PDA

View Full Version : dvd decoder, mpeg-2

mansp
4th Apr 2008, 12:33
My daughter tried to watch a dvd on her desk top recently, she has the latest version of windows media player, but it says she needs a dvd decoder (video decoder).
Is there one I can download to work in line with windows, apart from the microsoft website, where I have to pay!

PPRuNeUser0171
4th Apr 2008, 12:52
are you sure she has the latest version of Media player as I thought that had the DVD decoder built in.

You could try an eval copy of PowerDVD and see if that fixes the problem.

mansp
4th Apr 2008, 13:07
thinking about it, new pc, but running windows xp on it, however she did say she downloaded the latest version of media player

PPRuNeUser0171
4th Apr 2008, 14:24
The exact error message she is getting would be helpful. I can't find the correct specs for Media Player 11 but I'm 99% sure it does because I had a DVD playing in it when I built a new laptop for my dad a month back.......

BigEndBob
4th Apr 2008, 21:15
Should be called Windows Mean Player.
Try downloading codecs from CCCP.

Parapunter
4th Apr 2008, 21:31
Xp comes with naff all in codec terms. If the WMP says no dice, then you need ideally a piece of software - I would recommend Power DVD 4 or later, but there are others that will work - check google for info.

bnt
4th Apr 2008, 23:33
I'm using a free DVD Codec with WMP: DScaler (http://www.dscaler.org/). Works a treat. :8

mansp
7th Apr 2008, 10:23
Many thks all, will check them out later when i escape from work!!