PDA

View Full Version : Are we entitled to free eye test?

Richard Spandit
3rd Apr 2008, 08:55
Computer users are entitled to free eye tests from their employers, who are also required to pay for glasses if required. I know the aviation industry tends to get round a lot of 'elf and safety legislation (noisy cockpit in a B757?) but have they wriggled out of this one or are we entitled to demand (politely) payment for eye test and glasses?

parkfell
4th Apr 2008, 02:07
Free eye tests in Scotland, but you pay for your glasses unless you qualify for an exemption - low income etc

2close
5th Apr 2008, 23:09
Simple answer is yes. If you are a user of computer screen technology you are entitled to free eye tests and prescription spectacles.

The Health & Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992 cover this and they apply to any person who uses display screen equipment as a function of their normal job. I would find it very hard to see how any regular user of glass cockpit technology would not fall into the 'User' category.

Most responsible employers employ an Eye Care Voucher system which entitles the user to a free eye test (and repeat eye tests at suitable intervals - 12 or 24 monthly, dependent on certain factors) and to prescription spectacles to a certain value. The normal system is to cover the cost of basic specs and the user has to pay the extra for any designer stuff. My test was covered under this scheme and I think my specs were covered to £ 70 and I had to pay the extra £ 40 or whatever.

The aviation industry is specifically covered by the Civil Aviation (Working Time) Regulations 2004, which brought in one regulation (Reg.6) that said employers must ensure the H&S of all employees (applies to flight crew and cabin crew only).

Health and safety protection at work

6. An employer shall ensure that each crew member employed by him is at all times during the course of that employment provided with adequate health and safety protection and prevention services or facilities appropriate to the nature of his employment.

HTH

2close

PS. Leave the 'elfs alone. What have they ever done to you???;)