PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Italy

s2h
4th Apr 2008, 05:09
Good day ladies and gentlemen.
I am posting this on the Italian forum because I would like to get some honest opinions from Italians themselves.
I have the opportunity to move to Italy in about 18months to 2 years time, and will be looking to move to Lombardia, around Lake Como, as I need to be about an hour away from Malpensa airport. Could anyone please let me know about this area, house prices, schools, I have 2 kids. I am fanatical about the outdoors, mountains and snow. Maybe someone could suggest another area. We are obviously keen on all things Italian, how would we be received that side?
Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

s2h

89polaris
4th Apr 2008, 12:57
s2h, Varese area, closer to Malpensa, could be a suggestion:You can find lakes, hills and mountains all around, snow is within one hour, for your kids you have an International school in Varese, rented an appartment stays within 900€/month, and if You like outdoors you can find nice single villas in the sorrounding. People are kind, the area is quiet, the Swiss border is within 15 km.

Have a nice stay in Italy.

magicabula
4th Apr 2008, 14:13
Arona and all the lake area around is very nice . Varese is quite nice city with all services you and your family will need. depends what you wnat and how much do you plan to spend for renting a house\villa. see you 'roud

alatristissima
4th Apr 2008, 21:02
Sorry I-Ford, I have to ask.

Sea and beaches (Portofino, Santa Margherita, Rapallo)
(I think it is quite optimistic to say two hours getting to Liguria'shores)

A different (non EU) country to move to in case you need to
(What mischieves are you up to that you need to vacate ASAP?:}:})

s2h
5th Apr 2008, 05:52
Thanks very much for the replies, I will check out the areas and towns you have mentioned.
Looking forward to heading out that way!

We will definitely send our kids to local schools, what better way to become part of the local community, we will also be interested in buying property, after a year of renting and looking around for the right area.
If I can be close to the mountains and be close to mountainbike routes, I'll be in heaven.
Any info on the local bureaucracy, I believe it can be rather challenging.
Thanks again

juliadayla
5th Apr 2008, 12:53
I-Ford suggestions are just right and accurate. A no better answer could you get. :D

s2h
21st Jul 2009, 06:25
Hi again, its been a while, we will be visiting the Varese area in September to have a good look around and to see if it is the "right " place for us to settle. We will be visiting all the obvious places around the area, I was just wondering if anyone could suggest something that we wont find on the internet or in guide books, a particular place to visit or eat at, or an upcoming event that we shouldnt miss, a market perhaps or something to do with the kids.

Again, thanks in advance.

rollix
21st Jul 2009, 22:37
As long as you stay far from the south of the country you'll be fine.

Anyway, be prepared for third world like bureaucracy, really high house renting fees and expensive costs of living.

Also the school system and formation in general is not so good, and since your choice involves kids, please think twice about it.

Italian education: Schools out | The Economist (http://www.economist.com/world/europe/displaystory.cfm?story_id=12429554)
Higher education in Italy: A case for change | The Economist (http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=12607260)

This country is nice for tourists, but living in here could be less enjoyable than it seems

walu
24th Jul 2009, 08:44
Rollix, you are indeed incorrect and jaded (molto cinico!) about your views of the South!

In fact it's quiet the opposite from my experience, the South (Apulia in my case) is cheaper, friendlier, less bureaucratic and a healthier place to live than most places in the North! Don't get me wrong I still like all of Italy but you're prompting me to defend the place I love, il Salento! :ok:

All the Northern Italians are very biased this way, but that's fine, we don't need these types spread around Italy!! It's far better you all keep up North, in the traffic, pollution and miserable weather! Fill your boot's with that!

Otherwise I wish s2h and his family the best for their move, Como area is exceptional (to look at and to fly around!) but it's best discovering things for yourself! Getting in a car on your weekends and exploring is better than going purely on advice. One mans heaven is another's hell after all!

I have lived in a few (eight now!) countries around the world and somehow I feel compelled to comment on this otherwise dormant and unhelpful (poco disponibile!) part of PPRUNE but many guys and girls can offer good advise but seem very reluctant to do so for some reason??!:rolleyes:

In bocca al lupo s2h!

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]

rollix
27th Jul 2009, 02:24
Hi Walu,

You're just saying that my statements are incorrect, but you're not going into details or providing any kind of further evidence that prove me wrong.

Maybe you're used to trains with hours of delay, claustrophobic streets, endless lines at postal and public offices, helpless public administration and the highest income tax in the entire EU, but a foreigner may be unaware of those things.

I simply want s2h (since he plan to install himself and his family in here) to know how things really work (or better doesn't work) in this country, so he can do a balanced evaluation before making any move.

Is there something wrong with that? Or have I broke some sort of secret silence pact? :ooh: :=

Don't even think to come and tell me that everything is fine and that this is all an invention of mine, I'm living all this careless and inefficiency firsthand every single day.

"It's far better you all keep up North, in the traffic, pollution and miserable weather! Fill your boot's with that!"

I don't know what idea you've got of me, but I was born, grown, and actually living and working in the south.

Your allegoric (and a little bit childish) idea of the bad rich northern guy denigrating the south of the country doesn't apply.

About miserable weather, today temperature reached 38° with no wind, it doesn't rain since three months, and if I take a look outside of the window all the vegetation is dead, the colors are the ones of a desert, and without constant air conditioning it's almost impossible to work or do anything different than lying in bed in a bath of sweat.

Btw, Como outskirts are actually a good choice, I agree with that.

Up there people attitude is more Switzerland or Austian-like than Italian, but the fact of being under Italian law and local goverment could reserve you some really unpleasant surprises, especially if you also plan to work there.

Think twice and check everything out, better safe than sorry!

s2h
2nd Aug 2009, 02:20
Thanks for the interesting read and info, much appreciated.

berniecta
5th Aug 2009, 10:59
I might suggest anywhere around varese lake, much less crowded than the bigger sibling Maggiore, lots of nice places to go cycling, soaring, hiking, the closest ski resort is no more than an hour away. Good luck