PDA

View Full Version : Qantas approved English course

Ted Nugent
7th Apr 2008, 01:38
Over the next few months I am hoping to complete and submit my first Qantas application, at this stage I still fall short on the year 12 English component, hopefully someone out there could shed some light on one of the following Qantas approved English courses.

Open learning institute, TAFE QLD

Charles Darwin University

Both courses are run via correspondence. I am after any info from people who have completed one of these courses before, how long to complete, work load etc. I have used the search function without any success on the topic.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated, PM me if you like.

Cheers Ted

marty1468
7th Apr 2008, 02:54
Hi Ted,
I would be interested to know also. Maths too.

Marty

Ted Nugent
7th Apr 2008, 03:21
Marty, check your PM’s!

ABX
7th Apr 2008, 03:33
I have just completed the Charles Darwin Uni English. Found it to be a well put together course, easy to understand, plenty of learning support and about 10 hours per week study load.

My lecturer was Kerin Bolton, she is awesome and I discovered that there is no limit to the time she will commit to helping her students understand and pass the subject.

CDU send you a printed study guide in the mail and then you follow the course via the internet. I worked pretty well for me.

ABX:ok:

ABX
7th Apr 2008, 03:36
Marty, same goes for CDU maths (which I am doing now) the course is pretty good, although for me the work load is a little higher because I have a weaker back ground in maths.

BTW, happy birthday for last week!:}

marty1468
7th Apr 2008, 03:48
Cool thanx for that ABX. Cheers for the b'day also hehe. Turning the big Four Oh was a little scary haha

BTW, what time frame (ie: how many weeks/months) did your course take?

Ted Nugent
7th Apr 2008, 04:43
ABX
Thanks mate, just the type of feedback I’m after! :ok:

Stationair8
7th Apr 2008, 08:19
How long does it take to do the courses at CDU?
10 hours a week for six months or longer?

ABX
7th Apr 2008, 09:06
Marty & Stationair,

Each subject takes about 10 hours per week and runs for between 12 and 16 weeks depending on which semester you choose.

I am doing the whole year 12 (Tertiary Enabling Program - TEP) course which involves four subjects (you have to choose from a list of the year 12 equivalent subjects) done over three semesters. You have up to a whole calendar year to get your TEP done, but you must finish each subject within the semester that you enrolled in. If you have the time and mental resources you can do the whole lot in a single semester, but that would be at least 40 hours per week.

You can also do extra subjects in addition to your basic four. I chose to do a basic maths course (Qualifying Mathematics) during my first semester to bring me back up to date with the maths - it is 20 years since I finished year 11 and left school!

George Lambrinidis is the course coordinator there, give the uni a call and talk to him, he is a good bloke and help me a fair bit.

ABX
7th Apr 2008, 09:11
Ted,

ABX. Thanks mate, just the type of feedback I’m after!

No worries mate. A fella here by the name of aircabbie got me on to the course a year ago, I figure I'll pass on the favour to someone else now. Comes around and goes around eh?

Cheers!

Ps. Thanks Cabster!:ok: