PDA

View Full Version : Win Xp start-up sequence

BOAC
7th Apr 2008, 07:28
Watching the systray 'load up' during boot, it would APPEAR that the router connection is established a few seconds before the firwewall (Zone Alarm) and AVG are 'there'. Is there a time setting which enables me to automatically delay the RJ45 network connection for a few seconds to make it the 'last' service to start?

PPRuNeUser0171
7th Apr 2008, 09:15
You could script something to disable your NIC until the zonealarm starts.

If you Router is connecting to the net via NAT then it's not really an issue.

The Nr Fairy
7th Apr 2008, 09:25
First, is it causing you a problem ?

Second, check Startup Delayer (http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&show=startdelay).

BOAC
7th Apr 2008, 10:52
No problems as far as I know, but nothing wrong with paranoia:), plus I, along with many others, seem to have picked up a Trojan via a Java update (Trojan Generic_c.IKY). All safely tucked away now.

WSG - yes, through a NAT router.

Thanks for replies and thinking about script/programme linked.

The Nr Fairy
7th Apr 2008, 11:55
To be honest, the fact that AVG and ZoneAlarm start "after" the NIC shouldn't really be an issue.

They depend on the network service provided by the NIC, so if the NIC's not running, they'll eventually give up trying to monitor traffic (ZoneAlarm) or get updates (only real reason AVG needs to use the Internet), and retry on a regular basis.

And where did you get the Java update from ? Sun, or was it an update for a Java-based program ?

al446
7th Apr 2008, 15:34
No need to worry, the icons appear after the service has been started, prog running but no icon yet on screen. OS loads all startup progs then does the GUI thing. DONT PANIC.

BOAC
7th Apr 2008, 17:03
OK - sleeping sounder now!

Not sure about the Java update - there was an 'official' one but I have played the 'weewilliewalsh' game - well, you have to......

Looking on Google, there is a suggestion it came from an 'official 'Java update.

Tarq57
8th Apr 2008, 00:54
I'm strongly inclined to believe the Trojan Generic_c.IKY is a false positive. (Detect by AVG was it?) It (So far that I've seen) has only been found in the Java cache, which if you don't need, can be cleared periodically without ill effects, which implies it's not a real trojan. Plus, anything with "generic" in the title basically means "a bit like this, but no accurate file match", a mechaninsm AV's use to try and catch polmorphic or variants of the same virus/malware family. FP's more likely.
Don't know about ZA, but my firewall behaves as posted by al446. There is information to that effect on the forum. (Yes, I'd asked the same question.)

BOAC
8th Apr 2008, 07:07
Yes, Tarq- I agree with your diagnosis, and it was AVG. That was not the trigger for my enquiry, but just an 'add-on'. I cleaned the cache a while back. I'm slightly surprised that nothing has come from Sun on this.

Whilst on the subject of Java I discovered (through the Google search on the 'Trojan') that Java updates do not remove previous versions and if anyone else is 'unknowing' they can remove the previous via 'add/remove'.