PDA

View Full Version : Who has been in my bag!?!?!?!

AirSic
6th Apr 2008, 13:52
The other day I had the fortune of being able to return to OZ, having watched one of the most amazing airshows at Wanaka.

It wasn't until last night that I actually put the pieces together but picture this.....

I travelled from Christchurch to Auckland (international travel). Auckland to Perth without having to worry about my suitcase until arrival at Perth.

I got home and the great wife started to unpack the washables. The next day she mentions to me that I must have been cold to have to buy a black beanie.

I don't own a black beanie and nor did I buy one!

Strange I thought, must have picked that up accidentally somewhere across the week I was away.

2 days later, I couldn't find the phone charger! The wife swore that she didn't see it in the case....aahhhh must be with the laptop.....No.

3 days after that, where is the brand new battery charger and rechargeable batteries I took? No where to be found, again wife denies all knowledge......BINGO 1+1 = Who the F$%k went thorugh my bag and inadvertantly dropped their beaine in the suitcase while pinching my stuff and didn't notice, securing it up again as if nothing happened!!!!???!!:*:*:*

What action does one recommend?

ABX
6th Apr 2008, 14:22
Have had stuff taken from my suitcase too (locked Samsonite:yuk:) that I didn't notice until later.

I'm no expert and don't know exactly who to contact, however as a good starting point I would file a complaint with the airline and the airport(s) involved. These might not be the right people to complain to, but they may apply pressure to the bad guys anyway.

Also, make a claim on your travel insurance, that is what it is for!

ules
6th Apr 2008, 14:25
i feel your sympathy !
hmm i had a similar story last year june when i was traveling from MXP to YSSY via dubai with emirates had a 9hr stop there.
when i got my bag from the intl terminal in syd not till i got home i noticed my 3 number padlock was broken i was missing one of my favourite button up shirts in my bag and i found one of them paint marking pens in it
Strange customs must of went thru my bag in dubai, (the shopping capital of the world!!) i had travel insurance, but to claim fee was 150$ which is more than what it was worth !!
:ugh:

G-ZUZZ
6th Apr 2008, 17:31
to claim fee was 150$ which is more than what it was worth !

why don't you claim all the "other shirts" and bits and pieces which were also stolen. Silly!

What action does one recommend?

why don't you take the greasey baggage-snatcher's beanie to the cops and have them test it for the DNA which is no doubt lurking inside it. Carry it to the cop shop on the end of a stick.

did you find the remnants of where the culprit got his long, thick, BLACK, beard caught in your bag as he shut it???

AirSic
7th Apr 2008, 03:35
I had considered taking the beanie to the Feds here. The wife washed it thinking it was mine, but there may be some traces left I suppose.

Will give the feds a call.

Cheers:ok:

The Voice
7th Apr 2008, 04:18
DNA is only useful if the person to whom it belongs has already given a sample and it's recorded on a database already!

And water is its enemy ...

ules
7th Apr 2008, 06:06
Quote:
to claim fee was 150$ which is more than what it was worth !
why don't you claim all the "other shirts" and bits and pieces which were also stolen. Silly!

:O:O because im an honest guy !

DNA is only useful if the person to whom it belongs has already given a sample and it's recorded on a database already!

And water is its enemy ...

im sure miami CSI can solve it :E

G-ZUZZ
7th Apr 2008, 06:10
Have the kiwicops test the DNA of everyone who was at the Wanka Warbirds Airshow for a match. They usually don't have much else to do.

Skystar320
7th Apr 2008, 07:03
locked Samsonite

That's the only way to go. When you carry documents / files around about aviation / airlines you do not want anything to go in the wrong hands

Been there before, bag got nicked only to turn around to see the little **** making a run for it.

I got my bag back though!

VH-XXX
7th Apr 2008, 10:47
Mine was pilfered on route JFK to YMML. Qantas / AA paid up along with the insurance company. Seems that a 3+ hour wait between segments is too much temptation for the low-paid baggage workers OS or something.

Capt Wally
7th Apr 2008, 10:54
I've personally seen numerous lost/stollen bags/ cases etc. stored in a room just waiting to be pilfered, & to think that the general public think their bags are safe! One has to wonder how many 'sniffers' are out there too:pThe trick is not to pack anything of real value

CW

Defenestrator
7th Apr 2008, 10:59
A Samsonite bag with key and combination locks won't stop anybody. It's merely a deterrent. Lost count of the number of times the TSA have been through my stuff without my knowledge with the afore mentioned bag. They just 'jimmy' the locks. Like someone else said just pack nothing of specific high value.

D:suspect:

world traveler
7th Apr 2008, 11:51
You will also find that many travel insurance policies will not give you baggage cover on the homebound leg. So, when you take out insurance next time double check the policy, as it is a real downer when you get home and the cool stuff that you have bought, borrowed or stolen has been removed, or worse your bag has been simply lost in that magical land of the bag chucker, never to be seen again...

Charlie Hotel Xray
7th Apr 2008, 13:45
I use Samsonite too, however I am starting wonder why. In the US they give you notice that if your bags are locked in such a way as to make them inaccessible then the TSA will not be liable for damage caused by them forcing something to gain access to your $400 Samsonite.

Also in the States, they put a little notice inside my bags saying that it was opened and inspected for security purposes. Funny, the only thing they took was a bottle of grog!

CHX

Shed Dog Tosser
7th Apr 2008, 14:02
Have had a few expensive items nicked from checked baggage flying in and out of regional airports ( mainly Wagga ), surely the little airports also have appropriate measures inplace.

Sad really, it was once a lovely place.

Keg
7th Apr 2008, 14:41
TSA will always leave a note letting you know that they've gone into your bag.

The example provided by Airsic does indicate how important it is to stress to customs that whilst 'yes, that may be my bag', that any number of people have access to it along the way and the fact that it's been out of my sight and control for a long period of times means that I'm not going to be held responsible for whatever is in it.

Taildragger67
7th Apr 2008, 15:17
If you use a bag with a zipper, go to your local hardware shop and buy a bunch of cable ties - the small-bore numbers. Then slip one through any loops on your zips. If you're not using a zippered bag, then a short length of strong tape (eg. duck/gaffer), whose adhesive is strong enough that it stretches as you try to pull it off (so that any attempt is clear) can do the same job.

Then the only way in, will be visible - cutting the bag, breaking the cable tie/tape, or breaking the zip strip itself - all of which are clearly visible to you, as soon as you get it off the belt. So it won't be a case of "three days later, I couldn't find my... ".

Then go straight to the baggage services desk and raise merry hell. I would think that pointing out that you will have no option but to report to the Feds the incidence of criminal damage, possible theft and potential for drug trafficking going on at XYZ airport by ABC airline staff, might prompt a bit of action as well.

Making your scene before leaving the baggage hall puts you in a far stronger position than trying it on a few days later.

You're trying to make it clear:
a) that you'll see any attempt at entry (to deter such attempts), and
b) to you if there has been an attempt.

One more thing - ALWAYS look at what the weight of your bag is on their scale at check-in and get the check-in agent to enter it into their system so that it shows on the bag check they give you. Hence you have a defence if it mysteriously gains weight in transit...

Jabawocky
7th Apr 2008, 21:55
I use the zip tie method as detailed above, and with a system that I can tell if the tie has been replaced by an identical one.......they have to be good to crack my code.....if in fact they knew one was there!

I am prepared to declare it "not my bag" if tampered with and when and only when the AFP/Aust embassy rep/ etc etc are present will I hand it over to customs declaring that its been tampered with, proving it, and anything found either added or missing is not my doing.

I would only have one name tag on/in my bag....if it was an asian port like Bali, I would rip the tag off and leave it unclaimed.....then get the **** out of there. Don't trust anybody in those places, least of all their justice system!:eek:

J:ok: