PDA

View Full Version : Dubai TiltRotor Operation

HeliFlight
14th Jul 2000, 12:58
One of the first civilian tiltrotor (combination aeroplane and helicopter) operations in the world will be opened in Dubai. The company is called PTI (Petroleum Tiltrotors International) and they have 5 a/c on order. They are apparently owned by some of the Sheikhs there, and it will be run their managing director who has experience with the NASA experimental tiltrotors.

There is an incredible discussion under the pprune 'rotorheads' category that gives the most informative discussion on tiltrotor technology I have ever seen. It starts off with a Navy helo pilot slamming tiltrotor technology in describing the recent MV-22 accident, then eventually turns 180 degrees into a positive discussion of the development of the technology and what is REALLY known about it, what are the flight characteristics, pilot requirements, etc. The originator of the discussion did a runner after being faced by the true facts presented by the managing director of the Dubai based company, and John Farley (Harrier development test pilot).

I have seen a lot of discussion on the accident, but nothing anywhere like this! The really amazing thing is how the whole theme of the discussion was turned around from pure negative to totally positive in a courteous and professional manner(the original posts were taken apart point by point). I wish all discussions could be carried on like this!! Great reading for those interested in aerodynamics and technical analysis.
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum11/HTML/000289.html

[This message has been edited by HeliFlight (edited 14 July 2000).]