PDA

View Full Version : QANTAS Cadet Program (ab initio)

janecav
6th Apr 2008, 22:50
Has anyone out there who has been accepted into the QANTAS ab initio Cadet program been in this situation?

I passed all the skills, psychometric, medical testing for the ab inition cadet program in January 2008.

I then had an interview which went well - the interviewers even said at the end of the interview "Very good timing on your application - we are recruiting a lot of pilots at the moment".

Then i got a rejection letter. I found out that i was rejected based on lack of flying experience.

I am currently getting to GFPT level before applications open for 2009.

Has anyone been in this situation then been accepted into the program later on?

ACMS
7th Apr 2008, 04:14
This question should be moved to the D&G General Aviation and Questions

I believe this subject has been asked there before?

If not there is other info about QF recruitment there.

Wizofoz
7th Apr 2008, 04:59
The Qantas cadet program is extremely competitive with thousands of applicants trying for small number of positions.

Don't be disheartened, MANY have been rejected first up before going on to stellar flying careers.

Hang on in there!

max autobrakes
7th Apr 2008, 05:21
Wiz
Should not your statement read,

"The Qantas cadet program is extremely competitive with DOZENS of applicants trying for small number of positions."

Don't be disheartened, MANY have been rejected first up before going on to stellar flying careers AT VIRGIN.:eek:

janecav
8th Apr 2008, 02:27
Thanks ACMS,
I found some interesting info in the D&G General Aviation and Questions.
I would be interesting to have a reply from any current or past ab initio QANTAS cadets that have been in my situation before.
janecav

Keg
8th Apr 2008, 04:42
Are you sure that it wasn't an administrative stuff up and you were rejected because they thought you were going for the CPL cadetship and therefore you didn't have enough experience?

Further, most reports on PPRUNE indicate that QF don't actually tell you why you didn't get in. Was there something specific in the letter that led you to believe it was lack of flying experience or did you call them and ask?

If they have informed you that it was lack of flying experience then I reckon it's not unreasonable to ask:
1. whether or not they were considering you for ab initio or the CPL course,
2. What flying experience is required for an ab-initio course.

Either way, if QF has made up their mind about you then don't be disheartened. There are many who have been knocked back for the QF cadetship and who have subsequently gone on to very successful careers in Qantas a few years down the track.

janecav
8th Apr 2008, 05:52
Hey Keg,
Thanks for the reply.
Yep, they knew my application was for ab initio.
They don't give feedback to applicants, but I managed to get an indication of why I was unsuccessful while on the phone to them about something else. In a direct email question to them about how much experience is needed, they couldn't directly say, though I have deducted that I need SOME more experience to be considered.