PDA

View Full Version : Comfort Air

The Oxygen Boys
3rd Apr 2008, 14:41
Does anyone know anything about the Comfort Air aircraft that had a door open during take off and returned to MUC ?

This same thing happened to us during a charter last year... as a result of this and other incidents (operational and commercial; not safety reasons I hasten to add) we as a company have opted not to use them any more... this has been in effect since January 08.

Also heard they have lost some aircraft from their operation ? Anyone shed any light on these as our lines of communication are well and truly broken !

Cheers

The Oxygen Boys

jetopa
3rd Apr 2008, 15:35
Are you saying that their main entry cabin door opened during takeoff? Hmmm - scary thought.

Never had the best impression of this particular company, but before making any judgements I'd better try to get some facts...

The Oxygen Boys
4th Apr 2008, 09:53
Not sure which door it was to be honest... either way it's not exactly ideal !

If anyone else can shed light.............

O24

themasterofdesater
4th Apr 2008, 11:07
I heard from a friend, and he heard from a friend that the O .... Boys were kicked out from Comfort Air? :eek:

Why????

The Oxygen Boys
4th Apr 2008, 11:39
Hmmmm. Good news travels fast.....

For the record Steven and Andrew went to their office in January to discuss a number of issues including punctuality, schoolboy operational problems and of course the good old... 'approaching our client directly' following a few flights with them.

In fact, worse than this, our client called us to inform that the CEO of the company was suggesting that.

A. Oxygen 4 were unprofessional - if this is checked with anyone else, I'm sure (without being up ourselves) most would disagree with the statement
B. The client could get a better service with them directly - how ironic !
C. They could save a load of cash.

The client in fact, asked us never to use them again for their flights and we took the view following the meeting that they were right and we should not be putting any clients with them.

Within 5 minutes of the meeting, they were indeed forcibly ejected from the office, leaving them on the autobahn in the snow, in the industrial area where their office is located (funny I guess when you read it ):). This was greeted with surprise and disgust by all other employees that witnessed this disgraceful and ungentlemanly conduct... No place in our business for this carry on !

Most, if not all, operators who deal with us will (hopefully) agree that we are pretty decent and reasonable guys to deal with so his reaction was odd to say the least !

We have no axe to grind with them, we were interested to check if the rumour regarding the door was true…

flygirl29
4th Apr 2008, 14:34
I donīt know if this are good news! Looks not so good for you guys and your company!

Sounds like you are "poor" boys :{ and need some commiserate!

You must have a lot of time writing your "biography" here ...:D

His dudeness
4th Apr 2008, 16:01
In a former life I dealt repeatedly with at least one of the Oxygen guys, rest assured, they are true professionals.

I have had the "pleasure" to do some freelance work for Comfort and quite frankly, I donīt really need that again. I wonīt go into details.

However, didnīt hear the door story, if it was a CJ or 5 something similar I myself had the microswitches in the front end go beserk and give me a unlock light right after T/O (years ago, not on a CA airplane). Checklist says to land. Maybe it just was something like that - if the main door would have opened Iīm quite sure it would have made the news.

Flintstone
4th Apr 2008, 16:13
Agree with His dudeness. Challenger doors touch the ground when open so landing with one in that position would be........interesting and presumably have generated a news story. Maybe it was 'just' a door unlocked light?

http://www.yahoofreak.com/emoticons/Activity%20Emoticons/china%20man.gifConfucious he say "Beware new posters who mysteriously appear to defend company reputation with their first post" (post #4 & #6)

charterguy
5th Apr 2008, 01:42
Oxygen boys.

I think you need to breathe some oxygen.

we as a company have opted not to use them any more...

If you have decided not to use them any more, why do you need any further information about their current operations and / or mishaps ?

Business must be slow. It would seem that you have a lot of time on your hands to slag operators in this forum. As brokers (parasites) you are not qualified to criticise carriers. :ugh: Sh1t happens !!!

If you are not happy I suggest you buy your own planes and assume some risk. When things go well, you are happy take all the credit. When things go wrong, let's slag off the carrier.

Totally Lost
5th Apr 2008, 09:57
I have been working for quite a bit in business aviation and had a brief contact with the boss of contact air. I would rather be unemployed than working for this in my opinion very choleric and unpleasant guy.
Worse of all he is or used to be (havenīt had any personal contact since 2006) a pilot by himself. And havenīt heard good stories from others dealing with him either. I think this is an good example why business aviation has very often a bad reputation (Which is sad, because I believe it is more fun than flying the airlines)

AND: I think it is quite allright to place mishaps like this in a public forum. There should be a blacklist anyway that warns some colleagues where better not to work....

themasterofdesater
5th Apr 2008, 13:21
Good words Charterguy!

What is with the Brokers who do not pay their invoices? Where is this black list? You have to run behind your money like a chicken without head!

I am a aircraft owner too, and by god, it is not easy. I have worked for a couple of aircraft operaters and major airlines. And if you are weak and soft in your head, of course your Cpt. or Boss shouts at you. This business is not for wimps!

What do you think what I do when the Crew damages the aircraft, is too late at the airport for departure, the customer calls every 2 minutes and stuff like that. I will not say "well done", make it better next time! There is no second chance. So many operators are waiting for mistakes you do! The next time, the customer will not choose you! There are so many pilots out there, good ones and bad ones. If they are too weak, kick them out, before something bad happens, ruin your business, better take the next one!

Make the best you can do every day, try to understand why someone is angry about you, and this can make your life a lot easier. And if they shout at you without reason, just think:

"People go working, we go flying"!

This is the best job on earth, enjoy every day!

Taxi2parking
5th Apr 2008, 13:46
Dear themasterofdesater

Obviously you missed all the CRM classes :D

....although shouting a lot is an interesting approach; however, something about someone shouting about people being wimps in an aviation setting is quite worrying. You ever consider that if you treat your crews like s#*t that they will leave at the first opportunity and you'll eventually have to replace them with some incompetent who will probably cock up even worse. But by that point it's too late as you have the reputation of being an idiot employer and so only idiots will apply...in the long run not good business.....:ooh:

Cheers

themasterofdesater
5th Apr 2008, 14:26
hey Taxi2parking

good name! Better stay on ground before you pee your pants!:p

One of the new pilots between 20 - 30???

Better go home and ask your mum if you can help her in the kitchen!

Taxi2parking
5th Apr 2008, 14:58
Ooohhhh well looks like I'll just have to admit that your superior banter has defeated me! - particularly liked the bit about kitchens cos I do enjoy cooking.

or maybe not as my mum's dead.

jetopa
5th Apr 2008, 15:26
'totally lost' is absolutely right: this forum should be used to warn the unknowing about guys like 'Mr. N.' who's behind Comfort Air.

The very few things that I know about this particular company (mixed with personal experience) is absolutely enough to advise anybody to stay far away from them. They don't give a sh.. about regulations (lots of examples for that), they treat some of their employees in a way that reminds me of the 'good old times' in the South in the USA when slavery was paramount and they use abusive language whenever they like to.

Flintstone
5th Apr 2008, 16:46
So, the masterofdesater (wtf?). For which company do you work? With the behaviour you're describing you sound a lot like the sort of person jetopa is warning us about.

C'mon, fess up. Who are you really? Pop up after this thread starts, you and your sidekick immediately launch in to Comfort's defence and now you're picking a fight with all in range. Bit of a giveaway.

Taxi2parking
6th Apr 2008, 10:57
Let's not be unfair it was me that picked the fight. I just can't resist - mind you I was flattered that anyone mistook me as being 20 to 30 years old.:p

I too would like to know which company he is with cos I have decided to give up my present job in a well run company with a strong safety culture to do something more 'on the edge' - come on the masterofdesater where do I apply - or is the answer already here as Flintstone suggest?

The Oxygen Boys
7th Apr 2008, 08:23
Hey what a surprise... suddenly the thread is in danger of being about broker-bashing - thank you (again) CharterGuy... ! :ugh:

Obviously a man like you with "20 years experience" is right, we "parasites" on the industry are doing it no good and all of us are terrible creatures; whereas all operators are doing nothing but wonderful things in terms of development and service for this industry... as you can see by most threads, there is a great deal of "slagging off" of operators. Having checked some of your previous posts, we notice that you have very little positive feedback about brokers - get over it mate ! :bored:

We are not slagging anyone off, we are interested to learn more info about an incident because "a decent broker" should keep themselves up to date with the industry news... good or bad !

I really trust that "masterofdisaster" isn't making reference to Oxygen 4 not paying their invoices... I'm not a lawyer; but I believe that if that kind of statement is said to make it look like we don't pay our bills - we need to chat to our legal team !!! We've paid every bill and paid them quickly... Perhaps you're brave enough to send me a PM to chat about it, or better still pick up the phone....... no, I thought not ! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I totally agree with Flintstone, some people obviously have jumped on here on the defensive... I suppose it's good though, debate and opinion is what this forum is about... ? :D

His dudeness
7th Apr 2008, 16:54
What is with the Brokers who do not pay their invoices? Where is this black list? You have to run behind your money like a chicken without head!

Put one up - good idea! There are bad guys in the broker business like on the operator side, but the Oxygen 4 guys are good in my book - and Iīm not in the charterbusiness any more, so there is no need for me to be kind.

I am a aircraft owner too, and by god, it is not easy. I have worked for a couple of aircraft operaters and major airlines. And if you are weak and soft in your head, of course your Cpt. or Boss shouts at you. This business is not for wimps!

Oh my god, its not easy, huh? Who would have guissed that? And youīre the one that does not do any mistakes? I think I heard about you.... Mr.Perfect, innit? Iīve seen your twin brother down here, he was a pain in the butt for crews, but managed to damage airplanes himself, whilst pulling them from the hangar or hail damage to the whole airframe because he flew knowingly against the MEL without WX RDR. He never fired himself though.

What do you think what I do when the Crew damages the aircraft, is too late at the airport for departure, the customer calls every 2 minutes and stuff like that. I will not say "well done", make it better next time! There is no second chance. So many operators are waiting for mistakes you do! The next time, the customer will not choose you! There are so many pilots out there, good ones and bad ones. If they are too weak, kick them out, before something bad happens, ruin your business, better take the next one!

First of all, IF you hire the right people, it wonīt happen. This means - just as a hint - pay good, threat them good, then youīll have good people stay.
Give the younger ones a perspective and let em grow. Communicate - so many operator donīt realize that their best ASSET is the crew. And so much information is lost between the guxs on the front line and ops. Give em real clear guidelines and have everyone INVOLVED.
If someone makes a mistake, he needs to be retrained. He needs backup. Normally no one make mistakes because he wants to - there is always 2 sides of a story - listen to it and evaluate WHY this particular mistake was done. IF he is not trainable - then youīre right, then its the boot.
I found, that very often a mistake is started way before it really happens.
All of this is really common sense and no rocket science.