PDA

View Full Version : RAAF to trade Boeing for Blunderbus

G-ZUZZ
6th Apr 2008, 19:42
THE Government is likely to upgrade the RAAF jets used for VIP travel after the two 737s leased by the Howard government proved to be inadequate.

As well as representations by media organisations last year following the Garuda plane crash in Indonesia, the Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, is being urged by those at the most senior levels in the defence forces to upgrade the fleet.

They are pushing him to lease two Airbus A-330s, the same as those being brought into service by the RAAF to use as refuellers and for transporting troops overseas and back.

The lease on the 737s expires in 2014, but there is a provision to turn them over next year.

John Howard settled on the 737s despite arguments that they would be too small to take the media and even all his staff.

The planes are ill suited for long flights. Those still steaming over the decision, including high-ranking military officials, blame Mr Howard's former chief of staff, Max Moore-Wilton.

The lads are racking up more endorsements than a ruddy airline pilot.

Skystar320
6th Apr 2008, 23:51
ehhh windup!

Buster Hyman
7th Apr 2008, 00:51
Well, you can't blame Howard for getting a small jet. The media, who didn't much like him anyway, can pay their own way IMHO.

But, bring on Rudd Force One...there should be adequate room for his wife's closet and the adoring media!:rolleyes:

;)

RedTBar
7th Apr 2008, 01:22
But, bring on Rudd Force One...there should be adequate room for his wife's closet and the adoring media!

I think you've got a case of convenient memory loss there Buster.

Didn't Johnny take Janette everywhere he went and even wanted them to drop both of them off in Broome for a weeks holiday and then come back to pick them up when they got too sunburnt.

Kev could always help Dixon out and buy a 747-300 but only if he could put up with the fault list being longer than the number of work choice pamphlets that Johnny had printed.

Skystar320
7th Apr 2008, 01:23
Just leave the media at home, they dont do any good anyway!

Fliegenmong
7th Apr 2008, 01:37
"Didn't Johnny take Janette everywhere he went and even wanted them to drop both of them off in Broome for a weeks holiday and then come back to pick them up when they got too sunburnt."

..........then there was the question of the cost of the refurbishments made by the previous gummint (at the expense of range?):rolleyes::8............somewhere out there someone with more time and motivation will find the articles.......

drshmoo
7th Apr 2008, 01:51
I reckon I could fit them all in VH-RAS the mightest of the C207s

Buster Hyman
7th Apr 2008, 02:28
Trying to be topical RTB, seeing the media are all over her wardrobe, hence all the smileys btw...dear oh dear :rolleyes: some people hold on tightly dont they?

westausatc
7th Apr 2008, 03:20
I know that CB airport just lengthened its runway but is a fully loaded/fuelled A330 going to be able to depart? If not, any idea how long its legs will be?

Roger Standby
7th Apr 2008, 04:40
CB now big enough for Air Force 1 isn't it? Shouldn't be a prob for the A330 if that's the case.

ShockWave
7th Apr 2008, 04:49
I would think that in a vip config an A330 would not be anywhere near fully loaded for their operations, even with full tanks. They should be able to go direct to anywhere in the Asia region even Honolulu.

Capt Kremin
7th Apr 2008, 05:12
If they get a couple of -200's in VIP fit then almost anywhere in the world direct would be possible. Qantas flew -EBB Toulouse-Mel direct without a working trim tank. If that had been working then the guys reckon they could have gone on to AKL!

Wingspar
7th Apr 2008, 05:16
A tip from Qantas to the RAAF........

Have a close look at the options list when ordering!

David Eyre
7th Apr 2008, 05:56
The Airbus KC-30B (A330-200) tanker transports ordered by the RAAF have passenger cabins. They are built as standard aircraft in Toulouse, and then flown to EADS Military at Getafe, near Madrid to have refuelling pods and boom added. They do not have the strengthened cabin cargo floor which the dedicated A330-200F freighter version will have.

An Airbus press release issued at the time of the first aircraft being delivered to Madrid for conversion stated that their main deck is configured with 272 passenger seats, in a mixed business/economy class layout.

Here's a photo taken in mid-2006 of the inside of the first RAAF KC-30B being inspected by a member of the ADF at EADS Military facility near Madrid:
http://www.northropgrumman.com/kc45/media_center/kc30tanker_assets/photos/hi/roll_in_photo2.jpg

The KC-30Bs could easily be used by the PM on overseas visits on an as-needed basis (subject to availability), so there's no need to acquire VIP-configured A330s specifically for the PM. I'm sure the RAAF would appreciate a larger KC-30B fleet than what has been ordered, to give them the flexibility to provide VIP services when required.

Regards,
David

Qantas 787
7th Apr 2008, 10:08
Forget about the media - why should they be carried along because of the Garuda accident? The PM and his staff are probably happy to get away from them.

Angle of Attack
7th Apr 2008, 12:42
Regardless I reckon an A330 is a much better option over a 737, the range and payload $hits all over the 737,, I mean how annoying would it be for the number of stops for a round world tour like now in a 737? damn... I mean lets go for boeing but a 737 for a country as Australia? Come on maybe for a European country but in the end we need a long range transport not a regional aircraft!
:ugh: Leftovers from an idiotic ex government thats what this is....

WannaBeBiggles
7th Apr 2008, 12:54
Regardless I reckon an A330 is a much better option over a 737, the range and payload $hits all over the 737,, I mean how annoying would it be for the number of stops for a round world tour like now in a 737? damn... I mean lets go for boeing but a 737 for a country as Australia? Come on maybe for a European country but in the end we need a long range transport not a regional aircraft!

Whats wrong with a 737? It can get in to fields the A330 can't, Australia doesn't have the luxury of having massive runways all over the country like the US and Europe...

Some of the configuration options might have been questionable... however as a type it serves well. (just not to it's full potential)

Keg
7th Apr 2008, 14:44
When the decision was made to source the 737s- after the 707s were obviously too tired- the press widely criticised the PM for the decision. Either it was too decadent or they couldn't travel. Either way the PM was canned for it.

Then he was canned for the fit out- particularly due to the 'drab' interior- although I've spoken often with the CDRALG at the time about the fuel tank debacle. That wasn't the RAAF's call- or at least not his!

Taildragger67
7th Apr 2008, 14:49
Re the hacks, what difference does it make?

My recollection from the 707 days was that you'd have the Big Kahuna & entourage up front, and the hacks in back. They (ie. their employers) were all charged the equivalent of a full economy fare for the route being flown. Some were less than happy with this as Air Ronnie didn't give out FFP miles and the IFE wasn't really up to scratch (ie. nil). Hence more and more hacks going commercial (which had the added advantage of flight flexibility and being able to get there before the PM's flight and cover the arrival). A few 'senior' journos continued to travel on the PM's flight to potentially get some scoop in-flight.

Or is that recollection wrong?

In any case, shouldn't a BBJ with half in VIP config have pretty long legs?

TLAW
7th Apr 2008, 14:51
I reckon I could fit them all in VH-RAS the mightest of the C207s

I reckon a Cessna 209 might be the way to go :ok:

FoxtrotAlpha18
7th Apr 2008, 22:11

The RAAF's 737s aren't standard 737-700s, they're BBJs with the lighter -700 fuselage combined with the -800 wing, undercarriage and a long range tank in the hold. They can easily cover 90% of the missions an A332 can, and can land at a hell of alot more airfields.

The RAAF still has a couple of options for KC-30s which it needs to convert by the end of the year - why not spec one with a VIP interior which can be changed our for regular pax seats if required?

Flyingblind
7th Apr 2008, 22:33
Makes sense to me, put another quick change KC-30 on the end of this current list and be done with it, as noted previously i'm sure the RAAF would be happy with that.

And for the short to medium hops perhaps a dry leased G650 would be the go, may even turn out cheaper than the current situation.

Like to see how the Kevinator would feel without the services of a dedicated VIP fleet (hardware), if he felt that it would be OK and in line with the upcoming horror budget, all the infrastructure presently sitting at Fairbairn (and the very exspenseive rent) could then perform the functions of a Government VIP FBO.

Makes sense to me, in fact i beleive there allready is a precedent for this from our Kiwi cousins.....correct?