PDA

View Full Version : Modular training

benish
3rd Apr 2008, 23:11
Im just wondering which way to go around it.

In 2 weeks I am taking a class 1 medical, then in the summer (after a-levels) I will commence a PPL with Multiflight at leeds bradford airport.

After this I am unsure of the way to do things. Do I do the hour build or the ground school first? What is the normal way of doing things? What do you all think?

what is actually expected to be done in the hour building? just fly around (florida in my case) all day? any advice? how long will it take?

thanks in advance

Ben.

preduk
3rd Apr 2008, 23:23
Up to you really... some do Hour Building while doing their ground school, some build the hours then come back and finish ground school.

Personally I wouldn't recommend Florida for Hour Building. Hour building should be about building on experience, you won't learn as much if you are flying in perfect weather conditions, on flat ground with loads of room to do what you please.

If you want to head abroad, I would recommend New Zealand or you could stay home, get a share or payment plan with an aircraft which will reduce the flying costs to almost the same as Florida rates but without the extra travelling, VISA, Accommodation costs.

bajadj
4th Apr 2008, 00:41
No visa required for hours building. Only training.

Famouswhendead
4th Apr 2008, 04:10
Like preduk says, I would recommend you do some hour building whilst studying for your ATPL's. Not only will it keep you a little more sane, but trying to bash out 100 hours isn't as easy as it sounds.

However, I would recommend the USA generally to you for that task. It doesn't have to be a JAA school. In fact, I would steer clear of them like the plague. Most of them will charge you extra for the JAA approved status, which means zilch when you're hourbuilding. Get out to a local club, perhaps one that hasn't had a European visit before and negociate a deal with an owner. Lots to see out here. It will actually add a lot to your experience. You can go into most Class B airspace - MCO Orlando being one, where you could be vectored alongside those big metal tubes. I doubt you would find that in the UK for free. Go on a trip with a partner. I myself went from the West coast to the East, and had a great time. How about the Grand Canyon en route?

It is your decision. Most people who knock the US for hours haven't flown there, but I personally think it is what you make it.

Oh, contrary to popular belief, the weather isn't always perfect! Can change dramitically in hours. You'll be glued to the Weather Channel for hours prior to flying!!!!

SkyCamMK
4th Apr 2008, 14:06
Hour building just "flying around" is worthless. Check out the CPL syllabus, get a plan of where to go then do it. You will progress more if you constantly set challenges and have an attitude of learning from each flight. It will stand you in good stead for later. You will probably want to review your plans when you have some solo navigation experience at the latter end of your PPL and can use nav aids properly, train first then just Go for it!