PDA

View Full Version : Widerøe vs Norwegian

norwegianviking69
4th Apr 2008, 00:54
I'm in a totally wiered position compared to where I was just one year ago. In a short time I have to choose between working for Widereøe or NAS. When youre in this position other things comes "into the equation". I'm thinking about things like payment, work scedule vs family-time, base close to home, jet vs turbine, posibilities to take more education and develope within the company, years to captain, company benefits, pension, etc etc.

Help me look into the crystal ball people! What airline would you choose, and for what reasons? Looking 5-10 or more years ahead, what would be important?

Iver
4th Apr 2008, 13:33
Take the jet so long as the location works for you (important). You will be more valuable down the line.

Donkey Duke
4th Apr 2008, 22:33
Where would you be based and what aircraft are offered? How long to command?

norwegianviking69
5th Apr 2008, 01:17
Donkey Duke: Don't know about base or time to command in either of the companies. I'm probably not in a position to choose those kind of things when I have decided "where to go". One thing is certain though, Widerøe operates Dash 8 and NAS 737s.

norwegianviking69
5th Apr 2008, 01:25
Iver: If I understood you right, you would choose jet before location? (I'm sorry, but your reply could be read the other way as well. I know... I'm slow:bored:) Any other factors I should take into consideration that you could think of?

Guttn
6th Apr 2008, 15:16
I had the same "dilemma" 3 years ago. But it was between 4 companies, all in Norway. One of them went tits up this winter - didn`t go for them. Another is a biz-jet company. NAS and WF were also there. My opinion on this matter is very partial since I now fly the 8:ok:, but after attending the NAS "interview" and being less than close to impressed, and at the same time knowing what WF had to offer and type of flying, there really was no option for me :D. :mad: buying a job. Much better to get paid while doing training (including room and board), and have arguably the most rewarding airline flying job. That is if you enjoy a lot of hands-on flying and pride yourself in having good stick and rudders skills as well as gaining sound local knowledge as to wx conditions. Time to command is "forever" compared to jet lo-co` companies, but due to the kind of operation it is actually needed. Stable roster with 7 continuos days on and 7 continuos days off with a fixed starting day:ok::D. Other benefits include ID-travel benefits, ID-hotel benefits and so on. Just received a nice pay rise as well :ok:. But at the end of the day it`s a very very very nice company to work for. A large family. So go for the green tie:E

Iver
7th Apr 2008, 18:41
Hi norwegianviking69,

No, I meant that if the location works for you, then you really should consider the jet because jet time will be more valuable down the line if you want to consider other opportunitites. Both are good airlines but I would probably take the jet if I lived in/near a pilot domicile.

Good luck.

Guttn
10th Apr 2008, 12:02
All depends on where you want to grow old, and if the company has good retirement benefits and so on. WF is one of those good companies to grow old and retire with. Have no idea about DY retirement package.

Another way of looking at it is; who offers best job security now that the economy is a bit wobbly? :}:confused:

Anyway, it`s a good idea to do some research before deciding, but don`t make a deciscion entirely upon flying a jet or not :ok: because there`s a lot more to it than that.

empati
10th Apr 2008, 12:45
I agree with guttn on this, but having flown tprop and jet, I must say, jet is slightly more comfy. But the job is the same.:ok: I don't know where NV69 is from, but is moving to northern Norway an option? If not, forget 7-7! You will commute, so call it 5-9. Norwegian is probably an exciting place to work these days, but like guttn, I would worry about the future economy, due to the US recession. I read somewhere that NAS is operating on a 3% margin.:eek:

Empati

norwegianviking69
10th Apr 2008, 22:22
Being new in this game is not easy. It's very helpful to hear what others with more experience think/mean. Like it was said: They are both good companies.

The one thing about Norwegian that I don't like, is that one have to pay for one's own rating. I sort of feel that I have payed enough for my education, and that airlines that still require that I should "cough up" another 250-300.000NOK has not done their homework regarding the pilot shortage we are facing now and in the next years to come.

What are your thoughts about this?

Donkey Duke
11th Apr 2008, 04:45
Go to Norwegian and fly the jet. That time can get you experience that you can use in Dubai or other countries if yours gets into a recession. Flying a Dash won't help much. Go with the 737, it is a better investment.

Guttn
11th Apr 2008, 08:35
A quick thought or two....

Keep in mind what kind of operation each of the carriers has;
NAS = low-cost, which can be very uplifting when you think about a/c orders and time to command. On the downside, they always go for the most profit, meaning existing bases can be shut down (as well as routes) if they are not profitable enough.
WF = shortfield regional operations flying argueably one of the worlds toughest route networks. This is not for everybody, but for those who like a challenge and have the flying skills required. Thus, time to command is a bit of a wait (approx 8 years I think). Regional carrier, and owned, by SAS, and through them a STAR Alliance member. Flies for the Norwegian government sponsored routes, mostly to keep the infrastructure alive:D.

Two totally different kinds of operations, so you can`t really compare them side by side. I think NAS works a 5/4 5/3 schedule, while WF works a 7/7 schedule with starting/ending days being the same unless you bid otherwise. In WF you`ll almost 100& be assigned to Tromsø or Bodø, and you bid your way Southwards if you like.

NAS = meet with a current 737 rating
WF = you get paid from day 1 during groundschool

Other benefits can be found on www.ppjn.com (http://www.ppjn.com) but be advised that WF pilots have just been given new and improved benefits, especially nice for commuting pilots:D

Good luck on your choice. Keep us advised :ok: And feel free to send me a PM if you have any Qs

sierrapilot
11th Apr 2008, 19:11
Norwegianviking69,
May I ask about your level of experience?

Donkey Duke
12th Apr 2008, 08:19
Let me see, fly a slower prop around Norway or fly a jet all around Europe and always return back to Norway (OSL)? I think I would pick the jet. This seems like a no brainer.

TheFatMan
12th Apr 2008, 08:57
Agree with Donkey Duke - go for the Jet!

A few Wideroe pilots have just left for Norwegian, despite the fact that they have been given the rating by the company, etc, etc... Wideroe is a very good company, but do you want to commute for 30 years? More than one pilot have realised that it wasn´t their cup of tea after a couple of years.

But if you live in the north of Norway or around Torp, it is a no brainer the other way around, go for Wideroe!

None have so far left Norwegian for Wideroe.

Dovregubben
12th Apr 2008, 09:00
NAS: Fly jets, pick a base: OSL,SVG,BGO or TRD, time to command for a lowtimer +/- 4 years.

WIF: Fly props, the company will pick a base for you, something far north in middle of nowhere. After several years you might get a southern base closer to populated areas. After 6-12 years you get your command and the company ships you UP NORTH AGAIN. Then you have to work your way up the seniority list to get a southern base again. Thats a long line of punishment to fly small props. . . . . .

:ugh:

Guttn
12th Apr 2008, 09:44
So it`s basically whatever floats your boat. Just don`t dwell on it too long so that you end up further down the seniority list than necessary. Or even worse; that the companies stop hiring:uhoh:.

A lot of people seem to forget that WF have 3 bases in Southern Norway; OSL, TRF and BGO:ok:. Also, that when SAS begin hiring again that it`s not a negative thing to already be flying for the SAS Group if you decide to move on to jets.

One thing for sure though; you can always resign from ANY company if you`re not happy there.

Dovregubben; WF pilots now get commuting tickets, so the hassle with standby tickets is no longer an issue:D

TFM, that`s correct - no NAS pilots have left for WF. This probably has to do with several things, but I imagine that wen you`re flying jets it might not be as lucrative stepping down to the turboprops? But commuting for 30 years? Come on! When I get the OSL base I still have to get my sorry @$$ to that base every day, but as I now am based up north I only have to go to OSL twice a month. Which means it is cheaper for me to be based up north:ok:.

DD, what does speed have to do with anything? The 747 is a lot faster than the 737, but that doesn`t really matter does it? Fact is, the job is basically the same - flying people to their destinations as safely as possible. :D

But we`re all curious now. What`s the verdict? Have you made a choice, or perhaps have an offer from some other company which outshine both NAS and WF? Spill the beans Mr. Viking!

Donkey Duke
14th Apr 2008, 06:36
Really, go to NAS. This is getting painful. Flying a jet is much better than flying a slower prop. Only people who have only flown props will tell you otherwise. And, NAS has a few bases to choose from. Take a step in the right direction. You will never look back. NAS also flies to more exotic places like Palma, Nice, and Herraklion, and still hits Longyearben in the North. Great variety, and not the drone of props. They are totally different jobs.

Guttn
14th Apr 2008, 09:42
Still don`t know?

If it`s a 50/50 situation for you, meaning it`s a borderline deciscion, then go to the company who has the first available date:ok:.It seems pilots in both camps are quite happy with what they do - and yes the job is the same allthough type of operation is totally different. Just don`t delay your deciscion too long, because all of a sudden the hiring could stop:ugh:.

And if you don`t mind paying for the rating then NAS could definately be an option. If you do mind, then don`t do it an go to WF asap:}.

Guttn
14th Apr 2008, 09:45
Empati, is it true that NAS are operating on a 3% margin? With fuel prices soaring, and continuing in the same direction this is a bit scary. Ryanair have just released that it looks like they`re going to have to put 20 aircaft on the ground this fall because it`s cheaper for them NOT to have them in the air:sad:.

Blackcoffeenosugar
14th Apr 2008, 10:00
Considered applying for NetJets? Oslo base 6 on / 5 off start at home on day one, finish at home on day 6. Fly everywhere! (the company flew to 917 different airports last year) 1-2 years to command depending on your experience. Good salary etc. And they pay for your rating. Always flying new aircraft and 96 more aircraft on order. :)

Guttn
14th Apr 2008, 15:04
That`s the first company I would send my application to if I got furloughed:ok: Very good package:D

norwegianviking69
15th Apr 2008, 16:53
Sierrapilot: I'm close to 850hrs.

Guttn: Right now I'm thinking WF, but that could change...

I live in the northern part of Norway, so working here don't scare me. It's actually wery interesting to read, and I quote:

"something far north in middle of nowhere" (argument used by Dovregubben).

The good thing about most people living here is that they KNOW that this is not the centre of the universe. I have traveled a bit, and I can assure you Dovregubben, the navel of the earth is NOT in Norway. Sorry for ruining your belief.

Guttn
15th Apr 2008, 18:13
Norwegian viking, you should send me a PM if you are wondering about anything in particular:E. But if you reside within driving distance to TOS or BOO then this should be a no-brainer:ok:

Iver
20th Oct 2008, 17:27
Hello Norwegianviking69,

So, have you made your decision yet? It seemed you were leaning toward Wideroe. I personally would have chosen Norwegian on the 737 (Malta and Palma are warmer than Oslo in the Winter).

Do you have an update yet?

sky sailor
23rd Oct 2008, 14:48
I would go for Wideroe. Market is changing, it is definetily not the same as few month ago and Wideroe seems to be much more stable. I know few pilots there, they are happy... Flyingwise it could be even more exciting.
And at the end - if you will not like there you can go to the Norwegian in couple of years.

Donkey Duke
23rd Oct 2008, 16:19
I would have chosen the Norwegian Shuttle 737s. A lot more comfortable and a place you would have left Wideroe for. Let's hear an update from this guy.

Guttn
25th Oct 2008, 20:33
Pros and cons as always:rolleyes:. No, you most likely can`t have your cake and eat it too. Maybe a whiff, but that`s about it:E. NAS have just delivered a very good Q3 report, but me thinks it is a bit vague since they also got about 80% of this from their stockholders;). Oh BTW, they`re not hiring. Haven`t done so since late spring 2008. On the other hand, WF is back on track to where they were last year before the Q400 incidents, and still going stong:D. And still hiring! :D So if yo`re looking for a job then look at who is hiring. Market has definitley changed. Time to look at security rather than the quick buck. My 2 or 3 cents:}

So what`s the choice?