PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank component environmental tolerances

airbus eng
7th Apr 2008, 16:04
Hi,

Would anyone with relevant fuel system experience be able to give me typical limits for a component (e.g pump,valve) located within a fuel tank? Im looking for temperature range, vibration tolerance, pressure tolerance and acceleration tolerances.

Even a rough (but reasoned) guide would be useful.

JSaeroengineer
9th Apr 2008, 20:11
80 views and no replies?
Come on ppruners!

411A
9th Apr 2008, 21:19
This area of design is rather critically important....be patient, I'm sure it will be answered in due course.

Techman5
10th Apr 2008, 07:14
This is from memory from a few years ago, and so may be wrong.

The fuel system I worked on was tested +/-60 Centrigrade. This applied to all components, those in the tank and those in the hull. Every unit shipped was tested, not just one test on the type. I think that testing was also done at 40,000 feet and ground level.

Can't remember the vibration testing, (possibly +/-8g) although I am sure this was performed on one unit that was then scrapped, and not on each shipped unit.

EMC susceptibility was also performed on one unit that was then scrapped.

These conditions would have been in the spec from Boeing/Airbus.

Hope this helps.

airbus eng
10th Apr 2008, 22:26
Thanks Techman5

Those figures are pretty much what i had in mind. Just wondered if there was any 'official' airworthiness requirements that were applicable.

Techman5
11th Apr 2008, 06:48
That would come from the airframe manufacturer. I doubt if FAA/JAA even have a position on this.

While there will be standard conditions for equipment in the cockpit or EE bay, the vibrations in a wing tank, where some probes are likely to be right above the engines, will need to come from Airbus or Boeing.