PDA

View Full Version : Engineers working for BAA

phantomcruiser07
4th Apr 2008, 13:57
Is anyone here a maintanance engineer at BAA airports? does anyone know the application process on how to train/ get a job as one?

I'd really like to do the 4 year course listed here:

http://www.baa.com/portal/page/Corporate%5ECareers%5EWhat+could+you+do%3F%5EApprentice+Engi neer/a2e0c9f1ce262010VgnVCM100000147e120a____/448c6a4c7f1b0010VgnVCM200000357e120a____/

Any information appreciated, thanks in advance.

lgwpave
4th Apr 2008, 14:23
Phantomcruiser,

If you go to "Search our Jobs" and select "Engineering" in the Sector pull down, you will go to an Technical Trainee vacancy based at Gatwick.

The closing date is 18th April - so you're have to get an application in quick.

Good Luck :ok:

FHA
4th Apr 2008, 14:46
Hi phantomcruiser.

As this forum is for aircraft maintainers, are you thinking that this is what the BAA apprenticeship is for?
If it's an aircraft apprenticeship your after, then you're looking at the likes of Monarch etc. Otherwise, good on BAA for offering full training in this day and age.
Doing an apprenticeship and then carrying on with higher education is a brilliant path to take. It means you've progressed through the mechanic, technician then engineer route by the proper definition of the word.

Good luck. :ok:

phantomcruiser07
4th Apr 2008, 16:07
^^ I know its more aircraft maintanace, but I dont really know where else to go to get info.

phantomcruiser07
4th Apr 2008, 16:13
Thanks Igwpave, I hope Heathrow and Stanstead also have Technical Trainee positions in the future, as they are more closer to me.

Capot
5th Apr 2008, 00:53
phantomcruiser...

Did you get the point that FHA's making...if you work for BAA engineering you won't get near an aircraft; it's all about stuff like airport vehicles, aircraft and vehicle pavement, electrical distribution, lighting, and terminal building and machinery maintenance.

BAA don't even touch aircraft handling equipment; that's done by airlines and agents.

Air Traffic control engineering, radar, radio etc, is not BAA's role.

Fuelling is done by fuel suppliers, not BAA.

In short, working for BAA engineering is like working for the local Council, except the location's a bit more interesting.

If you knew all that, please ignore!

tec3
8th Apr 2008, 19:33
Since when did the councils have an Automated inter terminal transit system, Airbridges, baggage conveyor, Runway & Taxiway lighting systems to name a few of the different skills required to run and maintain our airports. ??

And yes BAA is recruiting now for apprentices for Heathrow, Gatwick & Stansted.