PDA

View Full Version : 90 years to choose from

GPMG
3rd Apr 2008, 13:15
With 90 years to choose from, if you had the opportunity, when would you join up? Gentlemen's Flying club years? WW2? The dawn of the Jet age? The cold war? Or now?

I think I'd go for late 1920's with the Siskin, Grebe, Gladiator and on to Hurricane and Spit. The sense of exploration, foreboding and excitement.

Just a fun topic, to lighten the mood what with threads about overstretch, JPA etc.

Occasional Aviator
3rd Apr 2008, 13:20
I reckon about 1952. People from that era seem to have flown all sorts of types - I recall a tale about a whole sqn flying from Hong Kong to Singapore over about 5 days to swap their vampires for a newer model!

You'd be able to cut about in little things like vixens, mighty fighters like the javelin, let's not forget the V-force, see the Lightning in and perhaps even get a go at the Bucc before leaving.

Roland Pulfrew
3rd Apr 2008, 13:58
End of WWII for me. I would have loved to fly something like the Typhoon (piston not jet) or Mosquito and then (assuming I hadn't crashed) move onto the early jets after the war - whilst we still had bits of an Empire to be based in.

Sadly, I'm not sure my aptitude would be up to flying them, but it's a dream....

soddim
3rd Apr 2008, 13:58
I would be quite happy to do as I did in 1962 and also to leave in 1996. Those 34 years included flying 7 quite different fighters in all fighter roles and I can honestly say that the RAF during that period provided fantastic opportunities for excitement, social life, travel, sport and job satisfaction.

I hope those who serve today have as much to enjoy.

dakkg651
3rd Apr 2008, 13:59
Wouldn't you have had to join the Royal Navy to be able to fly a Vixen?

Late twenties/early thirties definitely. As long as you were on a fighter squadron!

C130 Techie
3rd Apr 2008, 15:34
Around 1968, 10 years earlier than I actually did. I would then have done tours on Vulcan and Buccaneer and Lightning in mainstream of their time rather than towards the end. (1979 Vulcan, 1982 Bucc, 1984 Lightning).

Saintsman
3rd Apr 2008, 16:44
I would have liked to have seen more of the world but when I joined up in the 70s, the options were shrinking so maybe 10 years earlier might have been better.

But if you take in aircraft, the 50s must have been exciting with all the new development aircraft that was produced when Britain had an aerospace industry that was somewhat more 'adventurous'.

advocatusDIABOLI
3rd Apr 2008, 18:25
1951, My Dad flew Meteors / F86 Sabres and Hunters on his First tour! All on the same squadron!:D

Advo

effortless
3rd Apr 2008, 18:45
1943, you had to work a lot harder to get chopped.:}

Fitter2
3rd Apr 2008, 18:58
For the 2 winged sky gods of Fighter Command, the '30s best flying club in the world probably.

For us erks the 60's were happy enough - still interesting parts of the world to go, and much happier than I hear tell from current serving personnel.

peppermint_jam
3rd Apr 2008, 19:50
Early 50's for me, the age when it seemed there was a new type flown every week! Before the demise of the British Aircraft industry began.

BEagle
3rd Apr 2008, 19:57
1954. Just late enough to avoid the Coronation bull$hit, yet just before the post-Korean War drawdown started....

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/RAF1954.jpg

...and with all sorts of fast, noisy, pointy things coming into service!

neilmac
3rd Apr 2008, 21:30
Well you seemed to have the best time........these days well..............I can only be negative so i wont say any more ish! All the gentleman who post saying great times pre 90s well we have changed soo much!! People on shop floor still brill just what can you do with 42,000, when I joined 1987........102,000.

nm

Op_Twenty
3rd Apr 2008, 21:50
70's Phantoms, Vulcans flying low level - I like that...

Fg Off Max Stout
3rd Apr 2008, 23:45
My old man was in from 1958-1968, lived in Aden, Singapore and Hong Kong and entered I think, 22 different types into his logbook. I think that was probably the apogee of the RAF and the British aero industry. If I could choose, I would probably go for that decade.

That said, if you are a helo mate, I would say that last 10 years have been up there. Serious ops, some pretty cool training dets and despite the doom and gloom, some good fun to be had at home base!

Dan D'air
3rd Apr 2008, 23:59
I would have to go for the USA in the late '40's and early '50's. All of the brand new stuff, not to mention Yeager, Crossfield, Armstrong et al......

Beatriz Fontana
4th Apr 2008, 07:31
Definitely the Buccaneer. My dad still raves about them. But then girlies weren't allowed to fly them. Rotters.

henry crun
4th Apr 2008, 08:07
Beagle: Smart move to avoid the Coronation bull$hit.

After all that polishing she didn't even look at it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/crun9/Odiham1953.jpg

Rigga
4th Apr 2008, 08:12
I think I did quite well (joining as an Airframe Mechanic) going from 1975 all the way through to 1999.

I started on Whirlwinds and ended on Harrier GR7/9, seeing lots of "action" at home and abroad, and working on "Classics" including Hueys and Buccs for some years. And eleven years in Germany out of 24 in total.

The good bits - All the helicopters (14 years) and Buccs (4 years)

The bad bits - Enduring a tour of Tornado ground crews (that thought they were as good as aircrew - but certainly weren't good engineers) and Harriers (though Germany made up for that).

The last two tours (and Tony B-liar' s obvious reduction plans) was enough to drive me out into the big world.

Wensleydale
4th Apr 2008, 08:13
If I'd joined 3 years earlier, (and I was 3 years older) I'd just be getting my pension! Oh I wish.....

Ogre
4th Apr 2008, 08:36
1976, five years earlier than I did. I could have spent longer on Buccaneers than I did, but there was still a lot going on with Jaguar, Lightning, Phantom etc.

Plus I could have left at the same time with a pension rather than waiting until I'm old(er) and grey(er)

GZ stickman
4th Apr 2008, 10:14
Definitely the post WW2 era (1948ish) when the RAF was still basking in the glory of saving the country from the Germans! You could still walk into a bar in your wings emblazoned No.1's and have beautiful women gratefully throw themselves at you (fully encouraged by their mothers, no doubt.) Then do 10 years or so basking in the adoration of the proud public, before slipping easily over into the emerging airline business of the 50's and 60's - where pilots were gods, hosties where all female, and you made enough money to make King Solomon blush! Retire on a government destroying pension, make millions from the emerging housing market, and now be sitting on your own Island at aged 80 regaling your youth to your 30 year old wife and her model friends.

But hey, you wouldn't have flown the fast pointy noisey things - but you wouldn't have been sat on QRA throughout the cold war either!

sisemen
4th Apr 2008, 16:07
Joined 1963, left 1993. Vulcans for a fair slice. Finningley when it was a real RAF base and not a kindergarten. Bit of Middle East when there seemed to be a base every 100 miles or so. Buccs and the first Tornado.

Wouldn't have changed it for the world - except I would have liked to have done it with what I know now!

buoy15
4th Apr 2008, 18:00
1962-2004
Halcyon days of aircraft, other industries, and Empire bases - horse-hair Battledress and Barathea No1's - Silver and Pink Valiants - swapping a stamp for a Woodbine in the tuck shop at St Athan before pay day - spending your last 2s/9p on a visit to the Camp Stack and an egg roll at the Sandy's Home in Ballykelly - minesweeping peanut sauce outside the Tengah bar - swapping labels on Keo Kokinneli and Brandy Demi Johns to beat the Customs - sporting the latest American gas Barbie when your mates were still discovering charcoal - a succesful Cold War - a 3 day week - time promotion and being proud to wear your uniform in public, plus a mega pay rise up front!

Then the rot set in - struggling to remember names and dates now

Sorry, must go - my nurse has arrived with my free Veterans Badge, which hopefully, will allow me loads of free rides when I next go to the States

PS - I live 100yds (sorry, 30ish metres) from the beach - so, no regrets of not having mentioned missing the Sandpit in 2002 - Oman - Oh Man:{

BEagle
4th Apr 2008, 18:24
That post was all going sooo well until the statement:

".......sporting the latest American gas Barbie when your mates were still discovering charcoal"

Oh dear, oh dear. Surely you knew that gas is gay :eek:?

mike_alpha_papa
4th Apr 2008, 18:59
1961 - 1998

Started on Thor missiles at N Luffenham, finished in staff appointment at HQLC.

In between some great postings and detachments worldwide, variety of jobs, but most important the cameraderie and fun. Up until late 80s it was anyway, but then came change......!

Work hard - play hard!

MAP

buoy15
4th Apr 2008, 20:35
Beags, my Bonny lad
Quite chuffed you nearly made it to the end of ny post - Suppose you are now carbon free but still faffing about with charcoal at the weekend eh?
Join the gang - go for gas! Even old farts like you and me are full of it!

nathangba
4th Apr 2008, 21:01
I enjoyed my time in the Air Force. Joined in 77 left in 89. Served mainly on Jaguars an Hercules. They were the good years. Miss the fun,beercalls,travelling freindships. Now work for major Airline with new terminal !!

Melchett01
4th Apr 2008, 21:12
As I always enjoyed history and was amazed when I was invited to climb all over and inside the Lancaster at Duxford, I think I'd have to go for late 30s / early 40s through to 50s-60s. You could feel the history just oozing out of the rivets and spars and getting to spend time in the rear gun turret was enough to send a shiver down my spine and bring a tear to my eye.

Would love to have flown bombers operationally at that time - even with the risk of being posted to a death trap like the early Blenheims. Lancs would undoubtedly be up there towards the top of the list, possibly along side Pathfinder Mossies.

sisemen
6th Apr 2008, 13:05
sporting the latest American gas Barbie

If that's one of them dolls that f*rts a lot then it must be gay.