PDA

View Full Version : Evaluating an Aircraft (A helicopter particularly)

Newbie2008
3rd Apr 2008, 18:34
If you were to evaluate a helicopter for a potential buyer or just to rent/lease it, what would you focus your attention on? Specially on Bell Helicopters (206L3-4's, 407's and 412's). Besides the obvious like overhaul or retirement times remaining, etc.

cavo_666
7th Apr 2008, 17:57
1) life of components.
2) whats recently been changed?
3) recent performance tests - ecu ppi's, track/balance/vib figures, oil comsumption for all major boxes,
4) the usual once all over but pay particular attention to all head/drive components.
5) if theres any health monitoring on board awesome but if not head could have been over torqued at some time

the list is endless really!!!!!!!

wrench1
8th Apr 2008, 00:14
newb,

I use two methods - but mainly stick with method #1:

The main difference between the two is the type and amount of actual maintenance you perform on the aircraft while complying with the "evaluation" or pre-buy for a better term.

Method #1- Daily inspection and conformity check: This method keeps you in the realm of preventative maintenance and provides a very good external look at aircraft and paperwork, while using the existing manuals (RFM) and listings (AD, ASB, SL) to compare the airworthiness of the aircraft.

Method #2 - Annual/100hr or scheduled OEM inspection: This method without a doubt will open up all the issues of the aircraft - but also all the liabilities. Unless all the potential issues are ironed out BEFORE this type of inspection takes place - it could put you in the hot seat between the seller and the buyer.

The reason I use Method #1 the most is that it gives me bona fide references to physically look over the aircraft (RFM) and paperwork that can not be "challenged" by the seller. It is very cut and dry if you find something wrong.

The main problem with Method #2 is if you encounter discrepancies while performing the inspection(s). By regulation (on our side of the pond) you are required to inform the owner ... who may not want to deal with them due to the sale of the aircraft, etc, etc,etc.

As for rotorwing aircraft the most important item to consider during a pre-buy is its past operational use. For example, extensive long-line work will affect certain aircraft different than say flying 8hr legs in the GOM.

As cav_666 mentioned the list could be endless.

If I had to nail it in a nut shell I would the separate the money issues (component times, avionics, kits, paint finish, interior, etc) from the airworthy items (AD's, corrosion, FOD, etc) and work out these details with the buyer before you look at it.

If you need some more info send me a PM.

W1