PDA

View Full Version : LHR T4 to Central America via Houston

Davidsa
4th Apr 2008, 16:12
Next week my son and I are taking one of the newly started Continental flights from LHR T4 to Houston and going on (the same day - hopefully) to Central America. I haven’t travelled long haul for quite a few years and lots of things have changed! Perhaps someone would be kind enough to comment on the following:

What’s the best way to get from Heathrow Central Bus Station to T4 with luggage at around 8:00 – 8:30 am on a weekday? The coach service from here doesn’t go to T4 any more.

Can we avoid paying a no doubt extortionate BAA airside price for bottled water by taking several empty small (500ml) bottles through security and filling them in the loos airside? Presumably EMPTY bottles bigger than 100 ml can be taken through security?

Is it feasible to buy the customary bottle(s) of Scotch for distant friends and family from T4 duty free and, obviously, carry it as hand luggage. In Houston we will have to retrieve our suitcases and go through US customs and thus will then be able to slip it (well wrapped) into our checked luggage for the onward flight and so not take liquids through security. Or might it be better to patronize the duty free shops at IAH?

Thanks in advance – these are little things but can contribute to the overall perceived hassle level!

David

llondel
4th Apr 2008, 21:19
I have taken an empty bottle through security in carry-on before now, I don't know whether they'd get annoyed if they found it, given that it's no worse than buying a full one in the departure lounge and tipping out the contents.

You can transfer your scotch when you recover your bags, although it's a case of whether you trust the subsequent handling of your bag to keep the bottle intact.

As for bus station to T4, you might have to descend to the railway - I think the HEX is free between terminals but check that.

forget
4th Apr 2008, 21:30
Can we avoid paying a no doubt extortionate BAA airside price for bottled water by taking several empty small (500ml) bottles through security and filling them in the loos airside? :eek: or :p

Davidsa, Is this a p*ss take. Just what the hell are you doing worrying about a couple of quid for water? You've got a South American trip coming up. Relax - enjoy.

Davidsa
4th Apr 2008, 22:28
Davidsa, Is this a p*ss take. Just what the hell are you doing worrying about a couple of quid for water? You've got a South American trip coming up. Relax - enjoy.Well you do have a point.

But I find the notion of spending a couple of quid on a drop of totally alcohol-free water anything but relaxing, and buying it at that sort of price only encourages BAA!

Also my athletic and energetic son does tend to have something of a thirst let alone an appetite so it wouldnt just be one couple of quid. (BTW does anyone know what airside bottled water DOES cost? I base my prejudice on an annoying experience at BOH).

OK, if I do get stung for all that money then I will remember your post and be happy. And if I don't, I'll be happy anyway.:)

David

obgraham
4th Apr 2008, 23:00
At Houston, things are as you say: You go through Immigration, get your bags, go through customs, then drop your bags at the transit baggage checkpoint. It's right there, AFTER customs, when you can put your handcarried booze back into the bags. Don't try it before Customs release!
Now you are outside security, and have to go back through, yourself. You would not be allowed to take full bottles through there.

Buying at IAH duty free avoids that problem.

llondel
5th Apr 2008, 19:07
It's right there, AFTER customs, when you can put your handcarried booze back into the bags. Don't try it before Customs release!

Why does it make a difference? You have to carry the bottle(s) through Customs regardless, why does it matter which container they're in? I have to admit I'd do it after customs but that's only because I try to get through to that point with the minimum delay. If there was a ten-minute queue then I'd probably use the time to transfer the stuff while waiting.

obgraham
6th Apr 2008, 05:18
Why does it make a difference? ..... If there was a ten-minute queue then I'd probably use the time to transfer the stuff while waiting.Well, if you are standing in a US Customs line, or anywhere near the carousel for that matter, and you start messing with your luggage putting stuff in and out, you can be sure that the guys with big guns and/or dogs will be on you like stink on poo. Best wait till you are through.

Davidsa
7th Apr 2008, 20:32
Thanks, everyone, for all the information!

Now hoping T4 is working smoothly on Wednesday morning and we make the connection in IAH.

David

UniFoxOs
8th Apr 2008, 11:52
Can we avoid paying a no doubt extortionate BAA airside price for bottled water by taking several empty small (500ml) bottles through security and filling them in the loos airside?

Depends on your luck. It's not the amount of liquid that matters, it's the size of the containers, currently 100ml, and these must fit in your transparent, resealable bag, so you can't take 20 of them. Having said that I have seen a 1.5 litre container of water taken through a security gate (AFTER we'd just dumped the remainder of ours outside and gone through!) so you might be happen to be lucky but I wouldn't depend on it.

UFO

Davidsa
8th Apr 2008, 21:54
Depends on your luck. It's not the amount of liquid that matters, it's the size of the containers, currently 100ml, and these must fit in your transparent, resealable bag, so you can't take 20 of them. Having said that I have seen a 1.5 litre container of water taken through a security gate (AFTER we'd just dumped the remainder of ours outside and gone through!) so you might be happen to be lucky but I wouldn't depend on it.

Yes but EMPTY bottles - containing 0ml of liquid when checked?