PDA

View Full Version : Laser pointer restrictions confirmed

WannaBeBiggles
6th Apr 2008, 01:21
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/04/06/2209049.htm

The Federal Government has confirmed it will restrict the importation of laser pointers after a high-level meeting was held in Canberra to discuss a recent spate of laser attacks on planes.
State and federal politicians met with police and customs officials on Friday to discuss the problem and have now come up with a five-point plan to try to combat it.
Home Affairs Minister Bob Debus says the restriction on importing lasers will operate in the same way as the existing controls on guns and weapons, with exemptions for those who have a legitimate use for the items.

About time!

Jabawocky
6th Apr 2008, 01:51
And those already in the hands of folk who really do not have a legitimate use?:confused:

J

sms777
6th Apr 2008, 02:50
And the four pages totalling over 200 up for grabs on Ebay!:confused:

Islander Jock
6th Apr 2008, 03:04
Looks like it's back to the long pointing stick for those powerpoint and other presentations.:ugh:

PPRuNeUser0163
6th Apr 2008, 03:55
True to what everyones said.
Further to that, I think a.) the consequences need to be increased, not some measly 6 months jail which some people probably arent scared of or intimidated about + b.) enforcement needs to be increased, ie police control streets at night and follow some bus services under danger in certain suburbs so why cant one unit at least be dispatched to watch airport, catch these criminals.
Govt needs to encourage people to report if they see people pointing lasers too.
Regards,
Matt

ReadMyACARS
6th Apr 2008, 04:58
For all the restrictions and penalties, does anyone know of a succesful apprehension or conviction of a person pointing a laser at a plane?

You can have all the restrictions and penalties in the world but they are all pretty useless unless they can be practically enforced.

Jay Arr
6th Apr 2008, 05:45
If these things are so dangerous when directed towards blokes ~5000' high, how come they're even permitted in astronomy/engineering/classroom applications, where the risk of someone copping one in the eye must be higher? Surely the risk of eye damage to someone on the ground has already been assessed and found to be minimal/non-existent? Otherwise they would have been banned ages ago.

Which makes me think the whole thing is yet another beat-up. That these things are a DISTRACTION for us, but not actually dangerous. And yes, I have been lasered whilst flying. On the RIVET arrival into SYD. We were alarmed of course and called it in, but is it really dangerous? I'm not convinced.

I'm starting to think this laser stuff fits into the LAGs category - we don't know, there MIGHT be a risk, so let's ban 'em. Got to be seen to be doing something!

Also, for what it's worth, I don't believe they are talking about banning classroom pointers, only the bigger, more "industrial" ones. I don't think long wooden sticks will be needed in school again, except to spank naughty kids (oh, that's right, that's banned too!).

Islander Jock
6th Apr 2008, 07:11
Also, for what it's worth, I don't believe they are talking about banning classroom pointers, only the bigger, more "industrial" onesThanks for clarifying Jay Arr

Capt Wally
6th Apr 2008, 08:23
before we go banning the 'instrument' that these ill informed people use to get thrills out of lets look at why they do it in the first place. You will never stop this by banning them but you will certaintly make a deeper impact if we understand why people do it in the first place. 21000000 live in Aus, how many use lasers for fun towards A/C? very few, banning them won't stop it.

Cw

Fark'n'ell
7th Apr 2008, 07:15
Laser pointer restrictions confirmed What a load of cr*p. Any electronic hobby person could build one. All they need is a laser lens (not hard to get) the rest of the parts you can buy over the counter.

Teal
21st Apr 2008, 02:39
From today's online Age newspaper:

Laser ban to prevent mass murder: Iemma April 21, 2008 - 12:12PM

New state laws banning the carrying of lasers in public are aimed at preventing "mass murder" when aircraft are targeted, NSW Premier Morris Iemma says.
Mr Iemma and NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione announced on Monday that carrying any kind of laser in public without reasonable explanation will be a criminal offence.
High-powered lasers will be classed as prohibited weapons, and carrying them in public without a permit will be an offence punishable by up to 14 years in jail.
Possession of any class of laser in public without a permit will carry a maximum two-year jail sentence and fine of $5,000.
Mr Iemma says the new laws are in response to a spate of incidents in which aircraft have been targeted with powerful hand-held lasers.
The lasers could temporarily blind pilots, with potentially horrific consequences, he told reporters.
"We are introducing new laws to stop the potential for mass murder when it comes to these hand-held lasers," Mr Iemma said.
"Make no mistake, they are lethal weapons.
"I cannot underestimate ... the potential for catastrophic consequences if a plane is brought down by these fools, these idiots, these reckless individuals, who want to use these high-powered hand-held lasers and think of it as a joke."
Mr Scipione said the new powers would make it easier to prosecute people who misused lasers.
"These are stupid people doing stupid things, turning these lasers from what they were supposed to be into lethal weapons," Mr Scipione said.
In the past, police have had to prove a laser has been used improperly even if people found in possession of a powerful device have no reason to possess it.
Now officers will be able to frisk suspects and anyone found with a laser without a permit will be arrested and charged.
Groups who would be able to apply for permits would include teachers, astronomers, university researchers and some people in the building industry.
Mr Iemma said he hoped the legislation, to be introduced into the NSW Parliament when it next sits in May, would also be adopted across Australia to stymie the potential for lasers to cross state borders.
The new laws complement the recent Commonwealth ban on importing hand-held lasers, which can be purchased for as little as $US50 ($A54).
Mr Iemma did not rule out further measures restricting the use of lasers but said there would be no extra funding for police to enforce them.

Quokka
21st Apr 2008, 07:38
The legislation is appropriate. Note that the offense specifically refers to possession... in public. Therefore, whatever you wish to do in the privacy of your own home is protected. If your laser never passes the front door, you won't be charged.

Personally, I'd rather see them all in the bin. I've been lasered in a nightclub. It always was insane that they weren't classed as a weapon and banned in public from the start.

As for their use as a lecture pointer, I was taught that training aids should not be a distraction from teaching. Laser pointers are a big distraction. Training aids, including pointers, should be selected carefully to create the optimum environment for learning. In every lesson I've attended where the lecturer has used a laser pointer, the laser has been nothing but a distraction. Image projection using Power Point can include the cursor as a pointer manipulated using a wireless mouse, so now there is significantly less of a need to use a laser pointer. Hopefully, no need at all.

Dream Land
23rd Apr 2008, 10:46
So if you start catching people driving intoxicated, what will happen? Outlaw cars or alcohol? :ugh:

TROJAN764
23rd Apr 2008, 12:21
Good thought Dreamland - the government will probably consider banning aircraft!;)

Quokka
23rd Apr 2008, 13:12
Dream Land... so you don't have a problem with 18 year olds carrying machetes on a night out in Melbourne? :rolleyes: