircraft hire for test etc.

Anywhere else I should be looking. Has anyone been down the route of converting an FAA IR to a JAA SE-IR, how did this compare cost wise?

JUST-local
7th Apr 2008, 22:53
Have you had a price from Malaga? I'm sure they will be cheaper!

Aerofan in Madrid is OK but the weather (cross winds, morning mist etc.) in Madrid causes delays! All the training is done in the aircrft as they have no approved sim, there are very few useful aids/beacons and the airspace is not conducive to IR training!

At Aerodynamics you can do most of the training in the sim so have less weather problems and less hassle.
It all depends how you get on with the sim and how much time you have spare to do the training. If it really is a cost thing time costs money so I would go for the sim option!

JL.

LH2
8th Apr 2008, 16:52
What JUST-local says. My vote also goes to Aerodynamics on grounds of safety (Cuatro Vientos is downright dangerous), professionalism, and cost. Plus Malaga is much nicer compared to Madrid :)

I've been to both, btw.

Shunter
8th Apr 2008, 17:41
He did say single-engined though. Aerodynamics don't list that as an option, whereas Aerofan do. In fact most places that do IR's, that use sims, use twin-engined sims.

I'll also be in the market for a single-engined IR (probably FAA conversion) shortly, so also quite interested in any decent prices (although the current exchange rate isn't so good).

LH2
8th Apr 2008, 18:17
He did say single-engined though. Aerodynamics don't list that as an option

Hmm... I was under the impression that they did SE-IR as well, as they also have a fully equipped single-engine sim, but on reviewing the literature I have, only ME is mentioned. Still, nothing that can't be cleared up with a quick phone call.

btw, can I be curious and ask why (both of) you are going for a SE-IR?

moona
8th Apr 2008, 19:27
Dropping Aerodynamics and email now with regards to a SE-IR?

My reasons for investigating this path is simply the fact that I cant afford to do the full ME-IR and the moment. With the financial outlook what it currently is im going to pay for each module as and when I can afford it rather than resorting to finance.

Ive been discussing another option in the Instructors forum about topping up the 10 hours instruments from the cpl to an IMCR. This would then give me 3 years to complete MEP, ME-IR while hopefully opening up a bit more winter flying.

The problem i've found with the SE-IR, like shunter mentions most companys offering the SE-IR look like they do the training all on the aircraft which increases costs significantly. Im still looking though.

While on the subject ,I know its possible to receive instruction for the IMCR on your own aircraft (TB9), is this also true for the SE-IR?

LH2
8th Apr 2008, 20:06
Hmm... At €13000 (plus €2000 for expenses) for an MEIR with Aerodynamics, I'm not sure it wouldn't be a bit of a false economy to do SEIR first, only to upgrade to MEIR at a latter date.

Another hint, FWIW, by doing the IR first in Spain (i.e., cheaper) then doing your CPL back in the UK you will save a significant amount of money, as you don't need to do the instrument flying part of the CPL (so only 15 hours required), and you can do it on a single. Overall, you MEIR+CPL should not cost above €20,000 inclusive of living expenses. I know the Euro is quite high these days (if you earn your bread in Sterling), but there you go, just some food for thought.

Shunter
8th Apr 2008, 20:20
Personally I have no plans to get an airline job. It took me many, many years to get a colour-vision restriction removed from my medical, and times have changed. I can no longer feasibly afford to take the pay-cut that a FO job would entail and still pay my mortgage.

I do however have my own (SEP) aircraft, plenty of instrument time, and am in the process or getting the IR for Class A access and international touring. I will probably do the 15hr conversion as opposed to starting from scratch within a regulatory framework which says my instrument time counts for nothing.

The IR can be completed on your own aircraft providing you get it approved. This essentially means getting some screens made up. Despite the cost savings of using one's own aircraft, the instructor hire costs in the UK are astronomical, hence the Spain connection...

LH2
8th Apr 2008, 20:31
I do however have my own (SEP) aircraft, plenty of instrument time, and am in the process or getting the IR

Interesting circumstances. If the bigger FTOs don't show too much enthusiasm for training you on your own aircraft, feel free to drop me a PM and I can give you the details of someone in Spain who most likely will be pleased to take your business.