PDA

View Full Version : Sigmar Aviation Jet Pilot Programme

martyn83
3rd Apr 2008, 10:30
Hi I have been reading a lot of threads about all the different types of training and people's experience's but would appreciate some none B.S. advice from people in the know.

I have been accepted on to Sigmar Aviation's Jet Pilot Programme and now is the time when I have to find the 95,000 euro's (74,609.46 GBP) it will cost. After speaking to a few banks although I have a guarantor it seems like it will take a few seperate loans to pay for. Obviously this is a huge amount of money and I will only be able to do this with the help of my parents and brother.

Im 24 and have no real responsibilites of my own but can’t help but wonder if this is the best route in to flying. I’m not living in a bubble where I think I will do my training and a job will be handed on a plate to me as I wont even have a TR or many hours. I’ve worked at an airport for 8 years so I am not naïve about the aviation industry and have spoken to colleagues and flight crews about this.

Obviously Sigmar have talked themselves up to me and said they help find jobs but always avoid the question of how involved they actually are, for all I know I could do the training then they just leave me to it especially as they are based in Dublin and I am in London.

What Im really asking is what would people do in my shoes if they had the chance to do integrated?
I think time is still on my side so also wonder would modular be the best route for me as it would cost less and hopefully mean I don’t have to involve my family?
If this is the case can anyone recommend a good place to do my PPL and CPL here or abroad?
I have also seen talk about people becoming FI’s and wonder people’s views on that to help in there career?

Thanks in advance

ChriSat
3rd Apr 2008, 10:40
Personally I think that you would be better off with Oxford aviation, Cabair or CTC - the larger UK Integrated schools. This reduces the risk factor (sigmar jetpp is a very small operation) and costs you very little more, i'm budgeting just under £80k all in for the full 67 weeks at OAA. Visit the schools and see what you think. :ok:

Modular is also an option, but if you want to fly airliners, integrated is definatley the way to go, as they teach you to become an airline pilot rather than a Flight instructor.

Chris.

martyn83
3rd Apr 2008, 10:47
Thinks Chris I was chating to someone at work about not doing it with Sigmar and seeing if I get accepted with Oxford especially as they seem to gave an agreement with HSBC about financing the training where Sigamr have just left me to it.

ChriSat
3rd Apr 2008, 11:24
Yes the HSBC financing is very useful - and the employment stats at all three of the mentioned schools are impressive but sigmar's stats are unpublished.

You pays your money, at the end of the day when you finish your training if they are crying out for FO's, if you were integrated or modular, as long as you met their screening requirements you would get in. If they were more selective i rekon they would go for the Integrated student over the modular because the course is more structed. But with the downturn in the economy its impossible to predict how things will progress, air travel could be unaffected, it could boom or it could dip. No one knows.

:ok:

Chris.

Persephone
3rd Apr 2008, 12:39
Hi martyn83,
Im also looking at FTO's at present. Not sure if you are aware of this but www.flyer.co.uk/exhibitions (http://www.flyer.co.uk/exhibitions) - Most FTO's seem to be attending this exhibition.
It probably a good place to attain information other than visit the college of course. :)

doctordoom
3rd Apr 2008, 17:34
Go to the U.S do your PPL come home do your ATPL exams Go back to the U.S do 100 hours hour building come home and do your CPL ME/IR in the U.K and save yourself £35,000 it's that simple :ok: and because you are spreding out the training you can pay as you go and dont have to hit the banks for a huge amount, but dont tell anbody about this its the best kept secret in aviation:oh:. People will make you belive that you will only get hired by doing a fully intergrated course bit its not the case.

ChriSat
3rd Apr 2008, 17:54
""at the end of the day when you finish your training and they are crying out for FO's, if you were integrated or modular, as long as you met their screening requirements you would get in.""
I tried to be as neutral as possible... :{

martyn83
3rd Apr 2008, 20:46
Thanks for all the feedback so far I appreciate it all, im open to all the different routes and to be honest I have been leaning away from doing it integrated and have been thinking about the instructor route or just taking my time over the next couple of years to avoid all the pressure and stress that goes with an integrated course.

Can anyone recomend any good flight schools either here or oversees to do my initial PPL?

MilesDavis
4th Apr 2008, 16:34
Hi Martyn, I came through the JPP course with Sigmar. Now working as an FO. Feel free to PM me and I'll fill you in on the details.

Miles

Ginger 1
6th Apr 2008, 14:55
Hey Martyn,

I am currently one of the Sigmar Cadets in South Africa. If you would like any information about the course or the location give me a shout. I like you had the decision to make regarding a couple of FTO's and to this point I dont regret following the Sigmar route. Fell free to PM me.

Oveur
10th Apr 2008, 15:24
Hi guys,

I'm starting the JPP in May. Just counting the days now!