PDA

View Full Version : Sony DVD/HD Recorder

frostbite
6th Apr 2008, 19:52
Becoming less enchanted with this piece of kit every day!

Still haven't got it to record from video recorder or camera (stripey image on TV screen is best so far), and now I discover that the DVDs it has recorded can't be recognised by anything on the PC.

Tried Power Desk & Explorer to try and list the files, but nothing shows. Any ideas?

terrain safe
6th Apr 2008, 21:57
Have you finalised them? You need to do this to make them readable to other machines.

Blues&twos
6th Apr 2008, 22:23
Strangely, did my own first DVD recording from HD this afternoon. Also forgot to finalise the DVD and as a consequence couldn't get my PC to recognise any data.

Perfectly watchable afterwards though....

frostbite
7th Apr 2008, 11:43
Thanks for the idea - I will have a look in the ghastly owner's manual to see if it's mentioned. (manual being ghastly, that is)

rogerg
7th Apr 2008, 14:19
If you are dvd RW it automatically finalises on ejection.Not so with R only disc

frostbite
7th Apr 2008, 14:27
Not got a chance to look at the book yet but I always thought it was only Cds & DVDs of the R/W variety that actually required finalising.

Used a DVD-R in this case.

rogerg
7th Apr 2008, 17:23
Maybe I got it wrong, however it is in the book. Will have a look when I get home.

The Flying Pram
7th Apr 2008, 17:29
Surprised it doesn't prompt you to finalise when you press the "Eject" button. My Panasonic does.

frostbite
7th Apr 2008, 19:50
You have it right, Roger!

Still the opposite of what I understood, but found an obscure sub-menu where finalising can be set to auto or manual, my machine being set to the latter.

Finalised the disk and PC can now read it.

Thanks all.