PDA

View Full Version : Got my medical back where do I stand

Mickey Kaye
4th Apr 2008, 10:44
About 15 years ago I had my medical pulled due to eustation tube problems. Today I have had the all clear from an ENT consultant to resume flying.

I was once an AFI with 600 hours TT. BCPL (Frozen ATPL), Night Rating, IMC and a twin rating. I last flew in 1995. I would like to return to flying in some capacity and was thinking about doing a little flying instruction at weekends.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some idea of what parts of my license would be valid and what would I have to do to get up and running in an AFI capacity.

Many thanks

Wee Weasley Welshman
4th Apr 2008, 11:55
I would point you to LASSORS on the CAA website SRG group pages for information.

Sadly I think not much of your old ratings and license will be valid.

THE BCPL is no more and you'll need to do the full ATPL groundschool to instruct unless you have Grandfather rights and thats an expensive ballache.

Volunteer gliding instruction, possibly with the Air Cadest might be an option to consider.

SkyCamMK
4th Apr 2008, 11:56
Good to see you have persevered! First you will need a medical from a CAA AME to see if you can revive a class I if you ever had one - that would allow you to earn from flying. BUT, see thread about BCPL holders because under the new EASA regs after JAA you may not have so much credit as you would if you were current right now. You need sound advice and I would suggest you write or email FCL at Gatwick once you have your medical in your hand and have renewed your PPL.

Perhaps get accross to Full Sutton or Rufforth and get airborne and see how you feel back in the air. As everything has lapsed by over 10 years only the CAA can tell you exactly what is considered to be of value. The bad news is that they may not count anything. The good news is that you would require much less training than most if they say take whatever training is required to pass the various skill tests for the ratings you wish to acquire. Since there is no BCPL or AFI now you may have to do it all again but I suppose you know that too. I hope things work out for you I used to love flying in North Yorks.